UVA vs. Navy

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the arguments that GT's spread option is boring. High school teams that run the tight formation wing-t are boring. They try to get 4 yards every play for the whole game. I watched an entire game where a high school offense didn't make more than 7-8 yards on any play. They ran 13-20 play drives of 3-4 yards per play constantly. It was incredibly boring. That isn't GT's offense. GT gets 20-30-40-50 yard plays on QB keeps, pitches, passes, and even on BBack up the middle plays. Come up with almost any objective definition of exciting offense based on production and big plays and GT's offense meets it.
Maryville High School here in Tennessee has won State Championships 14 of the last 17 seasons running the T formation;)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Who in the ACC was good during the 90s? I think it was only FSU. GT had a couple of good years. UNC had a couple of good years. NC State had a couple of good years. Everyone else was mediocre at best. Duke, WF, and Maryland were sub 500 teams except for a year or two. In 2016, the Coastal had 5 teams with 8 or more wins. I think the Coastal is deeper now than the entire ACC was before 2000.

Milwaukee

Banned
Who in the ACC was good during the 90s? I think it was only FSU. GT had a couple of good years. UNC had a couple of good years. NC State had a couple of good years. Everyone else was mediocre at best. Duke, WF, and Maryland were sub 500 teams except for a year or two. In 2016, the Coastal had 5 teams with 8 or more wins. I think the Coastal is deeper now than the entire ACC was before 2000.

I was referring to the Gailey years. You're probably right about the 90s.

I don't understand the arguments that GT's spread option is boring. High school teams that run the tight formation wing-t are boring. They try to get 4 yards every play for the whole game. I watched an entire game where a high school offense didn't make more than 7-8 yards on any play. They ran 13-20 play drives of 3-4 yards per play constantly. It was incredibly boring. That isn't GT's offense. GT gets 20-30-40-50 yard plays on QB keeps, pitches, passes, and even on BBack up the middle plays. Come up with almost any objective definition of exciting offense based on production and big plays and GT's offense meets it.

Too many QB Keepers and not nearly enough passing = Boring to me. BBack up the middle is boring. Comparing us to a high-school offense is interesting though.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Clemson was good in 1990-1991,NCSU had good teams from 1990-1994 and Virginia had good teams throughout the 1990s.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
VT was considered a national power and those Carolina teams were absolutely loaded under Butch.
VT was the dominant team in the Coastal. However UNC:
2002 3-9
2003 2-10
2004 6-6
2005 5-6
2006 3-9
2007 4-8

They didn't even have a winning season while Gailey was at GT. Butch Davis wasn't the coach until 2007, so his years were in the CPJ years not Gailey's.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think it is easy to fall into the hype that the Coastal is very weak since there hasn't been a national title contender in the last few years. However there aren't any patsies in the Coastal either. Every year one or two teams have a bad year(UNC 2017, GT 2015). But even in 2015, GT lost several games by one play. There haven't been any teams like the 90s era Duke teams in the Coastal for a while.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think it is easy to fall into the hype that the Coastal is very weak since there hasn't been a national title contender in the last few years. However there aren't any patsies in the Coastal either. Every year one or two teams have a bad year(UNC 2017, GT 2015). But even in 2015, GT lost several games by one play. There haven't been any teams like the 90s era Duke teams in the Coastal for a while.
UNC is falling back to the level of suckitude they had when Butch Davis was coaching them;)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Too many QB Keepers and not nearly enough passing = Boring to me. BBack up the middle is boring. Comparing us to a high-school offense is interesting though.
Were you bored in 2014? When we have the right players in the right spots, it's far from boring and far from monotonous.

We need a consistent inside run game, however, to kickstart the rest of the O. It doesn't have to be just dive plays either, we have a plethora of plays that run between the tackles. We have to force the defense to use more assets to stop the inside run to free up the edge and pass.

That is why it is critical to have the QB, Bback and G,C,G battery top notch. We did not have that last year. Just one piece of that battery below par screws up the entire offense making everything else all that much harder to run. When the QB is the missing piece, it really screws up the O.

Milwaukee

Banned

The coastal is very weak though. More balanced yes, but not very strong.

Were you bored in 2014? When we have the right players in the right spots, it's far from boring and far from monotonous.

We need a consistent inside run game, however, to kickstart the rest of the O. It doesn't have to be just dive plays either, we have a plethora of plays that run between the tackles. We have to force the defense to use more assets to stop the inside run to free up the edge and pass.

That is why it is critical to have the QB, Bback and G,C,G battery top notch. We did not have that last year. Just one piece of that battery below par screws up the entire offense making everything else all that much harder to run. When the QB is the missing piece, it really screws up the O.

We didn't run 400 QB Keepers in 2014, Cheese. We had nice pass routes to the Darrens too - not just post-pattern bombs. Which then set up the various run plays you described.

The 2017 offense was boring AF. It was mostly TQ pretending to option but keeping it. Over and over. The 2nd half of the mutt game was dismal. Why CPJ kept calling the same play over and over was bizarre.

right now, 2014 looks like a statistical outlier. An anomaly.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The coastal is very weak though. More balanced yes, but not very strong.

So how was the Atlantic? The Coastal was 7-9 against the Atlantic in regular season. The Atlantic had Clemson, and then a large drop off. The Coastal had Miami, and then a large drop off. I would say that in the last five years, Clemson and FSU have been strong, but not unbeatable. The rest of the conference has been a play or two away from winning/losing most games. The margins are much thinner all the way up and down FBS football than the pundits would like us to believe.