UVA vs. Navy

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We didn't run 400 QB Keepers in 2014, Cheese. We had nice pass routes to the Darrens too - not just post-pattern bombs. Which then set up the various run plays you described.

The 2017 offense was boring AF. It was mostly TQ pretending to option but keeping it. Over and over. The 2nd half of the mutt game was dismal. Why CPJ kept calling the same play over and over was bizarre.

right now, 2014 looks like a statistical outlier. An anomaly.
That's my point, thanks. 2014 is the model not the outlier. Or should I say one of the models. It's not the only version of the O that works. Look at 2009. We were set to duplicate that particular model till MJ got hurt and Mills got bounced. The 2011 model with Tevin is another. Imagine if Tevin had TQ's quicks and speed....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some common misperceptions among our own fanbase I think.

Most of us who love CPJ’s system love it for what it is and does. When things are clicking it runs at elite levels. Elite. And if you argue that you are blindly ignoring facts. That doesn’t mean it will always click. But even when it doesn’t, at its worst, it is serviceable.

And this is with, face it folks, less available overall talent than what is available to our top competition. Less depth of talent too. We haven’t signed a Dashon Watson recently....or ever.

That doesn’t mean only CPJs offense can work here. It just means his offense does without doubt work here. But Fridge’s O also worked. Bring in a brilliant OC, who knows how to run his offense with our talent, and that offense will succeed.

Finding these gurus and reeling them in at Tech is not an easy task. We have one currently and I’m damn glad for it.

Also the notion of attracting sidewalk fans. No offense ever devised can do this for Tech. Barring a run like Alabama has been on....you are either born in, married in, or matriculate into.

Milwaukee

Banned
Clemson has been unbeatable for 3 years. They laid maybe 3 eggs over the past 3 years, that's amazing. The Coastal having Miami as it's power speaks to the point. They're really bad and skated right through it. I firmly believe we are better than Miami right now and we're not very good.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has been unbeatable for 3 years. They laid maybe 3 eggs over the past 3 years, that's amazing. The Coastal having Miami as it's power speaks to the point. They're really bad and skated right through it. I firmly believe we are better than Miami right now and we're not very good.
The Coastal was down in 2016, that much is sure. It's been strong before and has the potential to be strong again.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Barring a run like Alabama has been on....you are either born in, married in, or matriculate into.

Which brings up another point. Alabama has to be one of the most boring teams in existence. Their offensive philosophy is "don't screw things up". They rely on their defense to win games and play for the most part a very conservative offense.(Much more conservative than GT)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. The Coastal has national potential, it's all cyclical. It'll be back.
img_5998.jpg

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So how was the Atlantic? The Coastal was 7-9 against the Atlantic in regular season. The Atlantic had Clemson, and then a large drop off. The Coastal had Miami, and then a large drop off. I would say that in the last five years, Clemson and FSU have been strong, but not unbeatable. The rest of the conference has been a play or two away from winning/losing most games. The margins are much thinner all the way up and down FBS football than the pundits would like us to believe.

To play devil’s advocate Miami has an elite win loss record but IMO notbsn elite team. I wouldn’t describe the coastal as weak at all but I will acknowledge it has and continues to lack an elite team. In 2009 we were close to that level but not quite there. 14 was arguably elite. But we haven’t managed to sustain those levels and no one in our division has stepped up when we have been down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To play devil’s advocate Miami has an elite win loss record but IMO notbsn elite team. I wouldn’t describe the coastal as weak at all but I will acknowledge it has and continues to lack an elite team. In 2009 we were close to that level but not quite there. 14 was arguably elite. But we haven’t managed to sustain those levels and no one in our division has stepped up when we have been down.
The recipe for our success is possible to achieve occasionally, but not consistently, I'm afraid. And you need each ingredient or the soup is just not right.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Some common misperceptions among our own fanbase I think.

Most of us who love CPJ’s system love it for what it is and does. When things are clicking it runs at elite levels. Elite. And if you argue that you are blindly ignoring facts. That doesn’t mean it will always click. But even when it doesn’t, at its worst, it is serviceable.

