Virginia Postgame

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Do you want the truth? The truth is YES! Next year we will still be rebuilding due to the reasons you stated.

As for the incapable, I never said they were starters, but our depth is close to zero and we do have many starters who should be playing in backup roles. Collins is addressing this thru recruiting but it takes more than one recruiting cycle to fix depth.

As for the “decent team” comment, we are a decent team right now. We just took the Coastal Champs to the wire with a depleted roster. I’m not talking about GT being a decent team. I’m talking about GT becoming a team that can year in and year out win the Coastal. We will be that by 2021 but there is no EASY button. If Johnson would have left us with the same caliber player that Gailey left him then we’d be in a much better position today, but he didn’t. And then we lose our only all ACC caliber player in Adams and then injuries have piled up.
We are not a decent team right now. We are a train wreck who played a rare decent game this weekend and still lost. That is the problem. We have been far worse than we should have been this year. Let’s try to actually get up to decent first before we assume we are going to start winning the coastal every year. Nothing we have seen so far indicates that is coming. I have no idea why you are so certain it is going to happen. It would be great if it does, but we need to start seeing something from this team to build that kind of hype. Beating VT and NC St, which yes we are talented enough to do, would be a great start.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m certain because I look at all the circumstances not just the here and now. The Coastal Division sucks. Not a solid week in week out team in the entire group. Bronco, Cutcliffe, and Brown are solid enough coaches but they are at schools that limit them. We often lament GT’s position regarding academics on this board, but we don’t look at others. Cutcliffe and Brown will always be second fiddle to hoops and they are not nearly in a hot bed of high school football as GT is in. Virginia is now a hoops school and simply don’t get the players they need to make the next step. Beamer had it going and owned the Coastal - 5 out of 7 years he won the Coastal, but that’s over. Miami is a mess and is their own worst enemy with coaching hires.

Recruiting - Collins is a proven recruiter. He has proved it at GT. Alabama hired him. Then he struck out on his own to be a head coach and like all coaches he started at the bottom - Temple. I think all of us have had our “Temple” time in our careers. Now, he’s brought years of experience to GT. Until he shows me he can’t handle it I’m going with track record. His first month on the job, before most of the staff was in place he single handedly gets the high school player of the year to commit. Then he gets the first true QB since Godsey to commit. He gets Our future NFL WR in Brown to commit. If you can’t see the quality of player he is bringing in then all I can say is you will eventually. Even if he isn’t the greatest game day coach the talent level will put us in the hunt every year. And I don’t think he will hesitate to make changes to the program. I loved CPJ but he was way too loyal to his coaches many of whom weren’t getting it done. I think Collins won’t have that problem.

Scubapro

Banned
Then he gets the first true QB since Godsey to commit. too loyal to his coaches many of whom weren’t getting it done. I think Collins won’t have that problem.

Vad Lee was a good QB as was Justin Thomas, not to mention that Radcliff (sp) would have been phenomenal.

We will know if he is to loyal if he keeps Paten-Fraude

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you. But the bottom line is those guys never helped GT win a game for whatever reason. Losing guys like Marshall and Mills also hurt. I loved Johnson because I’ve followed him since Southern and I saw the explosiveness of his system. But in 11 years, it never reached the level it did at Southern. Outside of Thomas, the QB’s we had never threatened the defense thru the air, thus we never ran the true triple option because without the passing game defenses learned to stop it. We’ll never know about those injured players and probably Yates. I would love to see Johnson run his system in the NFL where the talent is more even. I think he’d do well.

