VMI post game thread

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Has that always been the case? Why does this sound so new to me? Did I go back in time ... or forward?
As far as I remember for NCAA and NFL. High school used to be a spot foul even behind the line of scrimmage. It was possible to have a 20 yard net penalty for holding. High school changed the rule in 2023 to match NCAA.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm a bit surprised they actually got down the field and scored a TD.That speaks somewhat to our depth which may show up sooner than later with injuries. A small point but----.
we want to be considered a top competitive program but VMI without their #1 QB is not in the category of playing a MId-Am team like Ball St that uM beat 62-zero or Purdue that got buzzed by ND by 57-- two teams that we will see soon.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm a bit surprised they actually got down the field and scored a TD.That speaks somewhat to our depth which may show up sooner than later with injuries. A small point but----.
we want to be considered a top competitive program but VMI without their #1 QB is not in the category of playing a MId-Am team like Ball St that uM beat 62-zero or Purdue that got buzzed by ND by 57-- two teams that we will see soon.

I dont disagree much. I'd add a few caveats tho. We have played more games than anyone else and are really in need of a bye week. It's criminal they didn't give us one until the week after next, but that's a different discussion.

We also have some starters out. It's possible we weren't going 'full tilt boogie' from a coaching standpoint.

Just saying, there could be some reasons we didn't win by 70.

Also, I still remember the days of GT's defense making teams like this look semi-competent. So I'm not too critical of the non-shutout. But I do see where you're coming from.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Their D gave our run game way too much respect. It's hard to block 8 men with 6. We should have thrown the ball every down to make them back off. Singleton was getting a lot of loose single coverage. I don't blame the OL or Haynes for the early struggles in the run game at all.
I think we will see that more and more. We have to burn a few defenses to change that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, the wife and I went. She hates to "waste" a ticket and when my son welshed out, she went despite being bored out of her skull. But I thought it was fun to watch. Sloooo …

• The run game came back. It was grest to see Maddox out there. He played well and is a good counterpart to Haynes. But … I thought the real up point was that Alexander came back and play well too. It may be too late to save Carrie his shirt, but I'm guessing that Maddox will not see extended play as long as Alexander is ready. But I've been wrong about this before and it's up to the coaches.

• I was also glad that Pyron had a chance to play. He's very effective within the 10. As I said to the lady sitting beside me, he's not as cute as King, but he's hell in a straight line. He can throw too, something I tend to forget. It's encouraging to see that your #2 QB is as effective as he was, even though it was against an out matched opponent. Btw, I have said it before: Philo can make any throw on the field and has a very quick release. When he takes over the job - and who knows when - if Wienke is still on staff, look for Jameis Winston, part deux.

• King had a good game, as usual. The Keydets were no match for out WRs; indeed, that was the biggest mismatch of the game. King saw that and did his job.

• The biggest difference was our D. They simply lived n the VMI back field with predictable results. Good play all around, but Tatum seemed everywhere.

• I was glad the coaches agreed to shorten the game. VMI was visibly out matched.

Well, on to Louisville. That will be a revelation for both teams. And probably a squeaker to boot. Hope we win.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the OL, I think we have trouble blockng staright ahead. With the "eye candy", making the DL lean the wrong way, we were succsful. That's not exactly right, but someone smarter than me, please amplify?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just my observations Year to date:

1) We are a better team this year, but we are not as good as I thought we would be by now. It seems we are not making incremental progress game by game. I think this will end up leading to a mediocre result as opposed to a significant improvement over last year.
2) King is a good quarterback, but he still is not a difference maker. I agree that he is thinking too much and overly concerned about making a mistake, i. e. interception. He is not playing with much joy. He continually looks besieged and down. I wish our coaches would work on that more and help him out.
3) It looks like our offensive and defensive lines were overrated going into this year. I kind of expected that from the D Line but I really thought our O Line would be very good and so far they are average. Our D Line is better against the run, but they are terrible at producing a pass rush. You would think with as many big strong young men that we have playing those positions that at least a couple of them would have enough dog in them to consistently pressure the passer. I am beginning to doubt our coaching and player selection in that regard. This will prevent us from being a championship level team until we get it corrected.
4) We are a slow starting team and that puts us behind the 8 ball. That is hard to overcome against good competition and we need to find a way to jump start our guys at the beginning of the game and the second half.
5) Our kicking game is subpar. Our field goal kicker has already lost us a game and I really get anxious every time our punter takes the field. He is so inconsistent that it is hard to watch. I was hoping for more out of this group.

I know this criticism might be negative, but I really think we are underachieving vs. the talent and coaching we have. I hope we can begin to grow and build and improve as the season goes along. Right now, I do not see that happening, but it still is a possibility. I really hope we find the formula to make that happen.

Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

1) We are a better team this year, but we are not as good as I thought we would be by now. It seems we are not making incremental progress game by game. I think this will end up leading to a mediocre result as opposed to a significant improvement over last year.
2) King is a good quarterback, but he still is not a difference maker. I agree that he is thinking too much and overly concerned about making a mistake, i. e. interception. He is not playing with much joy. He continually looks besieged and down. I wish our coaches would work on that more and help him out.
3) It looks like our offensive and defensive lines were overrated going into this year. I kind of expected that from the D Line but I really thought our O Line would be very good and so far they are average. Our D Line is better against the run, but they are terrible at producing a pass rush. You would think with as many big strong young men that we have playing those positions that at least a couple of them would have enough dog in them to consistently pressure the passer. I am beginning to doubt our coaching and player selection in that regard. This will prevent us from being a championship level team until we get it corrected.
4) We are a slow starting team and that puts us behind the 8 ball. That is hard to overcome against good competition and we need to find a way to jump start our guys at the beginning of the game and the second half.
5) Our kicking game is subpar. Our field goal kicker has already lost us a game and I really get anxious every time our punter takes the field. He is so inconsistent that it is hard to watch. I was hoping for more out of this group.

I know this criticism might be negative, but I really think we are underachieving vs. the talent and coaching we have. I hope we can begin to grow and build and improve as the season goes along. Right now, I do not see that happening, but it still is a possibility. I really hope we find the formula to make that happen.

Go Jackets!
We have good ACC talent but not Great ACC talent. There are a bunch of teams in the conference with similar talent to GT's level. I am not sure we line up across any ACC team and simply say we are much better across the board. Better talent than 3-4 ACC teams likely. Worse talent than 3-4 ACC teams likely. Only Miami left on our ACC slate is far above GT in talent across the board. I still see 7-5 as our ceiling this year! We are getting better though. It takes a while from as far down as we were 2 years ago!

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Agree with most of what you stated, but not sure how you’re concluding that our kicking game is subpar.

Yes, Birr is only 2/2 in FG, and should have made the 45-yarder at Syracuse. That’s a very small sample size to judge from, and one of his misses was from 50+. He was a 90% kicker last year. That’s pretty darn good. He’s also 20/20 in extra points, the vast majority of his kickoffs are touchbacks, and he's 1/1 on successful onside kicks. A decent performance overall. Tell me, which game did he lose? I recall a game-winner in Ireland. I think he is likely to be a good-to-excellent kicker for us this year.

Sorry you find Shanahan hard to watch this year, but it’s not 2021 anymore. He’s averaging nearly 44 yards a punt despite kicking short sometimes to place the ball inside the 20 like he did twice on Saturday. That's a solid average. I’ve seen only one “subpar” punt of 39 yards which he redeemed by a 61-yarder, both in the ‘Cuse game. How many of his 12 punts did you consider bad or inconsistent? How many have been blocked? For reference, Pressley Harvin's average was 48 when he won the Ray Guy award. If that's where your bar is placed, be prepared for disappointment.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Agree with a lot of what you say about the lines, still a concern as you pointed out. Disagree about the kicking game...to me its the least of our worries.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Aaron Murray made a similar comment in his FSU game analysis. Several times he commented that King should get the ball out a split second sooner, even if the play ended up being successful. I chalked that up to it being the first game of the season. It's a bit concerning that it persists into the fourth game.
I think this is just who he is, TBH. His accuracy numbers have been really strong this year and he’s reading the defense better / making better decisions. Net positive over last year, but he’s not elite/high draft pick material. A small step below that, not to mention his toughness and running add to his value.

The QB from Syracuse demonstrated elite passing skills, IMO. None of this to bag on King - he’s leading us to victory and playing amazing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think this is just who he is, TBH. His accuracy numbers have been really strong this year and he’s reading the defense better / making better decisions. Net positive over last year, but he’s not elite/high draft pick material. A small step below that, not to mention his toughness and running add to his value.

The QB from Syracuse demonstrated elite passing skills, IMO. None of this to bag on King - he’s leading us to victory and playing amazing.
On tv I saw SCuse Qb put on clinic of how to dice up a zone defense while he had a clean pocket. Made great throws in first half. Not nearly as good against combo man zone in 2nd half. At I also saw King make great deep throws at Benz against Loiusville in 2nd quarter.

Our coaches are a run first, pass only to clearly open wr.
That could be due to qb/wr inability. As we face touher teams we will have to take chances that our wr can win one on one battle.

We are in good shape at qb /wr with health competent room. FSU starting qb is lost, NCst has a freshmen qb playing due to injured starter. Louisville good 2023 qb and wr are graduated - so total rebuild.
We could suprise.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
On tv I saw SCuse Qb put on clinic of how to dice up a zone defense while he had a clean pocket. Made great throws in first half. Not nearly as good against combo man zone in 2nd half. At I also saw King make great deep throws at Benz against Loiusville in 2nd quarter.

Our coaches are a run first, pass only to clearly open wr.
That could be due to qb/wr inability. As we face touher teams we will have to take chances that our wr can win one on one battle.

We are in good shape at qb /wr with health competent room. FSU starting qb is lost, NCst has a freshmen qb playing due to injured starter. Louisville good 2023 qb and wr are graduated - so total rebuild.
We could suprise.
Reload is a better term. Brohm is a proven excellent coach. He has worked the Portal well again this year. The QB is a 6th year guy who played 2 years at Oregon and 3 at Texas Tech. Their leading receiver is a 4th year guy who played his first 3 years at Alabama. They will have a good offense. Brohm's teams are always good on offense. Our defense will need to have their best game this week!

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
F69399EB-9894-46CB-8DEB-7A74414A4E7B.jpeg

I just wanna say our uniforms looked so good. When the team ran out in their gold helmets and the band played the fight song I got a dopamine hit in the stands lol. I felt like a kid again.