Virginia Tech Postgame

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Fair point. My argument is Pruitt is going about it more systematically that Geoff. I do think is 2 years, UT will be relevant. I’m not sure about CGC. Maybe he is. But their styles are night and day.

Yeah, I imagine Pruitt has somewhat more to work with than Collins does right now. Last year alone, two 5 stars and ten 4 stars, plus all he has from the previous two superior recruiting classes. Not one bit a fair comparison.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
How hard is it to be patient. We weren’t winning anything this year no matter who our coach was so I really don’t understand why the world is on fire. At the end of this season UGA fans will be way more disappointed about their team than I will be about GT. GT is having to rebuild from the ground up and the rules state we can only sign 25 a year. That’s basically 3 years for our coach to get players that he wants. Collins has already told us what his plan is and he is following it. And some of you want h8m to be honest - no coach is honest because if he were honest you same people would be all over him for throwing others under the bus. Here’s the honest answer he can’t say - we have a large numbers of players seeing playing time who have no business on a D1 football field. Until Collins can flip those players we will continue to lose. Wins and losses do not matte4 at this point just like they didn’t matter to Bobby Ross his first year. Keep recruiting and we’ll be fine.
You're describing the situation as if we're Rutgers. This was a bowl team a year ago with average recruiting classes in the 40s. We were just shutout at home for the first time since the early years of the Cold War, and we lost to an FCS team for the first time in 30 years. Objectively, there are reasons for concern.

Frankly, we're closer to being 0-10 than 3-7. Thank your deity of choice that USF fumbled and Miami's field goal kickers had the yips. We just lost by 45 to a team we beat 49-28 last year. That's a 66 point swing in a calendar year.

Let's say your premise that wins and losses don't matter is true. Does player development matter over the course of the season? We don't seem to have that at all. The inconsistency is troubling. Delay of game penalties on the first snap are concerning. Time management is concerning. Game awareness is concerning. Plenty to objectively be concerned about that can't be hand waived away with lines about recruiting.

You're free to trash the players as much as you would like, especially on this site, but the lion share of the criticism should remain on the individuals that are paid. Ultimately, they are most accountable.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
You're describing the situation as if we're Rutgers. This was a bowl team a year ago with average recruiting classes in the 40s. We were just shutout at home for the first time since the early years of the Cold War, and we lost to an FCS team for the first time in 30 years. Objectively, there are reasons for concern.

Frankly, we're closer to being 0-10 than 3-7. Thank your deity of choice that USF fumbled and Miami's field goal kickers had the yips. We just lost by 45 to a team we beat 49-28 last year. That's a 66 point swing in a calendar year.

Let's say your premise that wins and losses don't matter is true. Does player development matter over the course of the season? We don't seem to have that at all. The inconsistency is troubling. Delay of game penalties on the first snap are concerning. Time management is concerning. Game awareness is concerning. Plenty to objectively be concerned about that can't be hand waived away with lines about recruiting.

You're free to trash the players as much as you would like, especially on this site, but the lion share of the criticism should remain on the individuals that are paid. Ultimately, they are most accountable.

Outstanding post.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I imagine Pruitt has somewhat more to work with than Collins does right now. Last year alone, two 5 stars and ten 4 stars, plus all he has from the previous two superior recruiting classes. Not one bit a fair comparison.

You missed my point. I’m comparing process, not players.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will continue to watch and wait before making my judgment.

I actually think we will win our next game. But that's just me, I suppose....

I think VPI&SU is MUCH better this year than last and many, many on this board refuse to consider that......they started poorly, but have developed extremely well. They have won 5 of their last 6, with the lone loss being to a solid Notre Dame team, on the road, by a single point, on a last second TD. But, if it makes you all feel better to compare this game to last year's game (which is a meaningless exercise) they have fun.

Yesterday was certainly a low point and a bad game all the way around, but I had expected to get thumped....we just got thumped worse than I thought we would. We'll see how this team develops...

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Like some of the fanboys post towards me, no I don’t have a Rand Study to back up the data. From my perspective:

A. CPJ had lost the drive to plow forward against all the obstacles and retired. How he did it nobody can argue was helpful to GT.
B. The fanbase was heavily divided. They just wanted GT to win but all the negativity from the haters bad mouthing our program all the time was never going to make GT successful. You have to admit everybody outside of GT and the Service Academies would make disparaging comments about the style of offense. Assuredly not the difficulty defending it, just it was some sort of not quite elite offense, therefore the whole program could never be elite.

Well like politics someone bought us a new head coach, amped up support & now the results are starting to come in. We’re embarked on a strategy of destroying the program in order to fix it. We’re going to see at least 1 more year of this unless he quits. Remember, CGC being unsuccessful is not a good thing unlike the philosophy against the old regime. If he fails miserably, we’re 5 or more years away from putting the program back together with a very disrupted/divided fanbase.
So whatever the result and however long it takes, we have a divided fan base.

I think winning cures all. If this team goes on to be successful in 4 years, I'll be impressed. I will, however, not be happy nor impressed if we start acting like a factory and pull scholarships and offers like some are suggesting now.

And I seem to remember a quite happy fan base after 14 and 16 to an extent. The media was also very complimentary post '14. We were mentioned as a possible playoff contender preseason and many were also complimentary of the offense. We then had a meltdown injury wise, not dissimilar to this season, and are not loaded like the Clemson and Alabamas of the world to simply overcome 9 starters on each side of the ball. Not to mention the pitiful AD support that had not put anything into the recruiting budget or attempted to afford a real defensive coordinator.

