Virginia

Deleted member 2897

I am stepping away from GT athletics for a period. Between another wasted year in baseball and the dump heap that men’s & women’s basketball are in right now, it’s just a waste of time, energy and passion. I am sure that I will be back, probably sooner before later as white & gold is in my DNA it seems.

Sadly, I don’t blame you.

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
I wasn't even going to try to follow the game today, just to hard on a senior fellow. Then the grandson comes to get the great grandson that we kept last night. I ask the wife what the plans are for the rest of the day, and she ask what time the game starts to day. We gone!!!! Maybe we'll be their good luck charm!!!

Deleted member 2897

I mean we just got 3 runs in that inning, so that’s good. But we had 9 batters come to the plate. I mean that is the theoretical worst you could possibly do with 9 batters is only end up with 3 runs. Sigh.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just got back from yard work and going to Yorktown. Couldn't stay away either.

Up 7-1. Time for Gibson to come in and make it interesting?

Serratos has had 2 PO attempts and 0 success so far today. An error; his fielding % for the year is a gawd awful .841. Has 7 POs in 30 attempts. Why other teams just focus on hitting / bunting to him I don't know. Batting .267 RISP and .282 overall, he is a poster child for Hall's stubbornness to try out other players.

We are doing a good job of running up the count. UVa on 4th pitcher today. Should help for tomorrow.

Left 11 on through 6. It's hard to average 2 base runners LOB an inning and not have scored 12 to 15.

Deleted member 2897

Just got back from yard work and going to Yorktown. Couldn't stay away either.

Up 7-1. Time for Gibson to come in and make it interesting?

Serratos has had 2 PO attempts and 0 success so far today. An error; his fielding % for the year is a gawd awful .841. Has 7 POs in 30 attempts. Why other teams just focus on hitting / bunting to him I don't know. Batting .267 RISP and .282 overall, he is a poster child for Hall's stubbornness to try out other players.

We are doing a good job of running up the count. UVa on 4th pitcher today. Should help for tomorrow.

Left 11 on through 6. It's hard to average 2 base runners LOB an inning and not have scored 12 to 15.

Yep, it’s been a high number of games lately where we have left on almost 2 runners per inning. I guess if I try to look at the bright side, we could be close to scoring a bunch of runs if we can figure out the equation.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
We should be 4-1 in conference and yet we sit at 2-3. Still, we did everything we could do today. Need to get the series tomorrow and move on. 3-3 isn't so bad.

Can you imagine if we were 3-3 after Miami and UVA a couple seasons ago? We'd be right in the thick of it!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Good win today. Excellent pitching from both Thomas and Chapman. I wish Hall would use Chapman more, along with Mannelly, Shirah, Brace, and Roedig. Defense was good, except for Serratos. Offense is still not fully clicking which is a very scary thought. I love the adjustment that Radcliff has made at the plate this year. Dude has more walks than strikeouts and is very patient. I think that he will take over McCann's spot as the power hitter next year. Guldberg is also just ridiculously good, that kid is a pure hitter.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Got a win. 7-3. Surprised Gibson didn't come in, Chapman had a nice two innings.

Serratos had a nice simple play in the 8th. Made an error on an easy play in the 9th. Come on Danny, stop being such a stubborn jackas$.

I listened to Demetra for the last time; all is sunshine and unicorns flying. Roddy said that Hall had to have Serratos in for his fielding and hitting. Please. Last week I listened to the Miami announcers and liked them because they weren't total homers and were objective about Miami's weaknesses. Kind of like Wiley who has moved up to women's softball (more listeners probably).

I like Waddell at SS even though Austin is really good there too.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The offense is getting contributions up & down lineup. That is great to see. One can only hope that by some miracle... Chapman just demonstrated it is ok to see about finding more/different reliable bullpen arms going forward.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep, it’s been a high number of games lately where we have left on almost 2 runners per inning. I guess if I try to look at the bright side, we could be close to scoring a bunch of runs if we can figure out the equation.

How about this for a theory?

We are leaving a lot of people on base since we aren't hitting that well and are getting a lot of baserunners from walks and HBP (English).

I just looked at the WF box score; they scored 22 runs and left 5 on base. NC State (19-0!!!!) beat FSU by score of 9-8 with walkoff hit. Point is NC State 9 runs, 4LOB. FSU 8 runs and 10 LOB. (There is a lot of great ACC baseball going on.)

Overall I like our more selective and patient batting approach better this year. Two drawbacks though:
1) The game is way to long at 4 hours.
2) It may be the reason Murray and Serratos and English don't have the average they did last year. Either they are injured (Murray is out, English overused and gimpy) or their heads are messed up by the new approach. They were better in summer ball so I have to question if it's the approach.

Benefits:
1) It runs up the pitch count to get to the bullpen earlier.
2) It keeps the other team on the field and stresses them more.
3) It is what elite teams seem to do; they just hit better RISP.

I got over last night and went to the game today. It was very enjoyable and beats watching at home. We really need to win this series.

