VMI post game thread

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow

Agree wholeheartedly. And it was very respectful and showed good sportsmanship that the two head coaches agreed to play the two quarters after halftime at 10 minutes each, so I was told by a suite owner in the South end zone. As a military retiree, I have lots of respect for VMI, a 1,600 student military university with the sole purpose of producing military officers. Several of my friends are general officers who graduated from the Virginia Military Institute. By the way, your father Randy Rhino and I shared many meals at Miss Twiggs' training table in the early 1970's, along with the infamous Swarm member Deep Snap.
Thank you for your service American Bad A$$!! THWG

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
How about that pass by Philo near the end?
Just getting to the board, and wanted to specifically mention this. That ball was really, really nice. He didn’t have his feet set and had to throw it right while moving left, and it was spot on. That’s one of the most natural long balls I’ve seen thrown on The Flats in a long time.

I know he’s a freshman and it’s one throw, but at least this is a positive sign.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
For mid-September the temperature and sun were perfect, and if there's going to be rain this is the way for it to have been.

Kudos to the AD department for having the music volume being very reasonable!!

Was disappointed in the crowd size, but understand considering the forecast.
Crowd was over 30,000 though, at 31,700. Not terrible all things considered

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
The student section in lower north was fairly full, in spite of the weather and opponent.

Wifi reception still sux in the lower west stands.

Can’t add much to previous comments on game stats, but it was good to see the non starters get playing time. Nice to see the new rbs - #28 Maddox much bigger than the others. #87 Stockton made some nice catches.

Biggers was went down late in 2nd Q, but walked off field and went into tent for a few minutes. He stayed out 2nd half but stayed dressed out, with nothing wrapped up. Did not appear to be limping. Hopefully all will be ok w him next Saturday.

Hard to believe next week will be game #5, before the end of September.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Proud of the guys today. It’s been a while since we handled our business against an opponent that was outmatched. Lots of dust cleaned out and some fresh faces getting action. Hope the rest for our 1s pays off next weekend. No injuries that I could tell which is also nice. File it away and start prepping for what really matters next week against Louisville.
Did we ever get an update on Biggers? He walked off with a knee injury late in the first half. Otherwise pretty clean as you say.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed the good game we played today. But I have one big concern bugging me. The kickoff coverage. Something I know something about. Not a problem when Birr hits it long into the end zone.

When we line up to kick (5 on each side of the kicker) the spacing is about equal between all players, including the kicker. Since the kicker does not run his lane the result is double spacing where the kicker is missing on coverage. These two players on each side of the kicker do not converge as they run their lanes, resulting in a wide alley to return the ball. I noticed that two blockers move into that space and force our two coverage players to be even further apart. My seat in the N stands is aligned on the east hashmark where the kickoff is placed when we kick south. I have a clear view of coming disaster. I can see that return alley being and staying very wide. I watched every kickoff today and fortunately this opponent could not get to the alley. However Ga State hit that alley for a big return on the opening kickoff last week. UCF hit that alley in the Bowl game.

Players on each side of the kicker need to close down their spacing apart before the kick and they should maintain that spacing on coverage while running their lanes. I believe this is a flaw in our coverage that will bite us again. Not much else to complain about today as we took care of business.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree wholeheartedly. And it was very respectful and showed good sportsmanship that the two head coaches agreed to play the two quarters after halftime at 10 minutes each, so I was told by a suite owner in the South end zone. As a military retiree, I have lots of respect for VMI, a 1,600 student military university with the sole purpose of producing military officers. Several of my friends are general officers who graduated from the Virginia Military Institute. By the way, your father Randy Rhino and I shared many meals at Miss Twiggs' training table in the early 1970's, along with the infamous Swarm member Deep Snap.
Tommy were you playing the last time we played VMI? Circa 1974 or 75? Probably after your time on the Flats. It was when we were running the wishbone. They were more competitive that game as I dimly recall from my perch in the north stands.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just getting to the board, and wanted to specifically mention this. That ball was really, really nice. He didn’t have his feet set and had to throw it right while moving left, and it was spot on. That’s one of the most natural long balls I’ve seen thrown on The Flats in a long time.

I know he’s a freshman and it’s one throw, but at least this is a positive sign.
Yesss. As I've said here before, Philo can make any throw, long, medium, or short, and he doesn't need all the time in the world to set his feet or release the ball. Watching him and Pyron next spring will be a coach's dream. We'll have to see how that works out.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
How about Maddox? Does this mean he's ahead of Carrie? Nice to let Jamal rest.

When Haynes took that late hit before halftime, I was thinking get him out of there.
I thought Carrie was bigger than he actually is at 195 lbs. Nice to see Maddox coming along at 210 lbs, giving us a truly bigger back option to compliment Jamal, as well as Carrie.