Vandy Postgame

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Some of y'all might think im crazy but this game from top to bottom, offense, defense, and special teams was better than any game we played in 2014 imo. I'm not going to get to excited yet but we could be looking at a special year IF we continue to build on this performance.
Yea I think you're crazy.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
After Vandy carved up the D on their first possession AND THEN appeared to be doing the some on their first drive to start the 2nd half, many of us were - "oh crap... Ted's D is going to break..." SO GLAD that is NOT what happened!!!

Tip of the ol' cap to the D!!! Heck of a game.
JT .. just WOW!!!!! Great reads on option plays, decent passing :)
O-line pass blocked well again :)
Vandy's O isn't that great overall and we didn't help them out too much... bottom line the D did a fine job today.
Special Teams did a very good job.
AB's and WR's had some very nice seal blocks on the edge.
Dline seemed to get better as the game went along.
#2 D players didn't mail it in, played hard and looked good.
Good play calling on both sides of the ball for GT.

Pretty much a complete game by GT, yet still room for improvement.

Hope Klock is well enough to get back into the rotation on the line.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Vandy's LB #41 was pretty impressive. Without him, the game would have been over at halftime. Think he will be playing on Sundays.

Really. Thought he sucked, very slow getting towards the edge. He was almost literally never home when we got a pitch away. Worst LB we have seen, and a big reason we were effective, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Georgia, Miami, Mississippi State. Clemson's QB kind of gave us the game that year. I understand the excitement and I'm proud of us too but some of y'all need to realize that Vandy sucks.
I never said vandy was good, nor was I talking about the level of completion. I was simply saying from offense to defense to special teams I don't believe we had this good of a game in 2014, that's top to bottom not just one facet of the game.

We had over 500 total offense and had 5 plays over 20 yards, we held them to under 300,we had a punt at the 1 yard line and pinned another on the 10 yard line, gave up no big returns and had a nice return by JJ, we gave up only one play over 20 yards and held them to 7.

Against UGA we gave up 3 plays over 20 and one of those was a 65 yard run, gave up close to 400 yard, and they scored 24 on us. Against them we put up a little under 500 yards with 3 plays over 20 yards, but put not punts inside the 20.

Against Miami we gave up around 350 yards, 6 plays over 20 yards and gave up 17. Against them we put up close to 375 on offense, and 2 plays over 20 yards, but we did pin 3 punts inside the 20.

Against miss state we gave up over 600 yards, 34 points, and 2 plays over 20 yards. We put up a little under 600 yards on them with 5 plays over 20 yards and no punts inside the 20.

My point is in the games in 2014 we might have had as good of a special teams game, or offense as this game but none of the games were as good from top to bottom regardless of competition.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I never said vandy was good, nor was I talking about the level of completion. I was simply saying from offense to defense to special teams I don't believe we had this good of a game in 2014, that's top to bottom not just one facet of the game.

We had over 500 total offense and had 5 plays over 20 yards, we held them to under 300,we had a punt at the 1 yard line and pinned another on the 10 yard line, gave up no big returns and had a nice return by JJ, we gave up only one play over 20 yards and held them to 7.

Against UGA we gave up 3 plays over 20 and one of those was a 65 yard run, gave up close to 400 yard, and they scored 24 on us. Against them we put up a little under 500 yards with 3 plays over 20 yards, but put not punts inside the 20.

Against Miami we gave up around 350 yards, 6 plays over 20 yards and gave up 17. Against them we put up close to 375 on offense, and 2 plays over 20 yards, but we did pin 3 punts inside the 20.

Against miss state we gave up over 600 yards, 34 points, and 2 plays over 20 yards. We put up a little under 600 yards on them with 5 plays over 20 yards and no punts inside the 20.

My point is in the games in 2014 we might have had as good of a special teams game, or offense as this game but none of the games were as good from top to bottom regardless of competition.
Our best overall game in 2014 may have been the Clemson game, but i think you're right.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Georgia, Miami, Mississippi State. Clemson's QB kind of gave us the game that year. I understand the excitement and I'm proud of us too but some of y'all need to realize that Vandy sucks.

Agreed. I think we can take away the fact that we did what we were supposed to do, and even a little more against a bad opponent that has a solid defense, but an abysmal offense.

We have a stretch coming up of 3 straight teams that can really put some points on the board, so if we can win 2 out of 3 against them, and our Denise looks improved against those 3 teams, we will be in business. Go jackets, beat Clemson.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I think we can take away the fact that we did what we were supposed to do, and even a little more against a bad opponent that has a solid defense, but an abysmal offense.

We have a stretch coming up of 3 straight teams that can really put some points on the board, so if we can win 2 out of 3 against them, and our Denise looks improved against those 3 teams, we will be in business. Go jackets, beat Clemson.

I think we can all agree on seeing an improved Denise as a good thing

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Two other things. How in the world did we ever sign Adams? DTs that size never sign with us.

Because he cares about life after football. Was comitted to Vandy before decomitting and signing with us. Gotta keep on the kids who want to study in high academic environments.

Dude was pushing the pile. Wasn't ever really a threat to get to the QB, but he was strong against the run, and collapsed the pocket and helped create gaps for our rushers. Just only a T-FR. Wait until he gets grown man strong. He's going to be All-ACC before his time is done.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some observations:

-Our offense is beginning to click. Still not a well oiled machine, but the OL and ABs are doing a better job...of their job. Clemson game is gonna be fun.

-Our young DTs are going to be GOOD. KCH, Glanton, and Adams are true DTs and not DEs that have to play DTs. They're impacting the game and are going to get better and better. Adams is going to have a nice career here if he does what coaches ask of him. KCH is so quick laterally. If he can get stronger and develop a bull rush, he's going to be good. Glanton is a nice blend of KCH and Adams. It's nice to be optimistic about the interior DL after all these years.

-Clinton Lynch. Look at the stats...you'll be surprised. Qua is getting all of the love early, and well deserved, but Lynch is just doing what he did all last year. Quietly going about his job and making plays.

-Nice to see an appearance from Philpott, and Camp should have gotten his first catch yesterday.

-Our LBs are still a liability in pass defense. They're OK against the run, but look lost in space.

-Tre Jackson. Dude is a fireplug. Great seeing him make plays, and brought a lot of energy and passion to his job. Love it.

-JeT has a little more juice this year, though better blocking probably helps a lot.

-If you wonder why Mikell Lands-Davis is playing WR and not AB, focus on him. Dude is ruthless out there putting guys on their backsides.

-Simmons and Saint-Amour need more snaps. We could have a REALLY good DL later this year, and definitely one next year.

-Braun. Shamire and Will need to start playing at a high level consistently or else they'll see "Braun" above them in the depth chart.

-The QB1 position next year is going to be a legit race. MJ has looked alright, but he hasn't closed the door on the 2017 race by any means. Lucas Johnson, Jay Jones, and Marshall definitely have the opportunity to say something about it.

-Say what you want about our defense, but they've given up only 34 points in 3 games.

This team is definitely a bowl team. Heck, we actually should be in the race for the Coastal. May not win it, but we'll be a legit player.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........ It's easy to take Justin for granted, but he is really playing some ball. With the improved protection his passing ability is much better this year. He's playing the TO point guard, he dishes just right or he keeps and makes a big gain. Total poise this year. If it isn't there, he throws it away, but always in a way that isn't grounding.

I think JT's pitching was the best I have seen from him. Maybe as good as any GT QB.

From the post game, liked that we have no known injuries.