Virginia Postgame

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
And that costed us the game how? I know Tobias “scored” but their entire secondary stood there and watched him walk into the end zone.

CGC called time out with 6 seconds left (just before the snap) because he was afraid the play would run out the clock without a score. That was understandable. Where he might have cost us the game was letting the clock run from 28 seconds to 6 seconds because: he mis understood or mis heard the ref about when the clock would start (ready for play was the rule and ref explanation). CGC , either by some lack of focus or not actually knowing the rules, thought the clock would not start until the snap. 22 precious seconds were lost in the most crucial time of the game. COACH MISTAKE.

LibertyTurns

Banned
And that costed us the game how? I know Tobias “scored” but their entire secondary stood there and watched him walk into the end zone.
If that’s what you think we’ll just have to disagree. I don’t have a tape recording to share, but that’s not what the only Citadel defenders that had a shot of tackling him thought.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You keep making this argument to discount 2014. Not sure why the best back to back proves your point and only explanation for why you keep referring to it is because it is outcome driven. I can play too. If what you say is true then why was his best two out of three years 2014-2016?

2014 was a great year. No denying that. I was one of the 5k or so fans that was down Miami celebrating the OB. It really is an outlier however when you remove what he did in 08 & 09 with the players he inherited.

We were not good in 16. We didn’t spend 1 week ranked. We were an average team. Maybe slightly above as I believe we were top 30.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Yep, I got burned pretty bad, possibly. Had much higher expectations for this staff. I failed to do due diligence. In retrospect they’re far too inexperienced to have engineered a 4 win season this year, but maybe we got 2 lucky games coming up! Worried about the post-Vag meltdown. Dude is rattled & I’m concerned the maybe job may be too big for him. Hope not.

This got a sincere chuckle out of me. How the rest of the nation understood the lack of talent on this team combined with the offensive transition was going to lead to a massive rebuild yet the folks who watch us play the most wee totally missed it is hard for me to understand unless some just have an agenda or really low football IQ.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
This got a sincere chuckle out of me. How the rest of the nation understood the lack of talent on this team combined with the offensive transition was going to lead to a massive rebuild yet the folks who watch us play the most wee totally missed it is hard for me to understand unless some just have an agenda or really low football IQ.

Actually it is not too hard... I know I looked at the team we had coming back before coach Johnson retired and said to myself, "I think this is a 7-8 win team". Once he retired, and on hearing Coach Collins talk about building the team around players's strengths, I said to myself "Well, we won't be a great passing team, but we still have really strong run blockers - maybe we only win 4-5 games this year."
I guess I mis-understood what "building around players' strengths" really meant... :(

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually it is not too hard... I know I looked at the team we had coming back before coach Johnson retired and said to myself, "I think this is a 7-8 win team". Once he retired, and on hearing Coach Collins talk about building the team around players's strengths, I said to myself "Well, we won't be a great passing team, but we still have really strong run blockers - maybe we only win 4-5 games this year."
I guess I mis-understood what "building around players' strengths" really meant... :(

So you realize we can still win 4 games? It may or may not happen, but it’s still possible.

We lost to the Citadel which shouldn’t have happened. If we won that game, we would be sitting with 3 wins and likely to win 1 more.

I think a lit of people are basing the coaching performance this year solely on one game. While embarrassing, it was one game.

Lastly, when you were having this talk with yourself, did you factor in our best run blocker transferring to another school (which has been shown he was leaving regardless of who the coach was)? Did you factor in our best Dlineman passing away before the season started? Did you factor in the amount of injuries we’ve had on both lines of scrimmage? If so, what are the lotto numbers for tomorrow?

Joking aside, Vegas set the over/under where they did for a reason. Many of us didn’t like it and wanted to think they were wrong, but there is a lot of money on the line for them to be right.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
So you’re GT’s Football Coach and you Engineer the Team to a 9-4 record, beat 3 SEC teams and that constitutes a mediocre season. Wouldn’t you quit if that’s what your fanbase thinks of you?

It was an average season going back to the late 80's. Win/loss record was marginally better but the weak schedule resulted in us not being ranked for a single week during the year. Go back and look at what our program was over the 2 decades before that and you will see that is really below our standards.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yeah I bought the hype. We had UCF’s Asst HC and Bammer OL genius on the Flats. We bring in a stallion to run the defense. We hire the #1 S&C coach in college football. We hire an amazing HC that amped people up.

