Virginia Tech Postgame

Animal02

Banned
This is one of the reasons FSU supposedly made such a quick move (relative to when he was hired) on Taggart. It was impacting ticket sales and support so much (the loss of revenue estimates per game were kinda shocking to me) that it was costing so much in loss revenue/support dollars to keep him that it was better to bite the bullet and pay the buyout to can him.
It took years for me to get interested in following Gt football after attending from 78-83.....as it did with lots of people. It will be even worse this time around with all the other choices around.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
TStan should seriously consider installing video arcades, children’s rides, basically, a carnival beneath the stands, so that when fans get tired of watching what’s happening on the field, they can still find some entertainment on the premises.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask this for those that aren't comfortable about waiting 2,3 or 4 years
What do you expect to be done to speed that up or what can be done ?

Short of firing Collins and going back to an option based coach I don't see any reasonable thing aside for waiting for the recruits to come

We have kids that are good but not "elite" acc level yet

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
What do I expect? Better coaching or a shakeup of the staff. Nobody is getting fired for a while. We all know that, but do you honestly believe that our guys are currently being put in the best position to succeed by this coaching staff? Do you think FCS losses and home shutouts against average teams were inevitable? Is it not reasonable to criticize the way we have played this year?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It’s been that way all year for Curry, the kid has heart and he never gives up but he is in dire need of some coaching. He does the same thing every game. When he doesn’t dance( stutter step) and hits his holes he is a beast but unfortunately he stutter steps more than not, it creates hesitation and he gets caught up in the crowd when he needs to be outside and he can’t fill the gap because he isn’t committing to it.

Thank you, you have described what I was clumsily trying to say. He stutter steps and hesitates instead of filling the gap and playing full throttle. When Ted Roof was linebacker for the Black Watch he moved decisively and took perfect angles to the ball while wading through the trash. He was no faster than Curry but seemingly never took a false step.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me ask this for those that aren't comfortable about waiting 2,3 or 4 years
What do you expect to be done to speed that up or what can be done ?

Short of firing Collins and going back to an option based coach I don't see any reasonable thing aside for waiting for the recruits to come

We have kids that are good but not "elite" acc level yet

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
They might not be “elite”, but we’ve seen numerous games where we just weren’t prepared to play. I skipped a home game for the first time in over 20 years this season. I sat through the least competitive game I’ve seen in BDS Saturday, and this was not an elite opponent. As badly as we’ve been beaten by Clemson the past few years, none of those games compare to this VT game. I’m trying to get motivated to show up this Thursday, but I’m tired of showing up for a completely unprepared and undisciplined brand of football. I never expected a great year, but in our games with the Citadel, Duke, and VT we’ve played like absolute trash. What’s the record for the lowest attendance of an ACC game in BDS history? Because we might beat it on Thursday. I don’t want to hear anymore about TEMPLE’s amazing talent level or how playing hard is a new concept to our players. Our players have been playing hard for years. The effort level is not new. What is new is being completely uncompetitive with many of our average opponents and losing to the Citadel.

DroppedOut

Georgia Tech Fan
I will continue to watch and wait before making my judgment.

I actually think we will win our next game. But that's just me, I suppose....

I think VPI&SU is MUCH better this year than last and many, many on this board refuse to consider that......they started poorly, but have developed extremely well. They have won 5 of their last 6, with the lone loss being to a solid Notre Dame team, on the road, by a single point, on a last second TD. But, if it makes you all feel better to compare this game to last year's game (which is a meaningless exercise) they have fun.

Yesterday was certainly a low point and a bad game all the way around, but I had expected to get thumped....we just got thumped worse than I thought we would. We'll see how this team develops...

This right here. It seems that once they changed up quarterbacks they have been on fire. I don't understand why no one seems to be acknowledging that this VT team seems to be surging.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most of this fanbase wants to beat Clem's Son and UGAG and sniff a playoff. If we wanted to just win coastals, why did we not keep what we had? We were in it a lot. Even with Gailey, we were in it. I thought the CGC guys wanted more.
The Coach retired.

I was referring to CCG. That is where this is headed, if we are fortunate.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This right here. It seems that once they changed up quarterbacks they have been on fire. I don't understand why no one seems to be acknowledging that this VT team seems to be surging.

Because this Virginia Tech team, surging or not, is nowhere near the Beamer Ball teams of the recent past. Losing to Boston College and Duke the way they did creates doubts about just how good they are. They play Pitt this week. It is entirely possible they will get upset and go back to what they have been under Fuente.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I sure hope that our coach only takes responsibility for everything in public, but holds players accountable in private for their mistakes and shortcomings. If not, then the “culture” is a culture of mollycoddling.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Until we can half way control the LOS on both sides of the ball we are going to look bad. It became obvious very quickly to me, and probably to our players also, that we were not going to be in this game and it was going to be a long day. Yates has much more poise and decisiveness but I am not sure I would play him behind this line this year. Hard to judge our coaches given our talent deficit up front but starting the game with a delay penalty, among other things, makes me wonder what in hell is going on with this staff.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

The coaches have been delaying getting the team on the field after time outs all season. This time they held the team longer than they should, but part of the blame is also on the QB. The team broke the sideline huddle with 22 seconds on the play clock (plenty of time to get the play off) but no one including the QB seemed to be aware of the clock as there was no hurry. We were ready for the snap with 4 seconds but still did not hike in time. Poor awareness by a lot of people who should know and do better!

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you, you have described what I was clumsily trying to say. He stutter steps and hesitates instead of filling the gap and playing full throttle. When Ted Roof was linebacker for the Black Watch he moved decisively and took perfect angles to the ball while wading through the trash. He was no faster than Curry but seemingly never took a false step.

