Virginia Tech Postgame

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I have said it more than once this year that if PJ just scales the blocking and play calls down to a few well run plays that are executed effectively we will do a whole lot better. Last night proved it. The line played simpler and better and TO understands you must get upfield not try to get corners out to the sidelines (like Marshall likes to do). TO is also a bigger guy to get down and he isn’t afraid to stick his shoulder in there and grind out some tough yards.

If PJ has left TO in the USF game we would have won it. What could have been. PJ did not start the more effective QB and instead chose loyalty to the senior over the QB this offense really needs. I don’t want to see another QB in this system less than 6 foot. Oliver is 6’2, Graham is 6’1 and Lucas is 6’3. Marshall is 5’10. Gotta have big guys in this system at QB.
It got me fired up when TO was hit by the VT player near the sideline and then he looked right at him and ran him over. He also got that late hit penalty which made it even better.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I’m cautiously optimistic going into UNC and UVA. Reason I’m caustious is because VTs defense isn’t the defense are used to. Their D gave up a pile of yards to ODU...very similar to us.
Wasn't most of that in the air though? They came in averaging around 130 rushing yards given up. I'm pretty sure CPJ said where they have struggled is in pass coverage with a young secondary.

NM @OldJacketFan beat me to it

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No one has mentioned it, but this is interesting:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...he-virginia-tech-game/9ZQJwhMi92kQlMg4JMREFP/

“I have no idea. We’ll see if TaQuon gets healthy. We’ll watch in practice. TaQuon, he was the starter for a reason. He didn’t practice. He had one practice last week. So when he couldn’t come back and practice, my way of doing things, it’s not fair to the guys who practices all the time not to let him play. Now had (Oliver) gone out there and struggled, we could have either decided to play James (Graham) because James got a lot of work or we could have put TaQuon in there. He was cleared to play, but he hadn’t been hit since the last game, so if he’d have gotten tackled, who knows?

For those that missed it, Graham showed a glimpse of ELITE level quickness and speed. Haven't seen it since JeT's sophomore season from the QB spot. Literally coasting, but making defenders look slow. Graham is also a big body, so you can run the full inside/outside option package with him. Gonna be an interesting battle for QB1 next season.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Just when you think the season is toast, they suck you back in with a great victory! So happy for these guys!!

TO was a beast - and he's slippery. I wouldn't count on him starting the next 4 games just yet, though. CPJ was pretty clear at half that TO was doing great, but that the O line was the reason it was working. I'm happy TO got the chance and rose to the occasion. I'm both a TQM and TO fan...and although I'd love to be in charge, I'm not the coach for a reason. Would like to see both QBs used in a game!

When you win the turnover game, you win! We really caught some great breaks in this game that made a huge difference! And, while the Searcy penalty was wrong, it's hard to argue a lot with the refs on the rest of the game...

D - well...are we ever going to learn how to tackle? Seems the first guy ALWAYS misses or can't wrap it up. Defending against 3rd and long - what is our stat on that because it seems that we are horrible at it. Got lucky a few times tonight with the QB stepping out of bounds or their receivers dropping it. A couple of really good plays, though (ASA, Swilling, C Thomas)

Tar Heels up next! Let's go, Jackets!!

Animal02

Banned
I have said it more than once this year that if PJ just scales the blocking and play calls down to a few well run plays that are executed effectively we will do a whole lot better. Last night proved it. The line played simpler and better and TO understands you must get upfield not try to get corners out to the sidelines (like Marshall likes to do). TO is also a bigger guy to get down and he isn’t afraid to stick his shoulder in there and grind out some tough yards.

If PJ has left TO in the USF game we would have won it. What could have been. PJ did not start the more effective QB and instead chose loyalty to the senior over the QB this offense really needs. I don’t want to see another QB in this system less than 6 foot. Oliver is 6’2, Graham is 6’1 and Lucas is 6’3. Marshall is 5’10. Gotta have big guys in this system at QB.
So much BS from an arm chair coach that doesn't the players outside of game time. This whole "loyalty" this is BS. The coaches see the players day in and day out, know who knows the playbook and can execute it the best.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Very happy with the win and I think it's great we've put up some dominating performances in both of our big prime time games this season (Louisville being the other). That helps with recruiting and also makes us seem more valuable to adidas when it comes time for contract negotiations. I think we have to keep rolling with Oliver until he proves he isn't effective anymore. It was crazy watching how even on busted plays he was able to get 2-4 yards simply by pushing his way up field. I am also excited about the glimpse of James Graham we got to see. He looks really fast and I bet he felt good playing some QB snaps against the team he was formerly committed to that wouldn't give him a shot at QB.

While some might point out that VT's defense hasn't been stellar all year, it's worth noting that this is because of their passing defense. They are ranked #125 in passing yards allowed per game, but #27 in rushing yards allowed per game (no doubt will go down). We destroyed a really good run defense. Miami will be our biggest remaining defensive test, but getting a win against UNC would help a lot with our confidence heading into that game. Let's look forward to next week.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
“ Five knee-seeking torpedoes kept firing…and firing…and firing. They did not miss their targets.“

https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/spor...cle_338c6159-8443-5970-96b9-1fb193c43f35.html

Lol.

From the same article

To call this a bad night for Bud Foster doesn’t tell the half of it. Georgia Tech’s 49-28 demolition of the Hokies wasn’t so much about scheme as it was one team manhandling the other at the line of scrimmage. The Yellow Jackets shoved Virginia Tech around, sapping the spirit from the hosts and their sellout crowd.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
From the same article

To call this a bad night for Bud Foster doesn’t tell the half of it. Georgia Tech’s 49-28 demolition of the Hokies wasn’t so much about scheme as it was one team manhandling the other at the line of scrimmage. The Yellow Jackets shoved Virginia Tech around, sapping the spirit from the hosts and their sellout crowd.
VT fans are trying to cover their arses by saying they have the youngest two deep roster in the ACC;)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Very happy with the win and I think it's great we've put up some dominating performances in both of our big prime time games this season (Louisville being the other). That helps with recruiting and also makes us seem more valuable to adidas when it comes time for contract negotiations. I think we have to keep rolling with Oliver until he proves he isn't effective anymore. It was crazy watching how even on busted plays he was able to get 2-4 yards simply by pushing his way up field. I am also excited about the glimpse of James Graham we got to see. He looks really fast and I bet he felt good playing some QB snaps against the team he was formerly committed to that wouldn't give him a shot at QB.

While some might point out that VT's defense hasn't been stellar all year, it's worth noting that this is because of their passing defense. They are ranked #125 in passing yards allowed per game, but #27 in rushing yards allowed per game (no doubt will go down). We destroyed a really good run defense. Miami will be our biggest remaining defensive test, but getting a win against UNC would help a lot with our confidence heading into that game. Let's look forward to next week.
A VT fan on their message board said they talked to the parent of a GT offensive lineman and that parent said the GT OL was surprised at how small the VT DL was.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Why didn’t VT’s DL hold our OL like every other team that has beaten us did? It seems to me if I was a DC, I’d practice 2 things before the game:
#1 bear hug a blocker every play to allow the LBs to tackle
#2 put 11 guys in the box and dare us to pass