Vegas sets GT season wins over/under at 6

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I guess the thinking is that against the "Big Six" of UGA, Clemson, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Miami, and UNC we will probably lose at least 4 to all 6 of those. Could happen but I can see us winning 3 or 4 of those as well. Except for UGA all of those teams are replacing quarterbacks (as we are) and among Clemson, Tennessee, Virginia Tech and UNC there are significant other graduation losses to boot. I can see us winning anywhere from 6 to 9 games this year.
Ah, but sideways, are you willing to place a bet, that's the question?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well, this is the deal. On my grandmother's death bed I promised her (a dyed in wool hard shell Baptist mind you) that I would abstain from alcohol and gambling. This is a promise I have faithfully kept to this day more than 30 years later. But if I was a betting man, I would place the house, the car, the cat, and my wife along with the entirety of my bank account and a stock portfolio worth in excess of $500,000 clams on us winning seven or more. That suit you?

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, this is the deal. On my grandmother's death bed I promised her (a dyed in wool hard shell Baptist mind you) that I would abstain from alcohol and gambling. This is a promise I have faithfully kept to this day more than 30 years later. But if I was a betting man, I would place the house, the car, the cat, and my wife along with the entirety of my bank account and a stock portfolio worth in excess of $500,000 clams on us winning seven or more. That suit you?
Not really. With the wife thrown in it feels like you are hedging your bet.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
While I think we will likely win more, it's a understandable where the line is.

On average Johnson has won 4.67 ACC games per year. That combined with playing UT and UGA, and on the road at another bowl team in UCF I can see where, by looking at the schedule, 6 wins would be used as a starting point for an early betting line.

Looking at the schedule a bit closer one of the odd things that stands out is the home vs away layout. IMO our easiest game, JSU, is at home and our hardest, Clemson, is on the road. After that though i feel like our hardest OOC, UGA, and in conference, UNC and VT, games are at home while our easiest OOC, UCF, and in conference, Duke and UVA, are on the road. That kind of set up lends itself to a wider range of outcomes for the season. We could use homefield advantage to steal a game or two from teams who might be better than us, and can pick up a couple of road wins against the weaker teams. Or it could be the other way around where we drop a game or two that we should win because its on the road, and the home field isn't enough to overcome the better team. No real way of knowing which way it will go, but wit a new QB I tend to lean toward the latter.

Anyways, the biggest question going into next year is replacing Thomas. While we have a couple of decent to good options, starting with Tenn on a neutral field pretty much guarantees that Jordan will start the year as the number 1 imo. IMO the biggest threat for us having a real stinker year, missing a bowl game, is that Johnson goes with Jordan because of experience in game 1, even if he isn't the best player, leading to bad momentum throughout the year.

I'd still put the prediction at 7 wins, but it's early, and it's only one place.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And CPJ has a long track record of picking the wrong QB to lead the way. :confused:

How many times has he really had a choice here though? The only two situations that were close to this were between Washington and Lee and then the following year between Lee and Thomas. In the first, our back up led us to our best offensive performance and probably best win of the year, while our starter was pulled from our rivalry game. In the second, our starter left at the end of the year. In both cases there are arguments to be made that the wrong QB was chosen.

Anyways, I didn't say it would happen, but that it would be the most likely scenario for our season to blow up; if Johnson made he wrong choice in QB and the only way that is likely to happen is if he goes with experience over talent because of the first game being what it is. And yes, I do think it's a legitimate concern.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
CBS Sports project the over/under win totals for every ACC team entering the 2017 season
Georgia Tech -- 6 (Over): You're just not going to find many coaches as saucy as Paul Johnson, who has now become one of the longest-tenured coaches in the league. CPJ has been taking aim at the SEC for years, which has to be a result of being surrounded by the league and its alumni in Atlanta. I think the Yellow Jackets will beat Tennessee, win at least four of their next five games but then fall from the ACC title picture in October after road trips to Miami and Clemson.

SlawDog

Banned
I promise you that she won't care now

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
On the contrary, the Good Book assures us in Hebrews "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses ...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..." My grandmother is assuredly in that great cloud of witnesses and as I promised so long ago I will finish the race that was set before me come what may.

Now about that schedule. Yes, it is fraught with potential disasters away games at Miami and Clemson. There is only one cupcake that I can see and as someone stated earlier even UCF has a very good defense. OTOH, I am encouraged by the late season blocking by what I believe will be our quickest and most athletic offensive line, the experience and toughness of our abacks and receivers, and the ever determined Mr. Mills. We will go as far as our defense takes us. Is Coach Roof and company up to the task is the question that will determine our fate. (Despite recent history and lack of success I do NOT consider Virginia and Duke to be cupcakes. They are more than capable of fixing our little red wagon) Some may note that I did not mention quarterback. Assuming a somewhat contrarian position, I actually think this position will prove to be the least of our worries.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well, you know what PJ says: "It is what it is" In this case, the IT being the defense. Cheer up! They might have a surprise in store for us. Wouldn't you like to see an aggressive, hard hitting, slobber knocking defense like we had under Tenuta? I know I would. Our recruiting on defense has gotten much better so there is that. I wonder if K Michael, Phillip, Gary, Eric, Dawan (spelling?), Chris and the guys have any eligibility left?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
On the contrary, the Good Book assures us in Hebrews "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses ...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..." My grandmother is assuredly in that great cloud of witnesses and as I promised so long ago I will finish the race that was set before me come what may.

Now about that schedule. Yes, it is fraught with potential disasters away games at Miami and Clemson. There is only one cupcake that I can see and as someone stated earlier even UCF has a very good defense. OTOH, I am encouraged by the late season blocking by what I believe will be our quickest and most athletic offensive line, the experience and toughness of our abacks and receivers, and the ever determined Mr. Mills. We will go as far as our defense takes us. Is Coach Roof and company up to the task is the question that will determine our fate. (Despite recent history and lack of success I do NOT consider Virginia and Duke to be cupcakes. They are more than capable of fixing our little red wagon) Some may note that I did not mention quarterback. Assuming a somewhat contrarian position, I actually think this position will prove to be the least of our worries.

This was discussed when schedules came out but maybe forgotten. georgia, Clemson, Wake have week off before us. Duke plays Army week before us. Playing Clemson there is tough enough but with week off before will make it even tougher.

I am probably as concerned about Butker and Rodwell replacements as anyone, other than PJ Davis

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This was discussed when schedules came out but maybe forgotten. georgia, Clemson, Wake have week off before us. Duke plays Army week before us. Playing Clemson there is tough enough but with week off before will make it even tougher.

I am probably as concerned about Butker and Rodwell replacements as anyone, other than PJ Davis

Let's see, three teams have the week off before our game and Duke just happens to play a team with a similar offense. Extraordinary, you would think it was intended. But that can't be as all these teams practice good sportsmanship and each has a keen sense of fair play.

Georgia plays Kentucky in Athens the week before they play us.