Yes, I thought preseason our OL coach would be able to teach already highly capable OL how to block, the DC a more aggressive/effective D, we were going to be bigger, faster, better, etc. Then the coup de gras we have some passing added into what was already a stellar running game. Hype, yes I bought into the staff’s advertised capabilities and expected deliverables.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It was an average season going back to the late 80's. Win/loss record was marginally better but the weak schedule resulted in us not being ranked for a single week during the year. Go back and look at what our program was over the 2 decades before that and you will see that is really below our standards.

Since 1989, GT has had 8 seasons with 9 or more wins. So for the 30 years from '89-'18, 26.7% of the time we win 9 or more games. I am no statistician, but I wouldn't call that "average" at all. As a matter of fact, seeing as CPJ was responsible for 50% of those 9+ win seasons, I'd be careful how hard you try to push your narrative. Also, in 2016 our SoS was 42nd, and while that isn't great, it's better than 52nd, which was the SoS ranking in 1998 when we won 10 games, yet we call GOL great and trash CPJ.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I bought the hype. We had UCF’s Asst HC and Bammer OL genius on the Flats. We bring in a stallion to run the defense. We hire the #1 S&C coach in college football. We hire an amazing HC that amped people up.

Yes, I thought preseason our OL coach would be able to teach already highly capable OL how to block, the DC a more aggressive/effective D, we were going to be bigger, faster, better, etc. Then the coup de gras we have some passing added into what was already a stellar running game. Hype, yes I bought into the staff’s advertised capabilities and expected deliverables.

I say this sincerely, I think the biggest problem some people have with Collins is his style. He could not be more different than Johnson so for the fans that really liked Johnson they had to deal with not only going away from his system, but a coach that is the polar opposite of him from a personality perspective as well. Collins is all about hype and I understand that and can see what he is trying to do. But i was always going to believe my eyes and what I have seen on the field over the previous 4 years. I watched games we won thanks only to Johnson's strategic genius where we were clearly outmanned. UVA and Miami last year come to mind. In a way I don't think the Johnson supporters are giving him enough credit for what a brilliant mind he was. That team that won 7 games last year was probably only more talented than 3 or 4 teams on the schedule. The hype is necessary in my mind for the rebuilding of the program. We are going to build something completely different than what we were under Johnson for better or worse. Collins personality and style will be a big part of what we are trying to do for as long as he is here. I hope most can get over their stylistic issues and actually give him a chance.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow

Bro that's not hype you believed in, that was fairy tales. It's not the coaches fault that you're that naive to think they could perform miracles. Maybe next time read some other opinions to save yourself some heartache. Most "informed" people saw this coming but hoped for the best. Nobody could predict all the injuries especially on the oline and dline.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I say this sincerely, I think the biggest problem some people have with Collins is his style. He could not be more different than Johnson so for the fans that really liked Johnson they had to deal with not only going away from his system, but a coach that is the polar opposite of him from a personality perspective as well. Collins is all about hype and I understand that and can see what he is trying to do. But i was always going to believe my eyes and what I have seen on the field over the previous 4 years. I watched games we won thanks only to Johnson's strategic genius where we were clearly outmanned. UVA and Miami last year come to mind. In a way I don't think the Johnson supporters are giving him enough credit for what a brilliant mind he was. That team that won 7 games last year was probably only more talented than 3 or 4 teams on the schedule. The hype is necessary in my mind for the rebuilding of the program. We are going to build something completely different than what we were under Johnson for better or worse. Collins personality and style will be a big part of what we are trying to do for as long as he is here. I hope most can get over their stylistic issues and actually give him a chance.

This is spot on. I think a lot of the fear over Collins is that we have hired the GT version of Butch "Champions of Life" Jones. I know I am not a huge fan of the hype, but I am still hopeful that with improved recruiting over several cycles he can build a winning program again.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So you realize we can still win 4 games? It may or may not happen, but it’s still possible.

We lost to the Citadel which shouldn’t have happened. If we won that game, we would be sitting with 3 wins and likely to win 1 more.

I think a lit of people are basing the coaching performance this year solely on one game. While embarrassing, it was one game.

