UVA Postgame

Animal02

Banned
I don't like fielding punts inside the ten either. The run back attempt was OK with me. BUT: I believe the dropped pass was the sun in his eyes. I was at the game and did not notice the sun and did not think it was an issue. My daughter was watching on TV and she said several players were shielding their eyes due to the sun. To make her point we rewatched the first half on tape. She was right in that several players were squinting and shielding their eyes due to the sun coming from the South. I'll give Stewart a pass on the dropped pass due to the sun in his eyes. I hope he is OK.
Going back 35 years.....our coaches slows told the punt returners to plant their feet one the ten yard line and do not back up. Odds are better for a touchback at that point. I would say the same thing now about kick off returns.....plant your feet at the five and let everything else go for the touchback.....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Where I was sitting in the first rows of the upper north, it was easy to balls getting pushed all over the place by the wind, especially the kicks. That early FG miss by UVA got pushed 4 feet east and outside the goal post by the wind.

We need to thank the wind. I think it contributed a lot to the two interceptions we got in the important part of the second half. The first one just went way high and to Austin, who was giving a big cushion. I think it was the ball sailing as opposed to a bad route.

I agree the wind also may have messed with UVa FG kicker's head who cannot be confident given his poor performance all season.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The first half was scaring me to death. Losing to a two win team on Senior Day. Last home game for the seniors, last home game of the year. 9 win year not possible. What a rotten thing to have to remember. I have seen many teams start out in a lifeless funk and play the whole game that way. At least we changed it up completely at half time. Even if everything didn't go perfectly in the second half, I could see from the body language on both sides of the ball that we would at least play like we meant it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Going back 35 years.....our coaches slows told the punt returners to plant their feet one the ten yard line and do not back up. Odds are better for a touchback at that point. I would say the same thing now about kick off returns.....plant your feet at the five and let everything else go for the touchback.....

Kickoffs are a bit different. They aren't downed when touched by the covering team, they are recovered for possession. You have to field them unless they are already in the end zone.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The first half was scaring me to death. Losing to a two win team on Senior Day. Last home game for the seniors, last home game of the year. 9 win year not possible. What a rotten thing to have to remember. I have seen many teams start out in a lifeless funk and play the whole game that way. At least we changed it up completely at half time. Even if everything didn't go perfectly in the second half, I could see from the body language on both sides of the ball that we would at least play like we meant it.
We started throwing the ball when it was apparent the usual thing wasn't working. Then when we had 'em guessing, the run started working. Credit the coaches for that.

Rule #1 is take what the defense gives. Sometimes coach wants to prove a point a little too long. I'm just glad he switched before it was too late.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Sun was over my left shoulder in the west stands. It could have played a part. This was not a direct look into the sun, but the sun in the corner of your vision or in the field of your vision. The sun would have been more direct if the play was on the other side of the field.

The wind did bend the ball at the last moment and Brad may not have adjust. It is hard to adjust backwards.

On the play I originally thought he was more concerned about running than watch the ball all the way in.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Sun was over my left shoulder in the west stands. It could have played a part. This was not a direct look into the sun, but the sun in the corner of your vision or in the field of your vision. The sun would have been more direct if the play was on the other side of the field.

The wind did bend the ball at the last moment and Brad may not have adjust. It is hard to adjust backwards.

On the play I originally thought he was more concerned about running than watch the ball all the way in.
Huh? I have been on this planet for over half a century and during that time the sun has always passed from east to west through the south. If you are sitting in the west stands and the sun is over your left shoulder it would be to the north (unless you had your back to the field). I suspect you meant your other left (or the other west). Sorry, I just had to do the Marine DI thing.

Take it from a guy who has played a lot of outfield in his life, having the sun somewhere in your field of view really isn't that much of a factor. Having it directly behind what you are trying to catch (or close to it) is a huge factor. I think your original instincts are closer to the truth.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ya I should have said right...

I do think we are in agreement that the issue was most likely adjustment to the ball and not looking the ball all the way in...

This was very un-Brad like... I sure hope he is back for the next game.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just rewatched, they have a shot of his face.

