Vandy defensive front and LB's

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Just reviewing Vandy's starting defense front it appears that they are very stout all the way to the linebackers; Based on their size especially the linebackers I just don't see us moving the ball consistently up the middle; I believe our game strategy should be quick tosses to the outside , running the option and quick pass plays ; The linebackers are very big ; hopefully because of this they may be not as quick to the outside and we can exploit them . Just my opinion

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
They have three very good LBs in Zach Cunningham (All-American), Nigel Bowden, and Oren Burks. Burks was an All-SEC safety last year and has transitioned very well to LB. I expect Burks to give us fits due to his speed and physicality (similar to Milano from BC). This will not be an easy win by any means.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm with 33. But that is probably bad news. I am absolutely awful at predicting how college football games will go.

To me, it looks like a good matchup for us. I would be more nervous if Vandy had a strong passing game. Taken individually, I don't see why, but collectively we are pretty good against the run. I think our offense is coming along. We have too many weapons for Vandy to handle.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
iirc our offense vs. base 3-4 teams is pretty good and our defense does pretty well vs. I form/power run teams. I'm thinking 28-10 type for win for us

UGA the last 10 years says, "Woof."

Not that Vandy has UGA talent. But they play in the SEC so that automatically spots them about 8 points. I'm with 33 on this one, I'd be more worried about our defense being stout against the run and putting eyes where they need to be ... like not in the backfield on playaction off 46 Power Right.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest, if GT rolls Vandy, I will be VERY encouraged for the prospects this year.

Vandy doesn't suck, IMO. I think you guys are sleeping on their defense. I'm thinking this will be one of those BC games, where it's close,and looks better as the season goes on.

If we boat race them, this could be a special season, because there are a LOT of winnable games on teh schedule with defenses not near as good as Vandy.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest, if GT rolls Vandy, I will be VERY encouraged for the prospects this year.

Vandy doesn't suck, IMO. I think you guys are sleeping on their defense. I'm thinking this will be one of those BC games, where it's close,and looks better as the season goes on.

If we boat race them, this could be a special season, because there are a LOT of winnable games on teh schedule with defenses not near as good as Vandy.

We roll cuz i think our offense explodes. Even if our D gives up 24 or 27 or whatever we may put on 45. We have done that to solid D in the past when we were good.

I am hoping we do it here.

If we do its a good sign. If we struggle, again, the next 3 could be losses

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

ilove, I may be overconfident, but I think if we played BC in our third game on a dry field at home, we'd boat race them. I guess we'll know in a few days.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We roll cuz i think our offense explodes. Even if our D gives up 24 or 27 or whatever we may put on 45. We have done that to solid D in the past when we were good.

I am hoping we do it here.

If we do its a good sign. If we struggle, again, the next 3 could be losses

Like I said, if the offense explodes on Vandy, that's a REALLY good sign, because their run defense is good, IMO (MTSU notwithstanding).

Right now I have UVA, Duke, and GSU penciled as likely wins. If gt has the kind of offense that can style on Vandy, I add Miami, Pitt, and VT to that list. That's a 9 win season with none of UGA, Clemson or UNC looking unbeatable.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
To me this game feels like an absolutely pivotal litmus test with the rest of the season's prospects hanging in the balance. Perfect winnable matchup vs a power-5 team for the resume (instead of ND) with the chance to put last year in the rear-view. Remember we're playing a team from the almighty SEC here. Win this game and we're almost certainly looking at a return to a bowl game. Losing could spell another 3-9-level disaster and the end of the Paul Johnson era.

Funny thing is from an outsider's point of view GT gets minimal benefit here. Win and it'll be "Oh well that was just Vandy. so what". Lose and it's "LOL you guys just lost to doormat Vandy. Pathetic." Lose-lose from a program status perspective. Big-time springboard or free-fall for Georgia Tech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sure hope you're right. GT looked very 2015 against BC. Let's all hope their defense turns-out like 2015 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC was almost the perfect storm nightmare opening opponent for us. The option always takes a few games to get going. The last thing you want is to face the best D in college football in game one on a wet field, no less. Luckily, their O is pretty bad so it was a wash. Late game heroics saved the day.