Virginia Tech Postgame

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I didn't read every post. So, maybe someone already covered this:

But I want to give some recognition to TaQuon Marshall last night. He didn't start, didn't play, but every time the camera was on the sideline he was there, locked into the game. Talking guys up, helping the team. When the O was on the field he had his helmet on ready to go in. When Tobias, Mason or whoever came off the field after a TD or a bad play, TQM was the first guy there to pat them on the back.

Even if he's not QB1 moving forward. He's a leader, a captain and a great Student Athlete for Tech.

Amen, class act all the way. I think going forward we will see a healthy dose of both QB’s, their two styles combined are a nightmare for opposing teams to prepare for.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
No one has mentioned it, but this is interesting:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...he-virginia-tech-game/9ZQJwhMi92kQlMg4JMREFP/

“I have no idea. We’ll see if TaQuon gets healthy. We’ll watch in practice. TaQuon, he was the starter for a reason. He didn’t practice. He had one practice last week. So when he couldn’t come back and practice, my way of doing things, it’s not fair to the guys who practices all the time not to let him play. Now had (Oliver) gone out there and struggled, we could have either decided to play James (Graham) because James got a lot of work or we could have put TaQuon in there. He was cleared to play, but he hadn’t been hit since the last game, so if he’d have gotten tackled, who knows?

For those that missed it, Graham showed a glimpse of ELITE level quickness and speed. Haven't seen it since JeT's sophomore season from the QB spot. Literally coasting, but making defenders look slow. Graham is also a big body, so you can run the full inside/outside option package with him. Gonna be an interesting battle for QB1 next season.

Dude, yes! When Graham came in there was a noticeable difference in his speed, kid is quick as a cat! He throws ropes in warmups too, very strong looking arm.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
TO was a difference maker in this game. Had TM started it would have been much closer or resulted in a loss. TO should have been starting since USF game. It is very clear when he is on the field that the O runs much smoother. There should not even be a question about who starts the rest of the games.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Couldn't help myself - fun for your phone for the weekend!
2018w9a.PNG

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
TO was a difference maker in this game. Had TM started it would have been much closer or resulted in a loss. TO should have been starting since USF game. It is very clear when he is on the field that the O runs much smoother. There should not even be a question about who starts the rest of the games.

I am a big TO fan, But lets not get to ahead of ourselves. Other DCs will scheme against his weakness. He does not have the full option package yet. (no 3O plays) and the one time he did get a pass off, he fell down without being touched.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
TM was the starter when we ROLLED Louisville. That means something.

When the OL dominates like they did against Louisville and VPI, it doesn't much matter who's back there. But the thing about Oliver is that he seems to me to be able to break tackles, shed grasping defenders and get a forward lean after the hit better than TQM. Both are tough as nails, but Oliver seems stronger.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Amen, class act all the way. I think going forward we will see a healthy dose of both QB’s, their two styles combined are a nightmare for opposing teams to prepare for.
Adding to this post about Marshall. We went to the lower row at the stadium to watch the players sing and exit the stadium. When the players exited TO was in an interview. Two players waited for him to finish to congratulate and walk off the field. One was Tre Swilling and the other was Marshall. Very impressed by Marshall’s team first atttude!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That is the team we can be. Played to our potential tonight. If we could do that consistently we should end up with a winning record. I am just not sure we can do it consistently. I hope he stays with Oliver. The offense responds better to his leadership.

Go Jackets!
I am encouraged he went with Oliver, but Johnson's fault is that he fears change. He never changes QB outside of injury. And as well as Oliver played, and he played really, really well, even Johnson acknowledged tacitly after the game that with Oliver you don't get an option game. It is keeps and follows and the occasional -- I think I remember two, maybe three, load options, and maybe one triple. So it was a dominant run offense (Johnson still has Foster's number; somebody give him Cutcliffe's) but not an option offense. Maybe next year, but not for the rest of '18. I think it is reasonable to think Johnson is now coaching for his job and there won't be a lot of wasted practice time on an offense neither of his QBs can run. On the other hand, the guy from VT might be in the fire, too. Ever see VT stands empty in the third quarter? That was great.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so queue up the , we need to pass the football idiots. When you rush for 7 yards per carry, no you don't. If we don't make stupid mistakes and don't fumble we can beat anybody.

Yeah, when you rush for 7 yards a carry. That will work until it doesn't, and at that point you will need to pass the football.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Amazing. I wonder if we can get 2 more wins but damn what a game
NC on the schedule has been noted, and if we can't beat them then what is the point? It is hard to understand how UNC and Duke got such a stranglehold on us every year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Reactions to last night's game:
  1. extreme joy in such a dominating win;
  2. fear that this will be like Louisville, where I thought we turned a corner only to see "bad GT" show up next game
  3. I *still* worry about being one dimensional. Yeah, I know, if we can run like that we are unstoppable. I just question if we can run like that against Miami, UGa, etc
  4. TQM was SUCH a team player and leader last night. I am just SO impressed with this young man. There are just tons of guys all over who would sulk if they lost their starting job (and some of those guys transfer right away). Major props!
Overall, I am not sure I have seen such schizophrenic performances on a football field. One game we dominate, the next we look like we can't make a first down or hold on to the ball. smdh

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t get tricked by fools gold. UNC has quit so I expect GT to roll, but UVA, Miami, & Jawja will not be allow it.

5-7

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Gotta love this VT player quote!
“It’s 2018 and they still run this offense,” said Hokies defensive tackle Ricky Walker, who dropped to 0-4 against Georgia Tech in his career. “So that just shows their kind of mindset — that they’re physical and tougher than you.”
Pretty telling remark when many on the board doubt the toughness of an option offense. But here's a quote from Bud Foster in the Richmond paper, attempting to explain something most of us never quite comprehend. We know it is fast, just no idea how fast. Foster knows.

“I don’t even care if you have an extra couple of days, the hard part is trying to get your scout team to simulate this offense you’re getting ready to play, how hard the offensive linemen come out, how they chop [block] every time,” defensive coordinator Bud Foster said. “If you just did that every day, and we picked times to do that – I’m talking about the chopping – to have the fullback hit up inside as hard as they do, that’s the hard part in preparing for this offense, the speed that you’re going to see..."