UVA - End of Regular Season

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
...and a leadoff walk by Gasoline Ryan comes around to score, 10-9 UVa in the top of the ninth.

#JacketsPitchingNeverChanges

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You gotta admit, this game is a fitting end to this particular baseball season. Let the winning run on base with a leadoff walk, allow that to come around and score (wouldn't have sniffed a run without the walk).

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We were lucky to only lose by one. I hope we get back to Gorst level of relieving.
But as you know close only counts in "horseshoes and hand-grenades."
It was good to see they fought back and didn't throw in the towel.

6 years under .500 in ACC means it is past time for the AD to start taking action for a turn around.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yet, Hall has won 2 ACC championships during those 6 years.

Very true. We were fortunate we got MD last time. But it's true we won the ACC tourney twice (never regular season champion obviously).
  • But the "good" thing is that anyone can win the ACC tourney under the new format since it is basically single elimination and EVERY team has a bad day once in a while.
  • L'Ville is clearly dominant but they have lost 9 times this year including 6 in the ACC. L'Ville is even better at home but they have lost 4 at home with 29 home wins.
  • So anything can happen in the ACC tourney. I bet if we play UVa again and they give us 6 unearned runs again that we will win. You just never know. (Side note: baseball people doing stats are real good at averages but never talk about variances. The variances are massive since there is usually so small a sample size. But no reason to ruin a good story.)
Looking at the "whole body of work" which does have a larger sample size:
  • ACC 78-101 in last six years regular season - 44% winning.
  • NCAAs 6-8 (43%) in 4 appearances (2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016). We aren't going this year unless we win the ACC tourney.
All said, I would absolutely love it if we win the ACC tourney and get to kibitz about the NCAAs. But there is as much chance of that happening as me winning the lottery given I don't buy tickets.