UVA vs. Navy

GT1973

Georgia Tech Fan
My guess is that Navy let their kicker try that late FG today to remove the stigma of his missing the last second potentially winning FG attempt vs. Army. Unfortunately, he missed again today.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
This is a really cool article that discusses just that topic. It was written by football math geek John Urschel (whose is a super interesting guy...read about him if you have the time). Caveat: He uses only the SEC West over an 8 year span for his data set.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/math-meets-football-the-transitive-property-is-real/

That's fun, but it just makes the basic point more complicated. You absolutely can make predictions about how one team will perform against another based on how each performed against similar or common opposition. And you can do it pretty well. Especially with large data sets. But there's still a large degree of variability in individual results, and my point is with a small number of comparisons that variability can easily spoil the transitive property.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Madison
BFF - not big on Internet slang.
Found it on google.

This is a joke don't do it!!!!

If BFF is still here after the first real game, you could call in to coach show and ask " Since we all know Sewak has been your long time BFF , could you share your nicknames with the fans? " . Be sure to hang up.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised that few are even stating the obvious.This is EMBARRASSING.Now PJ has to look to his pupil and learn how to beat uva? It tells one that the great secret that Bronco has on how to beat PJ's offense is BS! Johnson just has got to get off his a-- and get his team prepared.
Before I was forgiving but this says A LOT about PJs program situation to me. We know he can't beat uga and clem but if he can't train nor motivate (and pray for no rain) his team to beat the uvas of the world ,woe is us.

I honestly can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not? There is some legit criticism here, but the “sky is falling” attitude is ridiculous. Tech scored 36 against UVA, Navy 49. Both are pretty good (though Navy certainly did better). UVA’s defense averaged giving up 26 pts per game, so both teams scored a good but more against UVA than other offenses.

On the other hand, Tech’s D gave up 40 points, while Navy’s gave up 7. If you want to point to a difference between the teams against UVA, that is it. And if you want to blame CPJ for that, fine. But also acknowledge he is taking steps to try to fix that.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know many of you think this result says a great deal about our "coaching", but what it says to me, and I already knew it anyway, is that our talent level is barely, if at all, on par with the academies. That is a sad state of affairs, but I think it is what it is.

I don't believe we will ever fully bring in the talent we need on D without having a more "national" strategy, looking for LBs and DT's and DE's that are interested in a warmer environment and a top notch STEM degree.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I honestly can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not? There is some legit criticism here, but the “sky is falling” attitude is ridiculous. Tech scored 36 against UVA, Navy 49. Both are pretty good (though Navy certainly did better). UVA’s defense averaged giving up 26 pts per game, so both teams scored a good but more against UVA than other offenses.

On the other hand, Tech’s D gave up 40 points, while Navy’s gave up 7. If you want to point to a difference between the teams against UVA, that is it. And if you want to blame CPJ for that, fine. But also acknowledge he is taking steps to try to fix that.

lmao. People are trying so hard to forget how the UVA game actually went.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know many of you think this result says a great deal about our "coaching", but what it says to me, and I already knew it anyway, is that our talent level is barely, if at all, on par with the academies. That is a sad state of affairs, but I think it is what it is.

I don't believe we will ever fully bring in the talent we need on D without having a more "national" strategy, looking for LBs and DT's and DE's that are interested in a warmer environment and a top notch STEM degree.
We seem to be fine at recruiting 4 star db’s. I wonder if this is more a function of supply and demand rather than stellar recruiting.

The highest class GHSA state champs could make a bowl game.

That is no accomplishment for a program with any sort of leadership and goals.

This bowl is a pathetic game between a team playing on their home field running a boring O vs another team that has never won a single thing in their football history.

We have such low goals and standards

It didn't use to be this way. We ran off Gailey for mediocrity. Now it's OK under CPJ. Another hallmark of the CPJ Era.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We seem to be fine at recruiting 4 star db’s. I wonder if this is more a function of supply and demand rather than stellar recruiting.

DCS = I believe you are probably on to something about the DB's.

To find the big nasties, we must start looking in the West, the Midwest, the NE, and the utter most parts of the country, in my opinion.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game and here's my hot take.

Navy's plan was very straightforward and Navy-esque. Throwing was never part of the plan. The two plays they wanted to run were the QB sweep and a Zone dive to the A-Gap with a cutback lane across the NT (UVA is an odd-front team) as their perimeter play and their interior play. They used the Double Flex to get their WRs in for blocking. To vary the perimeter play they messed with the count by motioning the other A-Back over as an additional lead blocker or running a double option. To vary the interior play they ran midline. They rarely called other plays. One key to Navy's success was calling the play at the line of scrimmage since they weren't running many plays. It was like watching Rock-Paper-Scissors with the two coordinators signalling in the calls at the LoS.

UVAs offense was garbage. The only pass they could complete was a short pass: hitch, flare, or out/comeback. Almost everything else was dropped or horribly thrown. I wept during UVAs 2-minute because Navy was running some zone pressure instead of prevent. The difference was that while UVA displayed the same incompetence in our game, on the other plays the defense was very good, solid tackling after the ball was thrown. Navy substituted their entire DLine throughout the game to keep them fresh, I mean all 4 at once.

The game hinged on the quick turn of events at the end of the first half where Navy built their lead. UVA stopped them on their first drive of the second half, but the turnover on the punt was the dagger. UVA knew they lost and it was evident in their change in effort. Watch the last Navy TD I think, the UVA backers just kinda stand there and let Navy's backs come up and block them while the QB blows by. Game was over.

Paul Johnson isn't as keen on running his QB like that at GT these days. After all, Perry got hurt and knocked out of the game. Looked like a serious lower leg injury, they took off all his tape and strapped a brace on his whole shin and took him off the field. If you think we don't throw to our guys enough, this game plan was like "1-2 throws" cuz Perry is even more of an A-back playing QB than Marshall.

Great defensive play against a lousy offense and taking advantage of every turnover. The cold turned the kicking games into garbage for both teams. Navy stuck to their plan on offense and eventually UVA had no interest in defending student body right again.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
UVA muffed a punt, effectively blocked their own punt by kneeling to pick up a bad snap, fumbled a hand off, missed a field goal, turned it over on downs, and threw two hideous passes that missed open receivers for TDs.

They were hot garbage today, except it was ****ing freezing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
UVA muffed a punt, effectively blocked their own punt by kneeling to pick up a bad snap, fumbled a hand off, missed a field goal, turned it over on downs, and threw two hideous passes that missed open receivers for TDs.

They were hot garbage today.
So maybe this game is not as big of an indictment on us as previously thought?