Keith Brookings did that also, most LBs are effective when they commit hard, one reason screens are effective. They will however blow up the play even if hey don't make the tackle. Curry is trying to anticipate the movement of the ball carrier rather seeing the development of the play, he dosent see the OL movement and then gets trapped. At times he fails to watch hips, I think he is watching the shoulders of the runners.

There was one play against Pitt where he filled the gap exactly as he is suppose to and met the RB coming through, he then started stutter stepping and got juked and missed the tackle. Im assuming the coaches have worked with him and its a natural tendency he probably isn't even aware of during the actual play

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The coaches have been delaying getting the team on the field after time outs all season. This time they held the team longer than they should, but part of the blame is also on the QB. The team broke the sideline huddle with 22 seconds on the play clock (plenty of time to get the play off) but no one including the QB seemed to be aware of the clock as there was no hurry. We were ready for the snap with 4 seconds but still did not hike in time. Poor awareness by a lot of people who should know and do better!

Sounds like they are focused on lining up right and dont even think about the clock, a learning issue

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Because this Virginia Tech team, surging or not, is nowhere near the Beamer Ball teams of the recent past. Losing to Boston College and Duke the way they did creates doubts about just how good they are. They play Pitt this week. It is entirely possible they will get upset and go back to what they have been under Fuente.
They played Willis against BC and Duke.

Against BC he was sacked twice, threw three picks and lost a fumble. He was credited with 13 carries for 13 yards.

They packaged-subbed Patterson and Hooker against Duke to disastrous results (familiar to us..) including a fumble off a zone read exchange in Hooker's first series that gave duke the ball in the redzone and set them up for their first TD. Up to that point, VT had given up five (5) yards through the first quarter. The end result was Willis credited with 4 rushes for 5 yards and going 7/18 through the air with a pick and one TD for 72 yards on a busted coverage down 28, which was his only pass over 12 yards.

They were running zone read / RPO with a guy who cannot run and was a field position magician for the other side. Willis lost the starting job at Kansas and initially transferred as a walk-on.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
This is one of the reasons FSU supposedly made such a quick move (relative to when he was hired) on Taggart. It was impacting ticket sales and support so much (the loss of revenue estimates per game were kinda shocking to me) that it was costing so much in loss revenue/support dollars to keep him that it was better to bite the bullet and pay the buyout to can him.

And this, in my mind, is absolutely preposterous and indicative of the arms race we're in. Give me a break - it's better to pay $18 mil to a guy to get rid of him than keep him around?

THIS is what GT has to compete against; do you recall that we were so cash-strapped in 09 that we had to take a bus down to Tally to play FSU?

TStan is (hopefully) doing everything he can to raise money for the AA ... but when the school president goes, "Man ... I sure don't like that Willie guy ... and we're losing fan support ... and the number-crunchers just told me we need to write him a check for 18 mil ... OK, let's do it ..." that's a pretty big statement about how important football is to their university culture and life. Yeah, yeah, I get that boosters probably helped out a lot with that 18 million dollar check. How many boosters do we have who can collectively pool together a buyout package like that, minus Dewberry?

I fear some very dark days are ahead of us, regardless of who the AD is or who the coach is. As I and others have repeated ad nauseum, the biggest culture change we need is in the GT admin. Has anyone got any info on the new pres? Is he more into paella and futbol than football? Has he even been to a game this year?

I'm actually glad I got out of coaching. Full disclosure: I am a national championship winning head coach at the FBS level, but I saw where this was going* and retired in 14. The landscape has changed so much in just five years! It was already a game of the "haves" versus the "have-nots" and it will just get worse, particularly if they don't put some sharp rules down on paying players. You think it costs $200k to get a quality D-lineman now? Watch the arms race take off when recruiting visits turn into this:

Kirby: "Hey, Sackamus Maximus. You're the consensus #1 defensive end in the country. I want you to be a dawg."
Maximus: "Auburn said they'd put my picture on the Auburn school paper, $100,000 an issue. There's 12 issues a year. That's $1 million dollars."
Kirby: "It's actually 1.2 million. But we'll put your picture on every beer mug at The Dawg Stank bar down the road. Each picture is $100, and they have 5 million mugs. That's FIVE MILLION DOLLARS!"
Maximus: "NICE!!! Hey, my phone's blowing up. Collins at GT just texted me. They'll put my face on calculus book covers, total package of $5,000."
Kirby: "Hahahaha! You in?"
Maximus: "Where do I put my paw print?"

* I was forced to retire when EA had to stop making NCAA football due to likeness infringement. I actually won multiple national titles, often with 3* or less type of talent.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
63 to be exact
You and gtbowhunter are an amusing pair! Easy to pile on with snarky comments! When was the last time you went to a Tech game without free tickets, when was the last time you made a significant donation to Georgia Tech Athletics. Even more important, when was the last time you said something positive about Georgia Tech Football!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Being in the top 25 consistently is a fantasy. Only a handful of teams has managed that over the last decade or two. Over 90 teams have finished in the top 25 in that same time span.
CPJ has maintaining our historical norm with less and less resources compared to our primary competition. I think the "Offense hurting recruiting" was overblown. I do think it was about time for CPJ to go as well.....but it was more how the game and changed around him.....chop blocking, cut blocking etc. I also think better defenses had figured out to force the QB wearing down the QB over time.
Just an aside, but I was watching the Pats and Eagles last night. Shaq chop blocked two Eagles at the second level in the same series. It was nice to see that.