He just misjudge the ball's trajectory... Plain and simple. Eyes shaded in helmet. Hands ready for ball. Looks the ball all the way till it hit his face mask.

Jmonty71

Banned
Observations from the UVA game. Since I know more about defenses, let me make some notes. We'll start with the good and end with the ugly.

DBs - Overall not bad. There were cases where it looked like one person thought they were in a zone and broke man to man coverage. The tackling was ok. Not great, but ok. The INT was an easy play. UVA's QB panicked.

DL - The DL got pushed around a good bit. They didn't do very great with gap control and they failed to get off a lot of blocks. But, they did enough to case to low yardage plays to put UVA in 2nd and long / 3rd and long

LBs - Yeah.... PJ Davis, the only bright spot. Most of the time the LB's were not responsive. They were out of place. They had little to no ball recognition. Poor tackling, poor zone assignments.

Roof definitely needs to teach movement in open space and what to do. He needs to teach the kids to get off blocks. Also, please for the love of god.....teach the DBs how to bump and run. We get picked apart with too many easy passes. Make it hard for the QB, not easy.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Observations from the UVA game. Since I know more about defenses, let me make some notes. We'll start with the good and end with the ugly.

DBs - Overall not bad. There were cases where it looked like one person thought they were in a zone and broke man to man coverage. The tackling was ok. Not great, but ok. The INT was an easy play. UVA's QB panicked.

DL - The DL got pushed around a good bit. They didn't do very great with gap control and they failed to get off a lot of blocks. But, they did enough to case to low yardage plays to put UVA in 2nd and long / 3rd and long

LBs - Yeah.... PJ Davis, the only bright spot. Most of the time the LB's were not responsive. They were out of place. They had little to no ball recognition. Poor tackling, poor zone assignments.

Roof definitely needs to teach movement in open space and what to do. He needs to teach the kids to get off blocks. Also, please for the love of god.....teach the DBs how to bump and run. We get picked apart with too many easy passes. Make it hard for the QB, not easy.

So PJ Davis was the only bright spot and yet Brant Mitchell was ACC Player of the Week? C'mon man don't dump on the players like that! Career high in tackles, INT and PJ was the ONLY bright spot???? SMDH

Jmonty71

Banned
So PJ Davis was the only bright spot and yet Brant Mitchell was ACC Player of the Week? C'mon man don't dump on the players like that! Career high in tackles, INT and PJ was the ONLY bright spot???? SMDH
I saw the game. I saw Mitchell.. Sorry dude.. Mitchell got owned most of the game. His tackling is not the best. I wasn't dumping on him specifically. But, if you break the game down and watch just him. Just see how many plays he get overly tied up with blocks. His indecision in the open field. Not saying it's his fault. It is possible that how to act and what to do in the open zone are, just isn't taught. I think PJ is a much better overall LB. Given, we need serious help in that area. I think it's the weakest area on the defense. To be quite honest. With the scheme Roof plays, we have to have fast, sure tackling LBs.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I saw the game. I saw Mitchell.. Sorry dude.. Mitchell got owned most of the game. His tackling is not the best. I wasn't dumping on him specifically. But, if you break the game down and watch just him. Just see how many plays he get overly tied up with blocks. His indecision in the open field. Not saying it's his fault. It is possible that how to act and what to do in the open zone are, just isn't taught. I think PJ is a much better overall LB. Given, we need serious help in that area. I think it's the weakest area on the defense. To be quite honest. With the scheme Roof plays, we have to have fast, sure tackling LBs.

Whatever dude, I watched and broke it down as well. He did not have a great first half but was smoking in the second half. But I'm sure you know best. And, of course Lance Austin was invisible, right.

Jmonty71

Banned
Whatever dude, I watched and broke it down as well. He did not have a great first half but was smoking in the second half. But I'm sure you know best. And, of course Lance Austin was invisible, right.
I gave the DB's a decent rating, to be honest. I think the DBs are the strength of the defense. He did get owned in the first half. Which is what I was pointing out. It takes 2 halves for a complete game. I give Austin credit. However; it was a poor pass on the QB's part. Right place, right time.. Still took hands to catch and the skill to run back for a TD.