UVA - End of Regular Season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, I watched an interesting Netflix series "Fortitude". Better than the mess at the Rusty C.

We threw 220 pitches BUT Jonathan Hughes pitched the last inning!!!!! 15 pitches, 9 strikes (60%). 1 hit 1 K and no runs. No walks or hit batters!!!!! I didn't know he was going to be back this year.

Our two errors didn't matter. But just continuation of sloppy baseball. At least we have a minimum of 3 more games this season.

I was thinking that GT baseball is like a hangover, you go in feeling great and come out like ****. When it's gone you miss it and miss having something to whine about. (Maybe not the best analogy but its a love-hate thing where you just can't stop. Even after nights like tonight.)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So, the good news. WE ARE IN THE ACC TOURNEY.

Virginia Tech lost to Miami, and Pittsburgh beat Wake Forest. They both have 9 wins. So with 1 game left, they cannot get to 11.

We are currently in the #10 slot with 11 wins. We cannot finish any worse than #11, because the #11 and #12 (BC and ND) both have 10 wins and are playing each other tomorrow in the finale.

If we win tomorrow, we are the #10 seed and will be put in a round robin with someone like Wake Forest and NC State. That is HUGE to avoid Louisville and North Carolina.

If we lose tomorrow and ND beats BC, they have the head to head tiebreaker and we take #11.
If we lose tomorrow and BC beats ND, then both of us (who never played each other) have the same 7-17 record against common opponents. Not sure where it goes from there - total runs scored or something? So we could still finish #10 if BC wins tomorrow, but not sure.
We own tiebreaker over BC because with no head to head, it falls to: "Head-to-head competition of the tied teams compared to common opponents with the highest overall conference winning percentage and continuing until one team gains an advantage." We had same record v LOU (0-3)... and v UNC we are 1-2, BC 0-3.

Head to Head v common opponents (collectively) is not a criteria... for some reason.
http://www.theacc.com/page/acc-baseball-tiebreakers

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
OK, I watched an interesting Netflix series "Fortitude". Better than the mess at the Rusty C.

We threw 220 pitches BUT Jonathan Hughes pitched the last inning!!!!! 15 pitches, 9 strikes (60%). 1 hit 1 K and no runs. No walks or hit batters!!!!! I didn't know he was going to be back this year.

Our two errors didn't matter. But just continuation of sloppy baseball. At least we have a minimum of 3 more games this season.

I was thinking that GT baseball is like a hangover, you go in feeling great and come out like ****. When it's gone you miss it and miss having something to whine about. (Maybe not the best analogy but its a love-hate thing where you just can't stop. Even after nights like tonight.)
For some reason what you just described reminded me if this...
IMG_0985.JPG

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lee isn't pitching tomorrow---I think CDH is planning on saving him for first game of the ACC tourney per his pregame radio interview. I'd expect to see Schneiderjans get the start and every other reliever available except for Carpenter.
Just watched his postgame interview--Connor Thomas is starting tomorrow.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lee isn't pitching tomorrow---I think CDH is planning on saving him for first game of the ACC tourney per his pregame radio interview. I'd expect to see Schneiderjans get the start and every other reliever available except for Carpenter.
In the post-game interview (embedded in the recap - link below), CDH outlines the pitching plan:

C.Thomas gets his first career start in the season finale tomorrow.
Lee & Curry start Games 1&2 of tournament... respectively.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051917aaa.html

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In the post-game interview (embedded in the recap - link below), CDH outlines the pitching plan:

C.Thomas gets his first career start in the season finale tomorrow.
Lee & Curry start Games 1&2 of tournament... respectively.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051917aaa.html

I like it. The ACC tourney games are a lot more important than the one today. And Lee has been our best starter over the last few weeks.

Connor Thomas is sure getting a lot of games to play in. I try and watch at least the beginning to see how he does. He wasn't very accurate last inning out as I recall but must have potential. I like working the Fr for next year.

All said, I don't think we'll win today but hopefully make it close. Who knows, UVa may give us a gift too as they should be working their pitching rotation to the ACC tourney too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Much better than yesterday. B2 get a run back and only down 3-4. Left bases loaded and into second pitcher. Both teams scoring in each inning. Think we'll see some more, a lot more.

Connor is doing better. Lead off SO. Seems like the first of the season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
'Let's hope BC wins. 3-9. Nice day for yard work.

Connor hung a zero in the third. Ben S didn't do well. At least we have Lee, Curry and maybe Connor for starting next year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
'Let's hope BC wins. 3-9. Nice day for yard work.

Connor hung a zero in the third. Ben S didn't do well. At least we have Lee, Curry and maybe Connor for starting next year.
Lost 3 +pounds in sweat doing yard work today. Some water and a couple of beers will replace that. Hot and muggy in the ATL today. (Yes it will be worse later on this summer. )

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Two sacs in the eighth by us. Two outs, but we did leave one at third. (tic)

Ryan to pitch ninth tied. Hyde or Jeykll?

Update: Looks like Hyde. Lead off walk, single, sac and we are down one. Then SO. But that Damn walk scores.

Final: SO to end inning. But down 9-10.

Last edited: