Virginia postgame discussion

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Lastly, playing close games is how you get beat. In general, most teams are going to end up around .500 in one score games over a large enough sample. There’s no magic potion that can overcome that.

Careful with this line of rational thought. I got hammered by a few folks a couple weeks back for making that argument and trying to provide data to show that we are well below the 50% mark since 2010...

Thank you vespidae that is what I am trying to say I know a couple of tech players Brandon watts Eddie Lee ivory and a coupla more. If GT would really start trying to engage with us the casual fans instead of sucking up to the alumni and elites we would see a change.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That is a big part of GT and their problem no interaction with the sidewalk fan. They cater to the alumni instead of the casual fan. Call it like I see it. Been to several games and plan to go to more but it is what it is.

I'll have to take a bit of exception with this. I am a sidewalk fan, having never attended GT, but @JorgeJonas was right in an earlier post about following the money. The GTAA caters to donors, whether they be alumnus or sidewalk fan. As a season ticket holder and A-T donor, I have never felt like the GTAA wasn't attentive to me. Like most organizations, however, they really aren't in the business of catering to people who don't contribute to the bottom line. Now, I don't know if you're a donor or not, so I am not trying to paint with too broad a brush, but rather just relating my experience as a sidewalk fan and donor.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
See sideways that is a disparaging remark but they have something tech never will and that is a FAMILY of endearing fans.

If it is disparaging it is because of their behavior towards fans of other schools unfortunate enough to be "between the hedges".

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The difference is, Auburn (and Alabama) have HUGE booster networks. Fund-raising, recruiting, fan engagement ... and it starts in high school and in some cases, grade school. I remember coaches and athletes visiting the schools to build good will. When was the last time Paul Johnson or 3 or 4 Yellow Jackets visited a high school?

This happens more often than you think. I have pictures of a middle school visit from a few years ago with my friends son in it, posing with several GT players. Just because it's not widely publicized, doesn't mean it's not happening.

ugag has fans from all walks of life that purchase their merchandise and support them see your response proves my elitist point. If your not a donor blah blah blah so me buying tech merchandise and buying tickets to games is not support then I will say piss off to GT

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Careful with this line of rational thought. I got hammered by a few folks a couple weeks back for making that argument and trying to provide data to show that we are well below the 50% mark since 2010...

Since I started this fire, let me explain.

Dodd felt that Tech would never be a match for its larger opponents like Alabama. He felt that you had to stay close or you'd just get blown out. So, if Bama scored a TD, you tried to match it quickly and keep the gap small. Spotting a team like Alabama a 21 point lead and hoping you can close it is darn near impossible.

Dodd's view was that if you could stay competitive into the 4th quarter, then Tech had a very good shot at winning. He felt that he was that much better a coach. And none other than Bear Bryant agreed. He HATED to play Georgia Tech close.

Of course, if you can blow somebody out .. you do it. But more often that not, Tech was outgunned. So Dodd's strategy was situational.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the stadium, we are competing against schools which have almost double the capacity and are at or near capacity every damn week. It’s not shocking a 17 year old wants to play in that environment.

Are we? Who are our competitors? If you say it's the ACC, ok. Let's look at the data. For the period 2005 - 2016, Tech averages attendance of 48,235 vs. an ACC average of 51,233. And our attendance has been statistically solid for all years but two. So against our competitors, we stack up very well.

Maxims are bull——. Texas is successful is because they have a huge demand and more resources. Ditto Notre Dame.

Really? Ever run a company? I have. Maxims do a great job of getting a lot of very different people on the same page. Bear Bryant quipped, “I told them my system was based on the “ant plan,” that I’d gotten the idea watching a colony of ants in Africa during the war. A whole bunch of ants working toward a common goal.” Maxims create a common goal.

Lastly, playing close games is how you get beat. In general, most teams are going to end up around .500 in one score games over a large enough sample. There’s no magic potion that can overcome that.
Who said "one score" games? If it's an up tempo game, you have to match score quickly or you'll be behind. (Neyland and Bear Bryant both advocated this. Never, ever stay behind long. If an opponent scores, you must score quickly to keep the gap close.)
Appeals to authority don’t make your argument.

Don’t act like your **** don’t stink and they wouldn’t treat you that way. I have lots of ugag fan friends and have been to many games at ugag stadium decked out in tech gear with ugag alumni and never had a problem

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'll have to take a bit of exception with this. I am a sidewalk fan, having never attended GT, but @JorgeJonas was right in an earlier post about following the money. The GTAA caters to donors, whether they be alumnus or sidewalk fan. As a season ticket holder and A-T donor, I have never felt like the GTAA wasn't attentive to me. Like most organizations, however, they really aren't in the business of catering to people who don't contribute to the bottom line. Now, I don't know if you're a donor or not, so I am not trying to paint with too broad a brush, but rather just relating my experience as a sidewalk fan and donor.

@Augusta_Jacket , did they reach out you to be an A-T donor or did you initiate the process? As I said earlier I have NEVER been contacted by the GTAA. Now I will say the service I've received when I've called has been very good for the most part just to be fair.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I can see now that some will never get what I am trying to say maybe Georgia southern needs another fan

It's not that we don't see what you say, we just don't agree wholeheartedly with your every opinion. I agree with some of your premises, but not all, and that's ok. Painting the alumni as "elite" and "out of touch" is a non-winning move, as they contribute, by far, the most money to the GTAA. If we sidewalk fans want to be heard over the alumni, then we need to pony up the donations.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
@Augusta_Jacket , did they reach out you to be an A-T donor or did you initiate the process? As I said earlier I have NEVER been contacted by the GTAA. Now I will say the service I've received when I've called has been very good for the most part just to be fair.

They reached out to me when I first got my season tickets, and have reached out continuously since.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
They reached out to me when I first got my season tickets, and have reached out continuously since.

Interesting, I guess I fell though the cracks then.

I have preached about a IPTAY type programs for a long time. It is money earmarked for the athletic programs and the concept set up a continual flow of money instead of waiting on the mega donors. Plus is has the advantage of being available to the fans of a specific program! Not long ago I was told by someone I would consider knowledgeable that this was pitched to MBob and shot down unceremoniously. It has been resurfaced with TStans and don't be surprised if it happens!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Interesting, I guess I fell though the cracks then.

I have preached about a IPTAY type programs for a long time. It is money earmarked for the athletic programs and the concept set up a continual flow of money instead of waiting on the mega donors. Plus is has the advantage of being available to the fans of a specific program! Not long ago I was told by someone I would consider knowledgeable that this was pitched to MBob and shot down unceremoniously. It has been resurfaced with TStans and don't be surprised if it happens!

To be honest, I think the assumption is sometimes made that those of us who buy season tickets in non-A-T required sections aren't interested in donating.

As for an IPTAY like program, I concur. I would like to see something similar as well.