Virginia

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is a "must" win series. UVA is 0-4 away from home this year. Last year's road record was 5-12. ALL of Wahoo nation will be paying attention to Charlotte (they couldn't care about anything else, right now)

I want to see steady evidence this season will be different/better for Tech. Hopefully, CDH will use more arms than he did in Miami. I want to see that.

At this point last year, Tech was 9-7 (0-3). This year 11-6 (1-2). But frankly, just a little better than last year has to be the floor for this team. Need a great weekend of baseball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree this is a 'must" win if we want to go to the NCAAs. If we only win one, we've dug a hole that will be require playing much better than we have to date. We have an RPI of 53 and a predicted RPI of 62; we have to change that and can't go any lower at the 1/3 point of the season and hope to even be a bubble team.

I *expect* we win two and *hope* to win three. But I'm always afraid of UVa given the runs I've seen them put on; just hope its after this weekend. But this year's UVa team has serious problems, especially hitting.

8-8 UVa has a 226 RPI. They deserve a very low RPI. They lost on Weds 14-5 to @Liberty. They lost the series 1-2 last weekend @UVa to Duke. The weekend before they split 1-1 to Seton Hall (RPI 285). And lost 9-3 mid-week before to a good William&Mary (12-2).

We win two at home, we get no notice since it's what we should. We win three at home, the narrative will be that UVa has lost it. But it will set us up for @L'Ville next weekend. The future is now.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will be sorely disappointed with anything less than a sweep.

I'll probably be disappointed.

Deleted member 2897

True, I mean with how bad Virginia is playing this year, going 2-1 is honestly going to just be a "meh". Which is a shame, because its hard to sweep. But we can't go 1-2 on the road and 2-1 at home all year and get anywhere.

We MUST go 2-1 and then beat Mercer next week to take it to 14-7 heading into Louisville.

A few years ago we started 12-0 and that didn't get us anywhere either. So I'm not so concerned about being 11-6 versus 9-7...I mean, its nice to be a bit better this year, but we have to play better than 0.500 ball in ACC play.

A sweep of Virginia, then hopefully the light is back on that this team can do something special.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Any insight in how UVA has fallen so far in a relative short amount of time. 2015 = NCAA champs, 2016, 2017 = upper echelon/near elite, 2018 = average or below, 2019 = in the crapper???

What I’m getting at is are the reallly that bad or just on a bad streak and likely (or possibly could) break out the weekend and look like the 52 Yankees?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Listen for yourself (Coach Howell) is first guest for Wiley in this podcast. Wiley asked some great questions about bullpen use (including English's role...or absence of a role). But Howell managed to leave the actual question(s) unanswered.

Here are those unanswered questions:
1) Ok... yes. In perfect world, you only need to split about 3 innings over a weekend between Hughes & Gibson & we win 3 games. Let's "pretend" it isn't a perfect world.... what would that plan look like?
2) English? Yes. Need his offense... but pretty evasive response related to his "pitching status". [He has not pitched since 3/2]

It's fine to be evasive. Howell owes me nothing.... but give me a sanity check. Anyone hear/interpret anything different than that?

https://ramblinwreck.com/podcast-from-the-flats-episode-20/

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Note of importance: Wiley isn't announcing all weekend.
Friday: As much as I like Roddy, I'll go with Brandt Friday night.
Saturday: Zimmerman is knowledgeable and very frank.
Sunday: Zimmerman.

I hope Austin is back. He was amazing on defense last week in the first game. Kept us from losing several times over.

I like the OF the way it was: Hall, Nick and Baron. Hope we try out someone new at 3rd.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Listen for yourself (Coach Howell) is first guest for Wiley in this podcast. Wiley asked some great questions about bullpen use (including English's role...or absence of a role). But Howell managed to leave the actual question(s) unanswered.

Here are those unanswered questions:
1) Ok... yes. In perfect world, you only need to split about 3 innings over a weekend between Hughes & Gibson & we win 3 games. Let's "pretend" it isn't a perfect world.... what would that plan look like?
2) English? Yes. Need his offense... but pretty evasive response related to his "pitching status". [He has not pitched since 3/2]

It's fine to be evasive. Howell owes me nothing.... but give me a sanity check. Anyone hear/interpret anything different than that?

https://ramblinwreck.com/podcast-from-the-flats-episode-20/

Agree, mostly baseball cliches. Bull Durham comes to mind and the redeeming part of the interview for me was checking up on some of the one liners from the show. Thanks!

What he doesn't address or recognize is that we have a lot of pitching talent we left on the shelf over the weekend. If I were one of the non-favs, I'd have a hard time maintaining a positive attitude. Those guys need chances to make it to the next level too. But it is what it is.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Note of importance: Wiley isn't announcing all weekend.
Friday: As much as I like Roddy, I'll go with Brandt Friday night.
Saturday: Zimmerman is knowledgeable and very frank.
Sunday: Zimmerman.
Well... its Andy Demetra all 3 games on TV play-by-play. Roddy is the color guy.

Just a hunch... but Wiley may be doing the ACC Network (TV) GT softball games v UVA.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
B2. Down 0-2. McCann Hr. Serratos in field hit. Balk. Hall sac fly Serratos to 3rd. Austin FO.

Sweating another missed opportunity but The Baron hits a solid single to tie.

We are doing great running up pitch count at 43 end of second.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thru 3. 5-2 good guys. Offense is doing it in all ways. Infield hits. HR. Double. SAC fly. Bases loaded BB (great AB for Radcliff...nice RBI...his 2nd of game).

Curry settling in (knock on wood). Keep rolling!

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
UVA starter nearing 100 pitches early in B5. Anyone know how UVAs bullpen has been this year?

Staff is 12th in ACC in terms of ERA, per Demetra

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Danny Hall is an absolute idiot. My cleaning lady can manage a baseball game better than him.

This is the third L that he is directly responsible for. He is killing this team.....