UVA vs. Navy

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Just an FYI:

Washington State ran 709 offensive plays. 303 were rushing plays. Passing plays were 61.65% of plays.
Oklahoma ran 898 offensive plays. 501 were rushing plays. Passing plays were 44.21% of plays.
West Virginia ran 941 offensive plays. 460 were rushing plays. Passing plays were 51.12% of plays.

While Leach has leaned towards passing the heaviest, all those teams run Air Raid heavy passing attacks. Oklahoma's offense if probably the most rooted in modern rushing concepts while utilizing Air Raid passing concepts. Lincoln Riley has probably surpassed Mike Leach in terms of putting together a complete offense, but his bones are in Air Raid. Oklahoma is is in the playoffs, and Riley was promoted to HC because of his offensive acumen.

Air Raid passing concepts has probably been one of the most influential offensive concepts in the last decade on every level of football. From HS to the NFL.

I'm like dude they're using Air Raid concepts in the NFL. Tom Brady damn near ran the exact offense last year. Yes Texas A&M have added the read option (thanks to Johnny Manzel) but it's still based on the air raid.

Still hasn't answered why no other P5 team runs the spread option.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Interesting discussion to have:

CPJ has gone to 3 ACCCGs, won 1. CPJ has taken us to 2 OBs, won 1. He's also had 3 losing seasons in 10 years.
Chan Gailey took GT to 1 ACCCG, but none of the major bowls. Went to a bowl game all 6 years of his time at GT. No losing seasons.

Naysayers for CPJ can say one of the ACCCGs and OB is due to Gailey's players, and one of the ACCCGs was due to Miami and UNC having to self ban themselves ahead of getting smacked by the NCAA. He was also given 10 years here versus Chan's 6 years.

Naysayers for Chan can say he never beat UGA, never won an ACC title despite having one of the most talented GT rosters in 2006 (seriously, look at the guys that would go on to the NFL from that team). Chan also had to clean up some of O'Leary's mess with the NCAA, developed talent that was rated subpar by today's standards, and got fired just as he started to "figure out" recruiting. When he "figured it out", they fired him and CPJ was the beneficiary of a talented roster.

Bottom line. No coach ever has it easy at GT.

CPJ Beating uga 3 times (and breaking the streak) vs. CCG with zero wins is huge to me

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. The Coastal was much much much stronger than it has been recently.

The conference as a whole was a defenesive conference full of pro style running attacks and west coast passing. The recruiting was even less across the board on offense as well.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is the elephant in the room. PJ has beaten UGA 3 of 10 times and people love him for it. I just wish more people would come out and say it.

It probably is the main one. With how UGA is structured now I'm glad to see Todd & CPJ taken the reigns cause things could get ugly.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I never used gimmick as an insult. You took it that way, also Chan had successful offenses to but he was fired. This is College Football what you did means nothing, Les Miles won national championship and was fired. If we continue to settle for mediocrity because he beat Georgia a couple of times then Tech will continue to miss bowl games. It is what it is, the offense doesn’t sell seats and recently hasn’t won ball games. It’s a gimmick offense that makes it almost impossible to recruit. I Gurantee you Chan would’ve had just as much success with Nesbitt, Dwyer and DT. The 2007 Class might’ve saved Chan’s job if GT let it. I really don’t get what your little logic rant was about either, completely off topic telling me I don’t use logic because you finally agreed with my point that we run a gimmick offense.
I don't think you're communicating honestly in your defense of your gimmick comment. Exhibit A: You couldn't help using it in a derogatory way in this very post where you're saying you weren't using it that way. "It's a gimmick offense that makes it almost impossible to recruit." This is called a self-contradiction, which ironically validates my logic rant with renewed vigor.
Here's more help on the logic end: Do other teams run gimmick offenses? Explain your answer using the definition you suggested looking up.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't think it logically follows that since no other P5 team runs the spread option, then we shouldn't either or that it somehow means it can't be successful. In fact, the latter conclusion has already been disproven. It's a non sequitur.
Also, the fact that the academies use it to great success (in beating P5 teams who run "NCAA" offenses) is a piece of evidence in the positive column, not negative.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I'm like dude they're using Air Raid concepts in the NFL. Tom Brady damn near ran the exact offense last year. Yes Texas A&M have added the read option (thanks to Johnny Manzel) but it's still based on the air raid.

You're missing the point. There are tons of p5 teams who run option concepts. Rich rod runs the spread option out of the gun. Just because no one runs the option exactly how we do doesn't mean jack. Washington State runs a different air raid attack than oklahoma. Oklahoma runs a different style than TCU. Auburn runs a different style of spread option than Arizona does. We just run the option from under center there are a lot of the same principles in our offense that you would see in Arizona's. Makes more sense?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
You're missing the point. There are tons of p5 teams who run option concepts. Rich rod runs the spread option out of the gun. Just because no one runs the option exactly how we do doesn't mean jack. Washington State runs a different air raid attack than oklahoma. Oklahoma runs a different style than TCU. Auburn runs a different style of spread option than Arizona does. We just run the option from under center there are a lot of the same principles in our offense that you would see in Arizona's. Makes more sense?
I loved the run and shoot offense;)

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
What are the UVA boards like after that @ilovetheoption
Whoooooo it's not pretty.

It really left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

I'm of the opinion that we have to give Mendenhall two more years, and I can't stand the guy, but there's a lot of people who are ready to turn the page now.

The issue is that he hasn't recruited at all, and all of his leaders on defense were Mike London guys who are graduating and there's a real fear that the defense is about to step off a cliff.

He's got a fanatical focus on strength and conditioning and is recruiting a bunch of run through the wall types, so maybe he can get it done on individual player development, but it's far from guaranteed.

He brought his entire staff from BYU with no connections in the area and people are salty about it.

This year we're bringing in as many kids from Hawaii as we are from Virginia (3 each).

That's not sustainable.

Nobody really has any idea how Broncos going to succeed. I think he's a solid X's and O's guy on defense, but he doesn't run a radically unique system like Johnson where he recruits different than anybody else, so if he's looking for the same guys as everybody else, and just not getting them, it's a problem.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

I'm of the opinion that we have to give Mendenhall two more years, and I can't stand the guy, but there's a lot of people who are ready to turn the page now.

The issue is that he hasn't recruited at all, and all of his leaders on defense were Mike London guys who are graduating and there's a real fear that the defense is about to step off a cliff.

He's got a fanatical focus on strength and conditioning and is recruiting a bunch of run through the wall types, so maybe he can get it done on individual player development, but it's far from guaranteed.

He brought his entire staff from BYU with no connections in the area and people are salty about it.

This year we're bringing in as many kids from Hawaii as we are from Virginia (3 each).

That's not sustainable.

Nobody really has any idea how Broncos going to succeed. I think he's a solid X's and O's guy on defense, but he doesn't run a radically unique system like Johnson where he recruits different than anybody else, so if he's looking for the same guys as everybody else, and just not getting them, it's a problem.
Do you think Bronco will be canned if UVa wins 4-5 games in 2019?;) I don't see how they can't make a change if that happens and Mike Houston of James Madison or Scott Satterfield of App State would be strong replacements;)

Eli

Helluva Engineer

That's not sustainable.

But pro style and traditional spread offenses attract 4 and 5 stars...