@VCU

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
We won this with Okogie on the bench...Moore on the bench...those kids make plays despite moments of immaturity...in time they'll be in there down the stretch.Heyward will be phased out with Matthews and AD getting a little more time.AD made some big hustle plays tonight that only a player like him can make.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Anytime you outrebound VCU and don't turn the ball over - you are playing a really gritty basketball game. Yes Tadrick provided the flash and points but a lot of grit from Lammers, Q and even Corey playing that zone for much of the second half and not getting rebounded out of the game was just as big.

Tadrick wasn't under control by most any view of his play but good god did he play hard.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
What a great win! I will soak them up when they come. This is a fun team to get behind, and our coach is contagious to listen to. He's getting these guys to play hard.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's a good win. Alot of bad in it (TO and FT), but the guys continued to play hard and made plays when they had to. Very satisfying.

TJ had the best game i've seen from him. He made shots and took care of the ball (really the only guard to do so). We need him to be less bi polar. He either has a great game or a horrible game. We need alot of good games.

PG's were not good though Heath hit a couple of big shots.

Lammers was his typical self. I expect him to be the most consistent player on the team.

Q quietly had a solid night. When he can be more of a glue guy instead of a lead scorer he is so much more valuable. 12 pts, 8 rbs, 3 assts (2 TO), 2 blocks, 1 steal,

Happy for the team. This is the type of win that helps keep a team going and working hard in what is likely to be a tough season.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
On the pick and roll, Heath needs to shoot the floater more as he has a good one. As he makes more of them, it will eventually open up Big Ben for the high percentage shot.

Heyward needs to shot a little more to at least make the defense think he will. As the game progressed, he forced bounce passes to Big Ben that were not there. I think had he at least shot the ball once in a while, it would have given the defense something to think about.

Big Ben played another great game however we've got to get him some rest in the second half. While I understand wanting to give him the last shot in overtime, it was obvious that he was running on fumes thus missed the shot and free throws. I would have also loved to see him on a high pick and roll with TJ at the end of regulation. I think we would have had better results with TJ's last shot had that happened.

Lot of things to clean up however something to build on. It's good to build coming off a win. Hopefully this momentum will carry over into practice with the team continually improving.

Lastly this style of play should appeal to recruits. Hope MJ Walker is looking and thinking about the possibilities....

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Heath needs to play better in these games. He's going to be the guy as Moore grows. Justin has some growing to do. I have said I want Mooore to play the majority but he also needs to show he can handle it. Heath and Q need to play smart and lead. We have enough inexperience playing a lot of minutes that we don't need shot clock violations and 10 second violations from our seniors.

Jax is such a tease. It kills me. Last night he was entertaining though. A lot of "no no no, ok good shot" moments. Still had to try to out athlete two guys near the end of the game and we ended up with a zero point possession. Just take the 5 foot easy basket.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Heath needs to play better in these games. He's going to be the guy as Moore grows. Justin has some growing to do. I have said I want Mooore to play the majority but he also needs to show he can handle it. Heath and Q need to play smart and lead. We have enough inexperience playing a lot of minutes that we don't need shot clock violations and 10 second violations from our seniors.

Good point about Moore. Yes he made several questionable passes and mistakes last night however we don't want him to lose his aggression. Let's hope he doesn't start looking to the bench whenever he commits a turnover and in the right situations, CJP allows him to play through the mistakes while coaching him up.

He is probably a 4 year guy, either as a starter or key reserve off the bench. Still needs to develop a floater and improve on free throw shooting however if he is a willing learner, he should be alright.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
With this team there will be games like Tennessee where they look awful and games like last night where we can surprise people. I have been overly happy with Pastner's and staff's coaching so far. I knew when we hired him he was a great recruiter but love what I have seen coaching wise. For example;
1.) I love the mixing up of defenses, there were times last night VCU took 15 seconds off the clock before they knew what D we were in
2.) I love the pace with which we play compared to old regime
3.) Really like the flex style Princeton concepts we run on O
4.) This one all GT hoops fans should like, it's nice to have timeouts to use at the end of the game

slugboy

Staff member
I caught the last 5 minutes of regulation plus overtime. I thought we got some rough calls by the refs, but we got a couple of lucky calls from them too. Saw Heyward get mugged on a breakaway with no call that would have salted the game away in regulation. Or one more rebound or one free throw. Loved that we got a high-intensity win.
<delusional>Makes me think that maybe conference play might have a bright spot. <delusional/>