Vandy defensive front and LB's

axegt

Georgia Tech Fan
We roll cuz i think our offense explodes. Even if our D gives up 24 or 27 or whatever we may put on 45. We have done that to solid D in the past when we were good.

I am hoping we do it here.

If we do its a good sign. If we struggle, again, the next 3 could be losses

When has GT put up 45 points on a defense of Vanderbilt's quality? This is a legit defense. Cunningham is probably a first round pick. Burks is a play-maker and the rest of the front 7 is very solid. The Vandy offense is awful, but the defense is probably a shade under BC because they don't have the same kind of DLs, but the LB corps is legit.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest, if GT rolls Vandy, I will be VERY encouraged for the prospects this year.

Vandy doesn't suck, IMO. I think you guys are sleeping on their defense. I'm thinking this will be one of those BC games, where it's close,and looks better as the season goes on.

If we boat race them, this could be a special season, because there are a LOT of winnable games on teh schedule with defenses not near as good as Vandy.
I'm not sure where you're getting the run defense being good from (and I'm actually curious which is sometimes hard to convey on a message board.) They were 36th last year allowing 143.2 yards per game at 4 yards per attempt (BC allowed 82.8/game and 2.4/attempt.) This year they have been okay against questionable opponents. I agree they pass the eye test, but the eye test is not a good indicator as big linebackers are going to be gassed on a death march ala Miss St - at least hopefully. As others have mentioned a 3-4 plays to our favor. They're going to have to cheat linebackers to not give up the easy 3 yard dive play we'll take all day. Once those guys are cheated too far inside it's rocket toss/last 2 options of the triple option time

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I cant believe we are concerned about this game. Even moreso all the posts worried about our offense. My gosh of all the units to worry about its defense. With that said

I am not worried.

Gt rolls
If we are worried about this game thats not a good sign of where we are as a program. Also, Vandy lost to South Carolina at home and USC is terrible. Im thinkin we win 35-14 or somewhere in that area.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
The Vandy D has given up ~500 yards in 3 of their last 4 games. The only game they didn't was the Cocks and I'm not sure the Cocks' offense qualifies as Division I.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
The pieces are starting to fall in place for our young offensive players. Like the first two games (and likely the rest of our season), I think Qua is going to be the difference maker . He is just too tough for a linebacker to match up with in space in the passing game and is deceptively fast in the running game. If Justin can hit some early passes to soften the defense, I think it will be a long day for Vandy. Hopefully Ted will stack the box and make Vandy's QB beat us deep.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure where you're getting the run defense being good from (and I'm actually curious which is sometimes hard to convey on a message board.) They were 36th last year allowing 143.2 yards per game at 4 yards per attempt (BC allowed 82.8/game and 2.4/attempt.) This year they have been okay against questionable opponents. I agree they pass the eye test, but the eye test is not a good indicator as big linebackers are going to be gassed on a death march ala Miss St - at least hopefully. As others have mentioned a 3-4 plays to our favor. They're going to have to cheat linebackers to not give up the easy 3 yard dive play we'll take all day. Once those guys are cheated too far inside it's rocket toss/last 2 options of the triple option time

Totally fair question. So, as follows:Last year they were the #20 defense in the nation in SP+ according to Football outsiders, and they returned 9 starters on D. So far for 2016 they're ranked 8th. Yes, it's early, I won't dispute that, and a sample size that small may be meaningless, but a good defense that returns a lot of guys and a highly regarded coordinator makes it seem like not an illusion.

Plus, yeah, they pass the eye test.

That said, I COMPLETELY get where maybe they're not legit. I mean, their performance against SC looks way worse after what MSU did to SC's running game, and MTSU did get on them early. Maybe I'm wrong. :) Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

axegt

Georgia Tech Fan
The Vandy D has given up ~500 yards in 3 of their last 4 games. The only game they didn't was the Cocks and I'm not sure the Cocks' offense qualifies as Division I.

Vandy is built well to defend GT's offense. Those teams took advantage of Vandy's defense because they aren't a great pass rush team, and last year they couldn't keep their defense off the field. Not a great combination against spread/tempo attacks. This is a game GT should win, but Vandy is a tough matchup for our offense.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Totally fair question. So, as follows:Last year they were the #20 defense in the nation in SP+ according to Football outsiders, and they returned 9 starters on D. So far for 2016 they're ranked 8th. Yes, it's early, I won't dispute that, and a sample size that small may be meaningless, but a good defense that returns a lot of guys and a highly regarded coordinator makes it seem like not an illusion.

That said, I COMPLETELY get where maybe they're not legit. I mean, their performance against SC looks way worse after what MSU did to SC's running game, and MTSU did get on them early. Maybe I'm wrong. :) Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.
CPJ is going to suck up those big 240lb linebackers and rocket toss and pitch to Searcy all day long ; I see the LB"S gassed also by the 3rd quarter from trying to tackle sideline to sideline ; I really think CPJ only needs about 4 plays out of his playbook to win this one

axegt

Georgia Tech Fan
Their LBs can really run. Cunningham is all over the field running sideline to sideline and Burks is a former safety who is fast! I'm having Sean Spence nightmares.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They have three very good LBs in Zach Cunningham (All-American), Nigel Bowden, and Oren Burks. Burks was an All-SEC safety last year and has transitioned very well to LB. I expect Burks to give us fits due to his speed and physicality (similar to Milano from BC). This will not be an easy win by any means.

Interesting tidbit that recruitniks probably remember: We flipped Bowden from Vandy at one time...then he flipped back to Vandy a week later.

Bowden defending our offense will be interesting. Wonder if CPJ gives him the Cam Chancellor treatment.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck

Interesting how everybody just accepts Boston College's defense to be just as strong as last year's #1 unit (despite losing their two best players and defensive coordinator)...whereas ilovetheoption must justify concerns over Vanderbilt's D this year (despite returning 9 starters and finishing #20 last year playing in the vaunted SEC).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
When has GT put up 45 points on a defense of Vanderbilt's quality? This is a legit defense. Cunningham is probably a first round pick. Burks is a play-maker and the rest of the front 7 is very solid. The Vandy offense is awful, but the defense is probably a shade under BC because they don't have the same kind of DLs, but the LB corps is legit.

Miss st d was every bit as good as vandys in 2014. Miami in 08. Uga in 08. Both every bit as good as vandys today....i am sure there are more. This is off the top of my head. You guys are acting like vandy has a top 10 D. They are not; they are a top 30 d at best this year imo look at ppd or yards a play

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is going to suck up those big 240lb linebackers and rocket toss and pitch to Searcy all day long ; I see the LB"S gassed also by the 3rd quarter from trying to tackle sideline to sideline ; I really think CPJ only needs about 4 plays out of his playbook to win this one
Whew that's good because everyone always says we only have 5 plays.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Last year, versus FBS competition:
BC: #4, 4.46 yards/play (#8 vs pwr 5, 4.03)
Vandy: #44, 5.40 yds/play (#22 vs pwr5, 4.97)
BC: #2, 2.67 yds/carry (#4 vs pwr5)
Vandy: #56, 4.24 yds/carry (#76 vs pwr5)

axegt

Georgia Tech Fan
Miss st d was every bit as good as vandys in 2014. Miami in 08. Uga in 08. Both every bit as good as vandys today....i am sure there are more. This is off the top of my head. You guys are acting like vandy has a top 10 D. They are not; they are a top 30 d at best this year imo look at ppd or yards a play

Miss St 14 had talent, but their interim DC had no idea what he was doing in that game. Miami 08 was young and limited and they had no clue what they were doing that night. UGA had lots of talent but again, I think in hindsight we can see that they had a horrible plan that day. We have never seen performances again like we saw in 08 against solid teams that just had no clue what they were doing. Just like BC defense, this unit has put up great performances even though they've played with an offense that is a 3 and out machine. What do you not like about this Vandy LB crew. Like I said before, Cunningham and Burks are as good as we've faced.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Miss St 14 had talent, but their interim DC had no idea what he was doing in that game. Miami 08 was young and limited and they had no clue what they were doing that night. UGA had lots of talent but again, I think in hindsight we can see that they had a horrible plan that day. We have never seen performances again like we saw in 08 against solid teams that just had no clue what they were doing. Just like BC defense, this unit has put up great performances even though they've played with an offense that is a 3 and out machine. What do you not like about this Vandy LB crew. Like I said before, Cunningham and Burks are as good as we've faced.

Blah blah blah. Gt rolls.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Last year, versus FBS competition:
BC: #4, 4.46 yards/play (#8 vs pwr 5, 4.03)
Vandy: #44, 5.40 yds/play (#22 vs pwr5, 4.97)
BC: #2, 2.67 yds/carry (#4 vs pwr5)
Vandy: #56, 4.24 yds/carry (#76 vs pwr5)

Like i said. At best top 30. Probably top 50.