Vegas sets GT season wins over/under at 6

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson hasn't had back to back winning seasons vs. FBS opponents since 2009 (counting bowl games). Based on history, I can see how bettors would set the line at 6 wins.

Petition.png

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The bet is six wins... people negating wins is beyond me. Has any other coach at GT had wins subtracted from their total or is it just CPJ.

@jacketup How many times has CPaj had fewer than 6 total wins?
Exactly. Also, I'd like to see everybody else in the conference's record vs FBS and then compare. We don't play any more cupcakes than anybody else. Heck, probably fewer.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Well, I guess the thinking is that against the "Big Six" of UGA, Clemson, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Miami, and UNC we will probably lose at least 4 to all 6 of those. Could happen but I can see us winning 3 or 4 of those as well. Except for UGA all of those teams are replacing quarterbacks (as we are) and among Clemson, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and UNC there are significant other graduation losses to boot. I can see us winning anywhere from 6 to 9 games this year.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The bet is six wins... people negating wins is beyond me. Has any other coach at GT had wins subtracted from their total or is it just CPJ.

@jacketup How many times has CPaj had fewer than 6 total wins?

Paul Johnson has played far more FCS teams than any other GT coach. By way of comparison, Gailey played three FCS teams in six years. Johnson has played 11 FCS teams in 9 years. Do you think it's fair to compare those win-loss records? There was a time for many. many years when we didn't play FCS/1-AA teams at all. Look at historic records and then ask yourself the question you posed to me about subtracting wins.

You people just don't want to admit that to this point in his career at GT, Johnson has been a mediocre head coach (not just OC). His record proves it. But don't let the facts get in the way of your perception.

I will say that after 9 years I saw an improving and well coached team in 2016. I am optimistic for the first time since 2009 that the program is on an upswing. I hope we avoid the let down of 2010-2013,when my fear of a questionable hire became reality.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No... the landscape has changed. This is not the years and collegiate situation Gailel played. Some will not be satisfied till we become Wake or Vandy or more like MIT. Dodd saw a change in the collegiate situation. There has been yet another more drastic shift. Without CPJ we would be less than Virgina or BC given our obstacles. No we are not Stanford!

6 wins is the bet... I'll dance with you if you want?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson has played far more FCS teams than any other GT coach. By way of comparison, Gailey played three FCS teams in six years. Johnson has played 11 FCS teams in 9 years. Do you think it's fair to compare those win-loss records? There was a time for many. many years when we didn't play FCS/1-AA teams at all. Look at historic records and then ask yourself the question you posed to me about subtracting wins.

You people just don't want to admit that to this point in his career at GT, Johnson has been a mediocre head coach (not just OC). His record proves it. But don't let the facts get in the way of your perception.

I will say that after 9 years I saw an improving and well coached team in 2016. I am optimistic for the first time since 2009 that the program is on an upswing. I hope we avoid the let down of 2010-2013,when my fear of a questionable hire became reality.

And every year, we have to say look at conference record.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

****. What coach hasn't been mediocre at Tech? I'll take CPJ every day of the week over what we've had. This isn't 1990. And we sure as hell won't see O'liar type seasons again until we can get some help from the Hill

Bobby Dodd played 1 or 2 FCS-equivalent (Davidson, Furman, Citadel, et al) teams every year from 1945 to 1953; none afterwards. Fulcher played one (VMI) in 1973. Rodgers played one (W&M) in 1979. All of those years, we played 10-game schedules. With the 11-game schedule, Curry played one (Furman) in 1983, losing, I might add, one in 1984 (Citadel), two in 1985 (UTC and W Carolina), and two in 1986 (Furman, a tie, and VMI). Ross played two each in 1987 and 1988; one in 1989 (W Carolina); one in 1990 (UTC); and one in 1991 (Furman, again losing). Between then and when CPJ arrived, we randomly played either one or two each year, with 12 game seasons beginning in 2001. So contrary to what you claim, Tech has a history of playing FCS-equivalent schools, sometimes twice in a season, dating back to Dodd. I wish we didn't play any such teams, but CPJ is no different than any other coach we have had, especially considering that we play 12 games a season now. Furthermore, your claim that Gailey only played 3 in 6 years is somewhat negated by the fact that he had nothing to with the scheduling of at least the first two years, maybe more, and in 2006 and 2007, he played two such teams each year, since at that time, Army (2007) was FCS-equivalent.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul Johnson has played far more FCS teams than any other GT coach. By way of comparison, Gailey played three FCS teams in six years. Johnson has played 11 FCS teams in 9 years. Do you think it's fair to compare those win-loss records? There was a time for many. many years when we didn't play FCS/1-AA teams at all. Look at historic records and then ask yourself the question you posed to me about subtracting wins."

My observations...
Since 2008 (CPJ's first year), there have been 6 teams to win the Natty. I've listed them (plus GT), along with the number of FCS and non-power 5 opponents over that time below:

2008-2016
Team, FCS/non-P5 opponents, (total FCS+non P5)

Clemson, 9/10, (19)
Alabama, 8/16, (24)
Ohio State, 2/23, (25)
FSU, 11/13, (24)
Auburn, 9/21, (30)
Florida, 8/20, (28)

GT, 11/7, (18)

Based on my limited deduction skills, looks like GT's non-conference schedule has been more competitive than the very best teams in the entire country over the past 9 years.

My observations...
Since 2008 (CPJ's first year), there have been 6 teams to win the Natty. I've listed them (plus GT), along with the number of FCS and non-power 5 opponents over that time below:

2008-2016
Team, FCS/non-P5 opponents, (total FCS+non P5)

Clemson, 9/10, (19)
Alabama, 8/16, (24)
Ohio State, 2/23, (25)
FSU, 11/13, (24)
Auburn, 9/21, (30)
Florida, 8/20, (28)

GT, 11/7, (18)

Based on my limited deduction skills, looks like GT's non-conference schedule has been more competitive than the very best teams in the entire country over the past 9 years.
Ah, but those are FACTS, like what I posted (although with one error). Haters don't listen to FACTS.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
****. What coach hasn't been mediocre at Tech? I'll take CPJ every day of the week over what we've had. This isn't 1990. And we sure as hell won't see O'liar type seasons again until we can get some help from the Hill

Call me crazy, but I'd put 2009 and 2014 as at least equal (probably better, to be honest) to any season O'Leary had at Tech. His best record ever was 10-2 with a Gator Bowl, then 9-3.