I totally disagree about the talent Gailey left us with. He left us great talent. On the defensive line alone he left Johnson four players better than any d lineman we have now - Derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson, Darryl Richard, Vance Walker. These four guys were studs. Dwyer is the best GT RB in the past 20 years if not 30. We have no one like Bebe although Browns speed makes him special. We do not have 1 offensive lineman better than what Johnson inherited- Andrew Gardner, Cord Howard, David Brown, Joseph Gilbert, Dan Voss, Austin Barrick, and Nick Claytor. All those guys are better than anyone but Lee. Scott Blair is waaaay better than any kicker we have right now. As for linebackers, I love Charlie Thomas and Knight, but that’s about all we have right now. Johnson was left with Sed Griffin, Kyle Jackson, Brad Jefferson, and Anthony Barnes. DB’s, I would agree that Collins was given solid players just like Johnson inherited Morgan Burnett and Mario Butler. The biggest problem Gailey had was he never found a true P5 quarterback. If he had found one we would have been top 10 several seasons. Collins was here during that time so he’s going to find a QB.
I won't continue the argument much further, but …

Gardner and Brown were both out for the year by the third game.

Barrick was originally a TE, Clayton was second string until Brown got hurt, and Gilbert was a redshirt frosh. Further, the remaining OLs were not recruited for the spread option. (Sound familiar?)

Kyle Jackson was a redshirt freshmen (who later became an OL) and Jefferson a sophomore. I don't think I'd trade Griffin for Thomas either.

No question about the DLs. Except that Adams died. With him in there, we'd look a lot better. (Btw, all this is on p. 2 of the guide I cited.)

In short, I think Paul took a team with three great players - Dwyer, Johnson, and Burnett - and turned it into a powerhouse. But the transition to Paul's O was just as wrenching as the present one; the team wasn't ready to run the TO. Why people overlook this is beyond me; you'd think that the type of player we had with Gailey's spread was perfectly suited to the spread option. They weren't. Now, coaching what we have on hand in a transition does make a difference.

Last edited:

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Special team play was supposed to be "special" this year.

This game was a disaster for special teams. When Thomas fair caught inside the 5, (much less the 10), there must have been a huge brain fart or the coaches told him to fair catch. And missed the final instructions on not fair catching inside the 10.

Kick off return coverage reminded me of USF last year.

I can only assume Tech is trying to recruit a kicker. Maybe a grad transfer? And also the next Harvin.

Not having a place kicker that can consistently kick into the endzone in P5 hurts the team. And Tech has suffered since Buttkicker graduated. Surely there is a kid out there that would make it at Tech that can kick the ball.

And the special team coaches need to step it up. Tech ranks either last or close to last in kicking stats. (Except Harvin)

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Even if he isn’t the greatest game day coach the talent level will put us in the hunt every year.

Therein lies the problem. You can gush about CGC as much as you want. And I am not necessarily bashing CGC, but he needs to prove he is a great game day coach. Tech does not need another Kirby Smart. Great recruiter, poor game decisions.

I try to cut him some slack because he is still growing into the position. And as someone posted in another thread relating it back to our careers, we all have made some bonehead calls in our development. I love the enthusiasm he brings. I just hope the learning curve is steep.

Which brings me to my next comment. I was at the Florida/Vandy game with my rich in laws sitting up in the corporate box. There was no choreographed dancing in the sidelines. Enthusiasm yes, choreographed dancing, no. I think this is going to be my supersized pet peeve.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not having a place kicker that can consistently kick into the endzone in P5 hurts the team. And Tech has suffered since Buttkicker graduated. Surely there is a kid out there that would make it at Tech that can kick the ball.\
I've been looking at this in games I've been watching and a lot of kickers can't get the ball consistently into the end zone. The top 10 teams normally have someone who can do it, but others don't.

If I were the coaching staff, I'd divide the whole business up, King should do the KOs; he's inaccurate, but he has a stronger leg. Welles should do the FGs and extras; he's accurate and, while his range isn't great, he almost always makes his kicks. I think this is a coaching failure; the coaches want someone who can handle the whole thing. Why bother? We have two scholarship kickers; use them or loose them.

Tech used to do this when E. O. Wheeler was there. E. O. was like King; inaccurate but a great leg. I loved the cheer when he would Strat for the kick:

EOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Animal02

Banned
Therein lies the problem. You can gush about CGC as much as you want. And I am not necessarily bashing CGC, but he needs to prove he is a great game day coach. Tech does not need another Kirby Smart. Great recruiter, poor game decisions.

