UVA - End of Regular Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Forgive me for committing a little unwritten procedural faux pax by initiating this weekend series thread prior to the mid-week game. However, it seems right around the corner with the game on Thursday.

UVA is good. If they win tonight (v Richmond), they will finish undefeated in their "mid-week" schedule (14-0). Cannot say I have much knowledge on how difficult that schedule was; but seems impressive on its face.

UVA is motivated. In another post, I 'wishfully' thought maybe UVA coaching decisions would reflect a 'coast' mode. I was thinking too short-term (ACC Tournament implications). In truth, UVA with a strong finish and good results at the ACC Tournament could make a case to be a national seed for the NCAA Tourney. So... I would say they will come motivated and hungry to win all 3 games.

Personally, I like UVA... after Ga Tech, I want UVA to succeed way more than any other ACC team.

It costs nothing to dream big...so, I'll say it. If we manage to win 2 or more games it should propel us up to the 9th or 10th spot in the conference and in a more favorable pool for the ACC Tournament. GO YELLOW JACKETS!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20170517aaa.pdf

Going with the same starters/same sequence: Curry (Thurs); Gibson (Fri); Lee (Sat)

With an eye toward the ACC tournament which could start on Tuesday for Tech (6 of the 12 will play will play on Tuesday). I wonder if there was any thought to mixing the pitchers' sequencing? For planning purposes (best case), you would assume (and plan for) wins at the ACC tournament, right? You will play 2 games over the first 4 days of the tournament (Tues-Fri). Then Sat (semi-finals)... Sun championship. So...the guy who starts on Tues (or Wed) could be ready to come back on Saturday (semi-finals) of the tournament. I feel like the "hot hand" right now is clearly LEE. So... a few questions:

Lee pitched a complete game on Sunday. I think he could/should be available to pitch today (or tomorrow)...or is that too soon? Does waiting until Saturday (the current plan), make Lee unavailable for a Tuesday start in the tournament... Wed too? Seems like this weekend's rotation sets up to mean Lee will only be available to start only one time in the tournament. I'd try to work it for him to be able to go 2 times over that tournament week.

I suppose the counter-argument is to not mess with the order on the final weekend of the season. Just... keep things rolling this way AND worry about the tournament next week. Granted... we have not even CLINCHED a spot in the tournament at all, yet. Perhaps having Lee inline (worst case scenario) on Sat v UVA in a "win or season's over" scenario is the better idea.

Another example of why I would suck as a coach. I can identify the problem (or a subset of them, at least)... but actually deciding and being held accountable... I don't have to worry about such things.

Can you tell... I'm taking it for granted we're going to the tournament. :nailbiting:

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20170517aaa.pdf

Going with the same starters/same sequence: Curry (Thurs); Gibson (Fri); Lee (Sat)

With an eye toward the ACC tournament which could start on Tuesday for Tech (6 of the 12 will play will play on Tuesday). I wonder if there was any thought to mixing the pitchers' sequencing? For planning purposes (best case), you would assume (and plan for) wins at the ACC tournament, right? You will play 2 games over the first 4 days of the tournament (Tues-Fri). Then Sat (semi-finals)... Sun championship. So...the guy who starts on Tues (or Wed) could be ready to come back on Saturday (semi-finals) of the tournament. I feel like the "hot hand" right now is clearly LEE. So... a few questions:

Lee pitched a complete game on Sunday. I think he could/should be available to pitch today (or tomorrow)...or is that too soon? Does waiting until Saturday (the current plan), make Lee unavailable for a Tuesday start in the tournament... Wed too? Seems like this weekend's rotation sets up to mean Lee will only be available to start only one time in the tournament. I'd try to work it for him to be able to go 2 times over that tournament week.

I suppose the counter-argument is to not mess with the order on the final weekend of the season. Just... keep things rolling this way AND worry about the tournament next week. Granted... we have not even CLINCHED a spot in the tournament at all, yet. Perhaps having Lee inline (worst case scenario) on Sat v UVA in a "win or season's over" scenario is the better idea.

Another example of why I would suck as a coach. I can identify the problem (or a subset of them, at least)... but actually deciding and being held accountable... I don't have to worry about such things.

Can you tell... I'm taking it for granted we're going to the tournament. :nailbiting:
Good thoughts/questions. I think lee threw around 110 pitches on Sunday, so he definitely wouldn't be ready for today and even tomorrow would be iffy. Depending on how many pitches he throws on Saturday will determine his availability next week. If he throws < 75 pitches, I'd think we might be able to trot him out there at the earliest on Thursday. Maybe by Saturday we will have clinched a ACC tourney spot and can limit his usage allowing him to be available to throw whenever we play our 2nd game. Curry has been used to pitching on 6 days rest this season, so you may have to factor that in as well (this week will be 5 days rest which is plenty).

Kind of crazy to me that the ACC tournament hasn't listed which seeds are playing when yet. If we make it, we could possibly play our first game on Tuesday or Wednesday or even Thursday from what I am understanding.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Friday, May 19, at 6 p.m. as it is our Danny Hall Free Poster giveaway night!
C_9r3knUQAAp1ly.jpg

:D:D:D

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
lol. Ironically d-hall ball has yielded a healthy number of crowds that barely broke the 1000 area this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Regardless of the outcome, I'm glad Connor Thomas is pitching. This is real experience which should help harden him for next year.

I would be remiss not to point out that UVa has 3 errors and allowed 6 unearned runs.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Regardless of the outcome, I'm glad Connor Thomas is pitching. This is real experience which should help harden him for next year.

I would be remiss not to point out that UVa has 3 errors and allowed 6 unearned runs.
Thomas has struggled in every outing. Not sure why CDH has put so much faith in him.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thomas has struggled in every outing. Not sure why CDH has put so much faith in him.

Since has Hall been accurate about pitcher's subsequent performance? Like more than 25% of the time? Most of the time it's just coach speak. Or just incredibly bad luck on average the last 6 years.

Thomas should be better for getting his butt kicked this season and not just being told how great he is.

6 outs and a 3 run lead. We need to throw everyone at this and forget about saving anyone. Hall was good in pulling Thomas after one 4 pitch walk (and wild pitch advancing the runner to third).

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Since has Hall been accurate about pitcher's subsequent performance? Like more than 25% of the time? Most of the time it's just coach speak. Or just incredibly bad luck on average the last 6 years.

Thomas should be better for getting his butt kicked this season and not just being told how great he is.

6 outs and a 3 run lead. We need to throw everyone at this and forget about saving anyone. Hall was good in pulling Thomas after one 4 pitch walk (and wild pitch advancing the runner to third).
We need this win.

Thomas has good stuff and I hope he will be a good one for us.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pitt up 2-0 in 2nd at Wake.
Wake is up 6-4 in T8. Really need WF to win this game. The VT-Miami game got postponed and they will play DH tomorrow.

In games that only matter if we can sweep or win 2:
Duke is up 6-4 on UNC B7
NCST up 3-2 on Clemson T9
FSU up 9-7 on Lville B7

None of those are helping us out seeding wise.