And this is with, face it folks, less available overall talent than what is available to our top competition. Less depth of talent too. We haven’t signed a Dashon Watson recently....or ever.

That doesn’t mean only CPJs offense can work here. It just means his offense does without doubt work here. But Fridge’s O also worked. Bring in a brilliant OC, who knows how to run his offense with our talent, and that offense will succeed.

Finding these gurus and reeling them in at Tech is not an easy task. We have one currently and I’m damn glad for it.

Also the notion of attracting sidewalk fans. No offense ever devised can do this for Tech. Barring a run like Alabama has been on....you are either born in, married in, or matriculate into.

None of the above apply to me. Is it okay I've been a die hard fan for over 50 year?????? :D

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

VT and GT were down this season, plus UNC sucked, we left the door wide open for UM. They will forever have elite talent but should always be beatable due to the inherent flaws in practically all Richt coached teams- soft and undisciplined.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Donnie Davis. Top ranked Dual Threat QB in his class, #2 Overall QB (1991).
Quincy Carter (though he opted to play pro baseball after signing with GT). Top ranked dual threat QB in GA, top 5 in the nation that year (1996).
Joe Hamilton. #5 Ranked dual threat QB (1996).
Demarius Bilbo. Number #5 Pro QB in his class (2001).

To a lesser extent:

Josh Nesbitt. Top 10 dual threat QB (2007).
Steven Threet. #9 QB in his class (2007).
Sean Renfree was committed to sign to GT before CPJ came. He was the #9 Pro QB that year.

GT has had some pretty highly sought after QBs sign (or planning to sign) with us before.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Quincy Carter (though he opted to play pro baseball after signing with GT). Top ranked dual threat QB in GA, top 5 in the nation that year (1996).

To a lesser extent:

Sean Renfree was committed to sign to GT before CPJ came. He was the #9 Pro QB that year.

GT has had some pretty highly sought after QBs sign (or planning to sign) with us before.

So Donnie Davis was most comparable to DashaunnWatson. Clemson signs these guys every year. So do the mutts.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So Donnie Davis was most comparable to DashaunnWatson. Clemson signs these guys every year. So do the mutts.

Yup.

My point is, those types of QBs (top 10 ranked) do come to GT....just not in the last 10 years. I'm sure you can figure out what happened the last 10 years.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

To a lesser extent:

Too bad GT couldn't have signed Heath Shuler in 1991(Lost to Donnie Davis in the 1990 North Carolina High School Championship Game) he would be today ranked a dual option quarterback with how well he ran the football. He ran for 100 plus yards against UGAG during the 1992 Tennessee-UGAG game that UT won 34-31.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

To a lesser extent:

Some of these guys came around before I started following recruiting and, searching for some historical rankings, apparently before that recruiting ranking industry developed into what it is today. I found it especially hard to find info on Donnie Davis, Quincy Carter, and Joe Hamilton. Notably, those guys also came around before flunkgate and APR. (That said, those guys may all have come regardless - I am just pointing out that some things have changed since we recruited them.)

Of the other guys you mentioned, here is what I found from ESPN's archives (some of these differ pretty significantly from some of your notes. That could just be different recruiting systems, but I just chose the first one that popped up on Google and, if anything, the fact that different systems rate guys so differently says something about the accuracy of the rating systems IMHO):
Demarius Bilbo - #25 QB (LINK)
Josh Nesbitt - #37 QB (LINK)
Steven Threet - # 64 QB (LINK)
Sean Renfree - #43 QB (LINK)

For comparison, I also took a look at some of CPJ's better QB commits. Seems most of them are rated by ESPN as "athletes" instead of QBs, but they are ranked very much in the same ballpark at their position (better actually) than the Gaily QBs.
Vad Lee - #16 athlete (LINK)
Justin Thomas - # 18 athlete (LINK)
Jaylend Ratliffe - # 37 athlete (LINK)
Jay Jones - # 48 athlete (LINK)
James Graham - #30 athlete (LINK)

Given what we are looking for out of a QB in CPJ's system, it looks like our recruiting is right on par with the recent guys you mentioned.