I try to cut him some slack because he is still growing into the position. And as someone posted in another thread relating it back to our careers, we all have made some bonehead calls in our development. I love the enthusiasm he brings. I just hope the learning curve is steep.

Which brings me to my next comment. I was at the Florida/Vandy game with my rich in laws sitting up in the corporate box. There was no choreographed dancing in the sidelines. Enthusiasm yes, choreographed dancing, no. I think this is going to be my supersized pet peeve.
Yes, I have made bonehead calls in early in my career.....but I didn't try to be the CEO until I was over making those bonehead moves.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Vad Lee was a good QB as was Justin Thomas, not to mention that Radcliff (sp) would have been phenomenal.

We will know if he is to loyal if he keeps Paten-Fraude

No, just stop. Vad Lee was not as good as JT. He took one hit and played scared afterwards. If he was so great, why did he not transfer to a P-5 school? There’s no way to tell about Ratliffe. You can play the “what if” game all day long but it won’t get you any more wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
No, just stop. Vad Lee was not as good as JT. He took one hit and played scared afterwards. If he was so great, why did he not transfer to a P-5 school? There’s no way to tell about Ratliffe. You can play the “what if” game all day long but it won’t get you any more wins.

He didn't say he was....I had to read it twice....He said "Vad Lee was a good QB as was Justin Thomas, "......as in the were both good, not comparing one to the other

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck

I find it hilarious that if all the football related things going on this season that we could be talking about some of y’all are more concerned about dancing in sidelines, as if walk ons who aren’t going to play a single snap dancing on the sideline is what is causing us to lose games. But I get it, last thing we want in college football is players having fun and enjoying themselves.

Scubapro

Banned

I was responding to this comment:
Then he gets the first true QB since Godsey to commit
Which is a shade to Vad, JT and Ratcliff

Sent from my

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Barrick was originally a TE, Clayton was second string until Brown got hurt, and Gilbert was a redshirt frosh. Further, the remaining OLs were not recruited for the spread option. (Sound familiar?)

Kyle Jackson was a redshirt freshmen (who later became an OL) and Jefferson a sophomore. I don't think I'd trade Griffin for Thomas either.

No question about the DLs. Except that Adams died. With him in there, we'd look a lot better. (Btw, all this is on p. 2 of the guide I cited.)

In short, I think Paul took a team with three great players - Dwyer, Johnson, and Burnett - and turned it into a powerhouse. But the transition to Paul's O was just as wrenching as the present one; the team wasn't ready to run the TO. Why people overlook this is beyond me; you'd think that the type of player we had with Gailey's spread was perfectly suited to the spread option. They weren't. Now, coaching what we have on hand in a transition does make a difference.

The entire DLine that Johnson inherited was better than any DLinemen we currently have. Do you not remember those guys? To say that all Johnson inherited was Dwyer, Johnson, and Burnett is just wrong. Gailey could recruit he just wasn’t creative on the offensive side. I already like Patenaude’s offense more than Gailey’s. Once Collins brings in better players our offense will be fine. I guarantee you that Mason is ready for new linemen.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We are not a decent team right now. We are a train wreck who played a rare decent game this weekend and still lost. That is the problem. We have been far worse than we should have been this year. Let’s try to actually get up to decent first before we assume we are going to start winning the coastal every year. Nothing we have seen so far indicates that is coming. I have no idea why you are so certain it is going to happen. It would be great if it does, but we need to start seeing something from this team to build that kind of hype. Beating VT and NC St, which yes we are talented enough to do, would be a great start.

We are not worse than where we should be. We were picked last in the conference and thanks to Syracuse are actually better than that.

VT is playing really good ball and I doubt we win this weekend. I think we get NCSU for our second conference win which is really about as good as one could expect to start the season.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

If what you say is true then why was Paul’s best back to back years his first 2? Your argument just doesn’t make sense so please let it die.