Lastly, when you were having this talk with yourself, did you factor in our best run blocker transferring to another school (which has been shown he was leaving regardless of who the coach was)? Did you factor in our best Dlineman passing away before the season started? Did you factor in the amount of injuries we’ve had on both lines of scrimmage? If so, what are the lotto numbers for tomorrow?

Joking aside, Vegas set the over/under where they did for a reason. Many of us didn’t like it and wanted to think they were wrong, but there is a lot of money on the line for them to be right.
I don't think people are basing it on one game. At least I'm not. The Temple game was worse to me. We had just lost to an FCS school which should give a little extra motivation, we were coming off a bye week, and we were playing the team that our head coach was coaching last year, which should give some advantage. With all of that going for us we put up a whopping 2 points and we weren't even competitive against a mediocre team that later gave up 63 points to UCF. We followed that up with equally uncompetitive games against two other mediocre teams. It was a pretty miserable stretch of games. Not just one game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Bro that's not hype you believed in, that was fairy tales. It's not the coaches fault that you're that naive to think they could perform miracles. Maybe next time read some other opinions to save yourself some heartache. Most "informed" people saw this coming but hoped for the best. Nobody could predict all the injuries especially on the oline and dline.
You expected us to drop below the level of Citadel? I’d like to see one before season projection of that.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t see how you can judge this staff with this roster. It would be different if they said let’s win now and ran spread option but they are very obviously building and getting our new scheme on tape for recruits.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Since 1989, GT has had 8 seasons with 9 or more wins. So for the 30 years from '89-'18, 26.7% of the time we win 9 or more games. I am no statistician, but I wouldn't call that "average" at all. As a matter of fact, seeing as CPJ was responsible for 50% of those 9+ win seasons, I'd be careful how hard you try to push your narrative. Also, in 2016 our SoS was 42nd, and while that isn't great, it's better than 52nd, which was the SoS ranking in 1998 when we won 10 games, yet we call GOL great and trash CPJ.

I'm not trying to push a narrative. You using total wins in a season is misleading and you know it. For example, O'leary only had 1 season in which his teams played a 12 game regular season and Johnson had 11. Give O'leary and extra patsy annually and he would have had 3 straight seasons of 9 wins from 98-00 and would have had 5 straight 8 win season from 97-01. All 5 of those teams were top 25 finishers. Also, Johnson's win % was roughly the same as Gailey's. I appreciate both of those coaches for their achievements and criticize both for their setbacks. In the end they both won about the same amount of games.

Back to the 16 team. I'm not saying all of O'leary's last 5 teams were better than the 16 team. I'm just telling you what the polls say. For whatever reason the 16 team garnered no respect from the rest of the nation for the duration of that season. If we had become so irrelevant that we got overlooked then that is a problem in itself.

And last, I don't think CPJ was trash. He was an elite coach when he had a team full of another coach's players. The man just could not recruit.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ve watched it at least 10 times, they were standing straight up looking at the sideline when we snapped it.

No. They weren't.

GT Snap 1.jpg
GT Snap 2.jpg
GT Snap 3.jpg

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm not trying to push a narrative. You using total wins in a season is misleading and you know it. For example, O'leary only had 1 season in which his teams played a 12 game regular season and Johnson had 11. Give O'leary and extra patsy annually and he would have had 3 straight seasons of 9 wins from 98-00 and would have had 5 straight 8 win season from 97-01. All 5 of those teams were top 25 finishers. Also, Johnson's win % was roughly the same as Gailey's. I appreciate both of those coaches for their achievements and criticize both for their setbacks. In the end they both won about the same amount of games.

Back to the 16 team. I'm not saying all of O'leary's last 5 teams were better than the 16 team. I'm just telling you what the polls say. For whatever reason the 16 team garnered no respect from the rest of the nation for the duration of that season. If we had become so irrelevant that we got overlooked then that is a problem in itself.

And last, I don't think CPJ was trash. He was an elite coach when he had a team full of another coach's players. The man just could not recruit.

Ignores the point. Give GOL an extra patsy in his high water mark year of 10 wins and his SoS would have been lower than the 52nd that it actually was.

As for why the 16 team wasn't ranked? Easy, it started out 3-3 coming off a 3 win season. Has we been 9-4 with the losses scattered we would have been ranked. As it was, Sagarin had us ranked 23rd at the end of the season.

He was also an elite coach in 2014 with all his own players...