Vegas sets GT season wins over/under at 6

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to our opening game vs. Tennessee, we are underdogs in two more early lines per Golden Nugget.

Saturday, October 28
GT @ Clemson (-18)

Saturday, November 25
UGA (-2.5) @ GT

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What site if you don't mind. My bookie won't do it.
Since I don't bet -- no moral qualms, just too cheap -- might I offer a bit of restraint before calling for found money? Line might not be coincidental given that the last two seasons -- '15 we were awful, '16 we were good, Clemson thumped us by 19 points both times. I don't think it will be 18 either, and we have a good chance of winning, and this rivalry needs one down to the wire to remain a rivalry, but just saying: the numbers don't lie.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Since I don't bet -- no moral qualms, just too cheap -- might I offer a bit of restraint before calling for found money? Line might not be coincidental given that the last two seasons -- '15 we were awful, '16 we were good, Clemson thumped us by 19 points both times. I don't think it will be 18 either, and we have a good chance of winning, and this rivalry needs one down to the wire to remain a rivalry, but just saying: the numbers don't lie.
One opponent can give us only one loss in the regular season.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My bookie has over/unders. I called him last week and laid $250 on us to cover the over. He told me I might as well pay you now.
Just like any salesman tells you what a great buying decision you are making when you make it.
If I was a betting person I'd go with the over too but don't take your bookies flattery as anything but salesmanship.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Over/unders are notoriously low, it seems to me, for every team. I think the Falcons O/U is set at 9.5, for example. There is no ACC team with an over/under above 9.5....Clemson, FSU, and Louisville all in that group. I suspect ours reflects respect for the ACC as a conference, a much as anything else...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Data
  • Over/under: 6.5
  • Actual wins: 10
  • Over/under: 7.5
  • Actual wins: 3
  • Over/under: 6.5
  • Actual wins: 8

Observations
  • Coming into our dark horse playoff contending year of 2015, when we had as much offseason respect as I can remember, the over/under was set at 7.5. A common narrative was that the "over" was a slam dunk.
  • In 2016, a common preseason narrative was "will we get back to a bowl or a bowl of any significance?". The over/under was set at 6.5.
  • In 2013 we won 7. In 2012 we won 6. Our 5 year average win total is 6.8 wins.
Conclusion
  • For 2017, given there was not a material change in talent and a top 10 difficulty schedule, I think Vegas has us in a reasonable spot at 6 to 6.5 wins. Obviously that flies in the face of a lot of optimism and we could certainly prove the oddmakers wrong. But Vegas is basically saying that until there is more consistency in better results, there isn't much reason to change their fairly consistent assessment.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Las Vegas Sun: Six teams to bet against this season
Georgia Tech

The Yellow Jackets return an ACC Coastal division-high 16 starters off a team that finished last season with four straight wins including upsets over Virginia Tech and Georgia. That means they should be great, right? Not quite. Georgia Tech was extremely fortunate to go 9-4 last year. It went 3-1 in games decided by less than a touchdown, and ranked sixth in the nation in recovering 66 percent of fumbles. Those are both red flags where some regression should be expected. Odds-wise, Georgia Tech starts the season behind divisional rivals Miami and Virginia Tech but ahead of North Carolina and Pittsburgh. It’s debatable at best that the Yellow Jackets are better than the Tar Heels and Panthers.