UVA - End of Regular Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What would you think about a pool of: Wake Forest, Clemson, and Ga Tech?
The #3, #6, #10 pool could look that way IF (I think):
1) NCST sweeps Clemson by winning the final 2 in that series.
2) UVA beats us at least once.
3) We can finish 10th ahead of ND by: a) BC sweep of ND; OR b) GT wins one exactly and BC wins at least one. (Note: in this scenario if we sweep UVA... UVA would replace Clemson in this pool)

WF has to only win one more game to lock up the #3 seed.
If NCST sweeps Clemson, they will have finished on a 10 game ACC losing streak...they are at 8 conference losses in a row right now.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
3) We can finish 10th ahead of ND by: a) BC sweep of ND; OR b) GT wins one exactly and BC wins at least one. (Note: in this scenario if we sweep UVA... UVA would replace Clemson in this pool)

If NCST sweeps Clemson, they will have finished on a 10 game ACC losing streak...they are at 8 conference losses in a row right now.

Tell me how many walks, errors, hit batsmen, and wild pitches we have, and I'll tell you what I think. In truth, we are our own worst enemies...if we play well, we can stay with just about anyone....if we don't, we can lose to just about anyone.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck

Avoid UNC and Louisville? That pool looks like one of the more manageable options for sure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tell me how many walks, errors, hit batsmen, and wild pitches we have, and I'll tell you what I think. In truth, we are our own worst enemies...if we play well, we can stay with just about anyone....if we don't, we can lose to just about anyone.

I think this is true of most teams. Only two ACC teams (L'Ville and maybe UNC) can probably get away with a really bad night like UVa had and win. But we wont find out since they play good baseball in all three aspects (hitting, pitching and fielding) of the game.

We got away with 5 errors against Mercer since we bludgeoned them to death.

The error part of the game is what bugs me the most this year. If we don't make the errors (and turn double plays) like last year, I think we are 5th or 6th in the ACC right now. I'm used to sub par pitching from GT, not sub par fielding.

Deleted member 2897

If not Clemson, could be NC State along side Wake Forest. That's a dream round robin. Not because either of them would be easy, but in a 1 game series anything would be possible against those. You would always pick teams like those if you had the option versus the home team Louisville who already almost has 50 wins.

The other side of finishing the #10 is that we need to beat Notre Dame who owns the tie breaker against us. We are 1 game ahead of them in the #10 slot right now. So in the final 2 games of the year, we just have to match what they do. Of course, they're playing worthless Boston College and we're playing Virginia, but stranger things have happened.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Down 6-0 M 1st. I say leave Gibson in till he is over 100 pitches. A loss is a loss. His three walks didn't help. Neither did the error, so "only" 4 of the runs were earned.

Time to watch a Netflix series. And appreciate that we won a game yesterday. Maybe tomorrow.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Down 6-0 M 1st. I say leave Gibson in till he is over 100 pitches. A loss is a loss. His three walks didn't help. Neither did the error, so "only" 4 of the runs were earned.

Time to watch a Netflix series. And appreciate that we won a game yesterday. Maybe tomorrow.
I think I agree, but we are relieving Gibson now in the top of the second with one down and the bases loaded. Not a great start to the game, but I won't consider us out just yet. We have been scoring runs. Let's see what our relievers can do.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I would be embarrassed to get in a game if I was as bad a some of our pitchers. I was worse at pitching so I never tried out as a pitcher.
Thank goodness I did not drive down to see a game that was over before my side got to bat!

Deleted member 2897

So, the good news. WE ARE IN THE ACC TOURNEY.

Virginia Tech lost to Miami, and Pittsburgh beat Wake Forest. They both have 9 wins. So with 1 game left, they cannot get to 11.

We are currently in the #10 slot with 11 wins. We cannot finish any worse than #11, because the #11 and #12 (BC and ND) both have 10 wins and are playing each other tomorrow in the finale.

If we win tomorrow, we are the #10 seed and will be put in a round robin with someone like Wake Forest and NC State. That is HUGE to avoid Louisville and North Carolina.

If we lose tomorrow and ND beats BC, they have the head to head tiebreaker and we take #11.
If we lose tomorrow and BC beats ND, then both of us (who never played each other) have the same 7-17 record against common opponents. Not sure where it goes from there - total runs scored or something? So we could still finish #10 if BC wins tomorrow, but not sure.