I do think you bring up some very interesting points as always. We are tearing something proven down to build it back. Nobody I've heard speak has pointed this out in this way. I would think it would be better to improve on the product instead of starting from scratch down a path much more difficult to achieve due to the nature of tech not having a factory budget.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How hard is it to be patient. We weren’t winning anything this year no matter who our coach was so I really don’t understand why the world is on fire. At the end of this season UGA fans will be way more disappointed about their team than I will be about GT. GT is having to rebuild from the ground up and the rules state we can only sign 25 a year. That’s basically 3 years for our coach to get players that he wants. Collins has already told us what his plan is and he is following it. And some of you want h8m to be honest - no coach is honest because if he were honest you same people would be all over him for throwing others under the bus. Here’s the honest answer he can’t say - we have a large numbers of players seeing playing time who have no business on a D1 football field. Until Collins can flip those players we will continue to lose. Wins and losses do not matte4 at this point just like they didn’t matter to Bobby Ross his first year. Keep recruiting and we’ll be fine.
Dear Mrs. Collins thanks for telling us to be patient . But could you ask CGC how many years it will take, some of us long time season ticket holders are getting old and short on time. ( going to take a nap but when I wake up I'll check before my 2 pm nap )

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You missed my point. I’m comparing process, not players.

I get that, but obviously the process is going to work better with better players. Not a fair comparison at all. Taking over Tennessee and taking over Georgia Tech are two completely different animals.

What we have to realize is the stone cold fact that we're behind the eight ball as pertains to personnel. Not directed at you, but no amount of "you're throwing the players under the bus" BS is going to change that fact. Only recruiting and player development going forward will change that fact.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Questionsfor y'all....
Who on the OL would start for any team in the top one hundred?
Who on the DL?
Who in the backfield? Mason, for sure, no one else?
Back 7? most of the cb's and safetys would. maybe one linebacker.
Punter? Yes! Kickers? No

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I get that, but obviously the process is going to work better with better players. Not a fair comparison at all. Taking over Tennessee and taking over Georgia Tech are two completely different animals.

What we have to realize is the stone cold fact that we're behind the eight ball as pertains to personnel. Not directed at you, but no amount of "you're throwing the players under the bus" BS is going to change that fact. Only recruiting and player development going forward will change that fact.

No. Geoff and Jeremy are using different processes. They both have the same goal, just going about it differently.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It’s not an excuse; it’s the truth. And even if it were an excuse, it doesn’t change the fact that since we’re getting all these awesome players, we should expect immediate results next year. No more five year plan!

You are right it’s not an excuse. It’s a flat out lie.

If you don’t think a 275lb Clayton or 2-3 of these 300lb OL who already have the fundamentals our current Ol trying to learn

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No. Geoff and Jeremy are using different processes. They both have the same goal, just going about it differently.

With far different levels of talent. Look, I get your point about the process, but if Tennessee is more relevant than Georgia Tech in two years from now it won't prove much beyond the fact they have better personnel. Our recruiting is looking up a bit, but it will take time. Patience is a virtue.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
posted in another thread...
Questions for y'all....
Who on the DL?
Punter? Yes! Kickers? No

Thanks to Collins and his staff, the guys play hard, and thats all we should realistically expect.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
With far different levels of talent. Look, I get your point about the process, but if Tennessee is more relevant than Georgia Tech in two years from now it won't prove much beyond the fact they have better personnel. Our recruiting is looking up a bit, but it will take time. Patience is a virtue.

Bear Bryant famously quipped that Florida always had the best talent but rarely won anything. It’s more than just recruiting.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Questionsfor y'all....
Who on the DL?
Punter? Yes! Kickers? No
We should talk preseason because we've had '14 level of attrition on both lines, which gives coach a pass somewhat for this season.

DL, only Brandon Adams and Antwan possibly.

O line, these guys were meant to play option, not pass pro. So in a similar offense, they would probably hold their own.

The rest I feel you covered well.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree that the players playing were not recruited for this offense and departures/injuries have hurt as well. The part of the “Collins Plan” I fail to see materializing is building the elite program. We are still getting 3* and occasional 4* commits. They are a better fit for the spread that we run and solid guys, but not elite. Recruiting wise I see us getting what we were getting with CPJ, solid guys that fit our system, but not elite. The difference is that everyone spends so much time preparing defensively for the style of offense we run it is even harder to compete with similar talent. To compete for the coastal (forget championships) he is going to land better talent than he currently is.

You seriously think we can go from recruiting low 3* to high 4* in one cycle? It took Saban longer than that at Bama. The main benefits of Collins connections and recruiting will come down the road as most of these high 4* kids never heard from our previous coach. The key for GT are those kids in 9th and 10th grade who are getting GT love early. That’s what recruiting is all about. Any coach can reach out to stud seniors but the coach who lands them are the ones who have been showing them love when no one else was. Collins is good at that but the payoff is down the road (hence the 7 year contract).

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
The Curry years? No. He should be better than Curry. Curry had no coaching experience before coming to Tech.

This is the last time we hired a coach who had to learn how to on the job.
This is probably what we are going to get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk