Vandy defensive front and LB's

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Vandy is built well to defend GT's offense. Those teams took advantage of Vandy's defense because they aren't a great pass rush team, and last year they couldn't keep their defense off the field. Not a great combination against spread/tempo attacks. This is a game GT should win, but Vandy is a tough matchup for our offense.

If they don't have a good pass rush coupled with the vastly improved pass-pro we've seen from the O-line so far, Sticky Ricky, Stewart, and Searcy could have a big day. JT looks great throwing the rock this season.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If we play well I think we win. If we don't? Could go either way. We play bad....turnovers etc.....count on a loss.

I like our chances but I don't see the easy blowout some of y'all do. They ain't Mercer.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have no idea how this game will go, but I will say this much: the result won't mean too much more than a single W or a single L. I just don't agree that this game will determine our season, one way or the other. If we "boat race" them, it will mean we are 3-0 and played well that day. If we win a squeaker, it will mean we are 3-0 and still have stuff to work on. If we lose, it will mean we are 2-1 with stuff to focus on. Teams can go either way after both wins and losses and it just depends on how they react. Truly, football teams build resumes over the course of a season, but it happens slowly and no single game in week three really ever defines a season. If this were not so, bowls would be a heck of a lot easier to predict. After all, 12 games should define a team right?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And boomer wins the "most logical / best reasoned" post of the week award. If we lose this won't stop the bridge jumpers though.

I think a loss is more likely than a blowout over them.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea how this game will go, but I will say this much: the result won't mean too much more than a single W or a single L. I just don't agree that this game will determine our season, one way or the other. If we "boat race" them, it will mean we are 3-0 and played well that day. If we win a squeaker, it will mean we are 3-0 and still have stuff to work on. If we lose, it will mean we are 2-1 with stuff to focus on. Teams can go either way after both wins and losses and it just depends on how they react. Truly, football teams build resumes over the course of a season, but it happens slowly and no single game in week three really ever defines a season. If this were not so, bowls would be a heck of a lot easier to predict. After all, 12 games should define a team right?

Of course, but it will indicate potential. A blowout indicates more potential than a squeeker, no?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Of course, but it will indicate potential. A blowout indicates more potential than a squeeker, no?
That's just it, I'm not so sure. It sounds like it should, but crushing Tulane by 60 something sure didn't last year. I would love to win big, don't get me wrong. Most of all I just want to play well and find a way to win. I really don't know what Vandy is made of.

Rest assured, if we do win big, there will a major contingent on this board saying "THAT was Vandy, they are the dregs of the SEC and it doesn't mean much. We have a real team coming in next week and we are still a ship full of holes". There is some truth in all of this, but some fallacy as well. That is what makes college football so much fun. You have to play em to find out.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
WAAAAY to much unjustified overconfidence on our part here.

On top of that, it appears we do not have the correct cleats for our players. Peterson appointed a search committee to see if we could find someone to walk the 35 - 85 feet back into the equipment room to try and find the proper footwear but the group has not found someone to give the job to yet.

Believe it or not, a manufacturer (trying to obtain our shoe business) has offered to, at no cost, ship us free footwear for the team that would cover any contingency. Sadly, that company is in North Catolina, and Peterson has decreed he would rather see our kids play in socks than to wear those cleats.

So time will tell.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The fact is we're all going to be on pins and needles the whole year and it boils down to all the issues everybody is addressing. It's hard to win a college football game, even for Alabama. The uncertainty drives me crazy (I love a good blowout) but a 4th quarter/last minute win is really fun. Tech has to play well to win.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
A win against Vandy will make me happy. Certainly if the game is close or if we lose many will want their least favorite GT coach to be fired, but that is what they want right now. If we destroy Vandy they will right it off as a beat down of a crappy team. Conversely if we destroy Vandy I will harbor strong hopes of ruining Clempsun's season and winning the ACC championship etc and use the win as further justification for my belief that CPJ is exactly the right coach. If we lose I will rationalize that this is an early non-conference game of minor importance and that there is still time to have a great season.
Without the contrast, this board would be filled with vacuous "totally agree" responses. I am glad the season has started and by the way, you CPJ bashers are wrong.!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm rethinking my very optimistic post of yesterday. I got to thinking how many times in recent years I have felt that way pregame, but when the game was played it turned out to be a nail biter. As many, including Paul Johnson, have said, we are a good team but not a dominant team. We don't have the kind of talent it takes to win easily or to win when we don't play well. We can beat anyone and we can lose to anyone. I'd love to have it decided in our favor early, but I really don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I'm rethinking my very optimistic post of yesterday. I got to thinking how many times in recent years I have felt that way pregame, but when the game was played it turned out to be a nail biter. As many, including Paul Johnson, have said, we are a good team but not a dominant team. We don't have the kind of talent it takes to win easily or to win when we don't play well. We can beat anyone and we can lose to anyone. I'd love to have it decided in our favor early, but I really don't know what tomorrow will bring.

What you just said is so very true, therefore I am ignoring it.