I'm really hoping we put it together enough that I can justify going to the ACC tourney. That is only 4 hours vice 10 to Atlanta from where I live.

I may get over Friday's pitcher selection if we win today. I have to stop thinking and enjoy the moment. (I didn't respond to the troll post on Xanax .....)

That being said, our RPI after the win is 72. We are well outside any bubble so we have to get a lot better or we'll be watching others again in the NCAAs.

Ramblin'Man

Banned
Gibson really needs to earn his way back to the diamond.

so so pathetic our HC is the only one that doesn't realize this, fire CDH now please. Gibson sux donkey ballz and blows every game he enters.

This years team has mastered snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory, goodness we are turrible horrible and need to just blow this whole program up and start over

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The..... no "a".... problem with Hall (& by extension...the team). & this is all mounting general bitterness on my part with no facts (just feelings) to back it up. [keep that in mind... I could be flat wrong about what follows]

This team (for years now) considers a weekend like they just had a "success". You never hear them speak of a goal to sweep a series. They talk about winning them. I'm not saying they only want to win 2. I'm saying they are more than satisfied only winning 2. I would hope they are pissed right now. Missed opportunity.

Before this series... many on this board agreed UVA was a sweep-able series. Turns out... Tech could have swept. But they didn't.

I won't get it.... but I'd really like to hear Hall or Ramsey or a player actually sound pissed & unhappy with the final 2-1 outcome this weekend. ...& reflect on missed opportunities at Miami. However... instead we move on to another road series next weekend & Im sure a plan to just survive... try so hard to win 2; but understand it's "the ACC" & despite excellent talent on this roster, it's just too hard to win more than you lose.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

The..... no "a".... problem with Hall (& by extension...the team). & this is all mounting general bitterness on my part with no facts (just feelings) to back it up. [keep that in mind... I could be flat wrong about what follows]

This team (for years now) considers a weekend like they just had a "success". You never hear them speak of a goal to sweep a series. They talk about winning them. I'm not saying they only want to win 2. I'm saying they are more than satisfied only winning 2. I would hope they are pissed right now. Missed opportunity.

Before this series... many on this board agreed UVA was a sweep-able series. Turns out... Tech could have swept. But they didn't.

I won't get it.... but I'd really like to hear Hall or Ramsey or a player actually sound pissed & unhappy with the final 2-1 outcome this weekend. ...& reflect on missed opportunities at Miami. However... instead we move on to another road series next weekend & Im sure a plan to just survive... try so hard to win 2; but understand it's "the ACC" & despite excellent talent on this roster, it's just too hard to win more than you lose.

Yup. It would not have taken much to lose this series. Can’t go 1-2 on the road and 2-1 at home and end up anywhere. We’ve gotta win a series on the road sometime and/or sweep a team at home. Especially when it’s trams like Miami and Virginia.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was an unearned win. The run in the fifth was only on a LF mis-play. Thank you.

Next weekend we play a good team. I expect one game to be close and lose the other two. At least if Hall is still coaching.

Best post of the weekend. I'm not as eloquent but also very pissed.

Hughes and Bartnicki are favs. Rest of the shunned pitchers should have an attitude.....

That's what I said Friday. Also in chat I sarcastically said to bring in Gibson to make it interesting.

Hall and his favs. Thank God and Allah and Jehovah and every other deity we have enough talent to overcome Hall's coaching today against an average team. This afternoon we saw one of those shunned pitchers, Jake Lee. Walked a batter and was pulled. That kid can / could pitch. I saw him mow UVa down three years ago. A non-fav wasted talent. Contrast that to the UVa coach who used a three pitchers in the 7th and 8th yesterday just to get them a little bit of game time experience. There is a reason UVa has had more success than we have recently and it starts with coaching.

Come on guys. Don’t go pushing that panic button, at least wait til after Sunday. So far,a gut wrenching , but at least ,very interesting season. Hopefully we start coming out on the good end of these wild and woolly games. Think I’ll have another beer.

Interesting season shaping up to see if we can eke into a bubble spot. No reason to panic, we know what it's like to go nowhere.

I had some vodka, more later.

Poor Oscar. Sad.

Who has the worst fielding % at third in the ACC? I'd bet Serratos. I'd put Weddell at third, Austin at SS, WEbb at 2nd and English at 1st. Weddell has had some great plays at SS and the throw is as long as 3rd. I shouldn't get on Serratos so much, he actually made two put outs today with no errors.

OK, I like Brice Zimmerman announcing. Probably second to Wiley. Guy keeps up a banter and is up front honest. In the B7th before the carnage, he said that no lead was safe for GT. Turns out he was right, but we all here knew that. Confirmed when Gibson came in. As a note, if I listen to Tune-In on my phone (with headphones) I can delay the call to about what is on TV.

Finally, I was not man enough to watch the end of the game. After the Bartnicki 5 pitch walk and single off English, I started recording the game. Got some vodka and read a really good book ("Shaman" by Noah Gordon) until 1630 and then checked score. No reason to sweat something that wasn't enjoyable to me. I do have on recording and will watch now with much less stress ........