Virginia Postgame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The entire DLine that Johnson inherited was better than any DLinemen we currently have. Do you not remember those guys? To say that all Johnson inherited was Dwyer, Johnson, and Burnett is just wrong. Gailey could recruit he just wasn’t creative on the offensive side. I already like Patenaude’s offense more than Gailey’s. Once Collins brings in better players our offense will be fine. I guarantee you that Mason is ready for new linemen.
I do remember them. Didn't you read the 6th line of the original post? And Derick Morgan was waiting in the wings. But the three I mentioned were the great players in 2008. And, yes, Chan had a better eye for football talent then any Tech coach in modern times except Dodd.

Oh, and on present evidence, Mason doesn't need a better OL. Give him 20 carries and he delivers 100 yards or better, just like clockwork. I think we should go all Wisconsin, run him 30, and see what happens. I'm guessing at least 150 yards, we win ToP, and we win the game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If what you say is true then why was Paul’s best back to back years his first 2? Your argument just doesn’t make sense so please let it die.
Well, we all know the reason why Paul's two best consecutive years were 08 and 09.

DWYER.

And that says it all. You inherit the best RB in recent Tech history and you get good results. Especially if you know how to use him effectively. I never said anything differently.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, we all know the reason why Paul's two best consecutive years were 08 and 09.

DWYER/THOMAS

And that says it all. You inherit the best RB and second best WR in recent Tech history and you get good results. Especially if you know how to use them effectively. I never said anything differently.

Having a WR like Thomas as a gut check for opposing D's helped Dwyer tremendously as well.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow

DWYER/THOMAS/NESBITT.

And that says it all. You inherit the best RB in recent Tech history, second best WR, and your best QB then you get good results. Especially if you know how to use them effectively. I never said anything differently.

Don't forget JFN!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
What in Game decision has he made that has directly costed us a win?

Two possibilities:
Clock management against Cid
Running Johnson from the 5 from the gun against Pitt (we had better choices)

You can always argue about "directly" but those were not good decisions IMO and certainly raises the "if" question about the outcomes.
In an earlier game he owned up to encouraging the first 15 yard unsportsman penalty when we scored a TD and then soon after we got two more which led to a score...an open door he did not get closed!

None of these are hanging offenses but do indicate some learning on the job. Hope the coaching learning keeps pace with the player learning.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I do remember them. Didn't you read the 6th line of the original post? And Derick Morgan was waiting in the wings. But the three I mentioned were the great players in 2008. And, yes, Chan had a better eye for football talent then any Tech coach in modern times except Dodd.

Oh, and on present evidence, Mason doesn't need a better OL. Give him 20 carries and he delivers 100 yards or better, just like clockwork. I think we should go all Wisconsin, run him 30, and see what happens. I'm guessing at least 150 yards, we win ToP, and we win the game.
Derrick Morgan started as a true freshman in '07 and was a beast in '08. He was a great player and was not waiting in the wings.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Derrick Morgan started as a true freshman in '07 and was a beast in '08. He was a great player and was not waiting in the wings.
Yes, but he was not the best of that group in 08. He surpassed all of them but Johnson later. That's what I meant, but I should have been clearer.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We are not worse than where we should be. We were picked last in the conference and thanks to Syracuse are actually better than that.

VT is playing really good ball and I doubt we win this weekend. I think we get NCSU for our second conference win which is really about as good as one could expect to start the season.
You expected to lose to an FCS team, score 2 points against Temple, not really even compete against UNC at home and be down by 31 in the second quarter against Duke? You expected to be two plays away from an 0-9 start? You expected to have one of the 10 worst offenses in all of college football? I’ll just say that I had slightly higher expectations. I wasn’t expecting a great team by any means but I expected us to be more competitive than we have been.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You expected to lose to an FCS team, score 2 points against Temple, not really even compete against UNC at home and be down by 31 in the second quarter against Duke? You expected to be two plays away from an 0-9 start? You expected to have one of the 10 worst offenses in all of college football? I’ll just say that I had slightly higher expectations. I wasn’t expecting a great team by any means but I expected us to be more competitive than we have been.

I told people rushing to take the over on 4 wins on the season that I thought we would struggle to get there and to be careful on those bets.

Nothing has surprised me other than the Citadel game.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I told people rushing to take the over on 4 wins on the season that I thought we would struggle to get there and to be careful on those bets.

In fairness, that was a pretty big surprise, and I think would have gotten us a push at worst.

Jolly Good Fellow
In fairness, that was a pretty big surprise......."
Herb, this may be the SWARM understatement of all-time......The Citadel was coming off losses to Elon and St. Mary's nursery school for girls...so, yeah...this was a "pretty big surprise"....

LibertyTurns

Banned

Yep, I got burned pretty bad, possibly. Had much higher expectations for this staff. I failed to do due diligence. In retrospect they’re far too inexperienced to have engineered a 4 win season this year, but maybe we got 2 lucky games coming up! Worried about the post-Vag meltdown. Dude is rattled & I’m concerned the maybe job may be too big for him. Hope not.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
If what you say is true then why was Paul’s best back to back years his first 2? Your argument just doesn’t make sense so please let it die.
You keep making this argument to discount 2014. Not sure why the best back to back proves your point and only explanation for why you keep referring to it is because it is outcome driven. I can play too. If what you say is true then why was his best two out of three years 2014-2016?

Animal02

Banned
Two possibilities:
Clock management against Cid
Running Johnson from the 5 from the gun against Pitt (we had better choices)

You can always argue about "directly" but those were not good decisions IMO and certainly raises the "if" question about the outcomes.
In an earlier game he owned up to encouraging the first 15 yard unsportsman penalty when we scored a TD and then soon after we got two more which led to a score...an open door he did not get closed!

None of these are hanging offenses but do indicate some learning on the job. Hope the coaching learning keeps pace with the player learning.
Not being prepared for the UVA two point try and having to call a time out is another example.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, I got burned pretty bad, possibly. Had much higher expectations for this staff. I failed to do due diligence. In retrospect they’re far too inexperienced to have engineered a 4 win season this year, but maybe we got 2 lucky games coming up! Worried about the post-Vag meltdown. Dude is rattled & I’m concerned the maybe job may be too big for him. Hope not.
CGC is young and only been a head coach for 2 years prior to this year so there is a learning curve and that should be expected. He also took over a team not built for modern football so you should have expected growing pains and most people did. I thought it was refreshing to see a coach show emotion instead of just throwing the players under the bus. I don't know if he is rattled right now but he has 6 more years to figure it out.

Animal02

Banned
CGC is young and only been a head coach for 2 years prior to this year so there is a learning curve and that should be expected. He also took over a team not built for modern football so you should have expected growing pains and most people did. I thought it was refreshing to see a coach show emotion instead of just throwing the players under the bus. I don't know if he is rattled right now but he has 6 more years to figure it out.
He won't have six more years if he continues on the same track he is on......but go ahead, through out some more apologies for him.