USF Postgame #USFvsGT

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't think we completed more than about 50 passes either year lol. We were literally one of the worst teams in America at passing the ball. We were a joke.
Fact: When you throw it more, you'll have more INTs. I'll take Graham or LJ over what we had at QB in 2017 or 2018 when it comes to passing the football. No more back-foot dead ducks, please!

Shift the goal line. Never seen that tactic before.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Love the money down. He did it at Florida as well and it worked really good to get the place goin

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Overall, this game went about how I figured it would. I don't see GT winning a lot this year, but I really am not concerned. I saw progress today.

True, that progress came against a really bad team, but we're not a good team ourselves yet either. The difference is that I think we will turn a corner in a year or two for the better of our program. We just need to give CGC time to get his players into the system.

This game was probably a great wake up call to the rebuild we have coming. This year is probably going to be rough. Next year, with the SoS, might be rougher. There is hope however. We are recruiting well and if CGC is worth his salt he's selling position needs to every 4/5* he meets. We have a 4* QB redshirting right now who probably starts day one next year. That 4* QB will have a 4* transfer WR to target and a 4* RB to hand it off to. We'll have 5* DT anchoring the line. It may be rough for a while, but we will see progress.

Don't try to read too much into this season. We are a team in transition. Transitions in CFB are rarely smooth. I like the direction of our program.

Go Jackets!!!

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Money down doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might get old. What I don't like is fake money with a coach's face planted on it (any coach) being passed around. Remove the face, then yeah, ok.

For the record, I haven't seen the alleged fake bills, but that's how the announcers described them.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Love the money down. He did it at Florida as well and it worked really good to get the place goin

I'm not overly a fan of the money down, but I could care less if the fans will support it. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was with crowd noise at the game today. We were rare;y on our feet and yelling for money down. If we don't get behind it as fans, the jokes going to be we're too broke to pay for it...

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
From Ken S. (AJC)

If you're wondering: 1) Wesley Wells did not play because Brenton King out-competed him in practice this week, Geoff Collins said.
2) Charlie Thomas was not bothered by the heat today. "I'm from South Georgia."

Hmmm, Brenton king is one of the worst kickers I have seen in a game. Wells is a gamer - I thought he was going to develop into a nice kicker before all was said and done.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think anyone is actually upset about Money Down and ATL etc. We’re teasing in good fun because it’s all goofy as hell. It doesn’t bother me (we’re having fun), but that doesn’t mean it’s not goofy. Goofy doesn’t equal bad and if it helps “the culture”, go for it.

But come on, guys. People are going to tease about throwing fake money with Coach’s face on it.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm, Brenton king is one of the worst kickers I have seen in a game. Wells is a gamer - I thought he was going to develop into a nice kicker before all was said and done.
I mean, I love Wells as much as the next GT fan, but how can you say King is one of the worst kickers you’ve seen in a game? He kicked one FG from 51 yards out and the ball was kicked well just way right. I’ve seen way worse over the years. He has a stronger leg than Wells because the 51 yard attempt landed in the stands.

If he is performing better in practice then I don’t blame the coaches for giving him a shot. If he continues to miss in game, then Wells will get his opportunity again.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer

Have you watched College (and some pro) kicking recently? It’s not great. Like most recruits, King came highly touted. Competition is King and we’ll have one on scholly and one PWO when it’s all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I love Wells as much as the next GT fan, but how can you say King is one of the worst kickers you’ve seen in a game? He kicked one FG from 51 yards out and the ball was kicked well just way right. I’ve seen way worse over the years. He has a stronger leg than Wells because the 51 yard attempt landed in the stands.

If he is performing better in practice then I don’t blame the coaches for giving him a shot. If he continues to miss in game, then Wells will get his opportunity again.

He played in other games for us than just this one, but I agree that his statement is hyperbole.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
People freaking out over the way the offense looks amuse me. Here are the last two games of last year, with a senior QB and a team specifically recruited to run the system with multiple years of experience in it.

UGA - 219 yards, 14 offensive points
Minnesota - 283 yards, 10 offensive points.

We returned a team with no experience at QB, no real experience at WR, no TE at all, an OL that was terrible pass blocking and lost it's best player. The struggles we are having on offense aren't because the OC is trash or doesn't know anything. It's because we decided to transition away from the triple option when we had a team only really suited to run that specific offense. All of this was forseeable. Maybe you liked the decision to go away from the TO, maybe not, but once it was made we were pretty much guaranteed to struggle on offense this year. It was a decision made for the long term at the cost of the immediate future (which was pretty much the entire theme of the coaching hire).

Last week people were saying Oliver was terrible and we should see someone else. This week it was LJ sucking and Oliver should be playing. In three weeks maybe it'll be Graham and there is a good chance people will be calling for another QB.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
People freaking out over the way the offense looks amuse me. Here are the last two games of last year, with a senior QB and a team specifically recruited to run the system with multiple years of experience in it.

UGA - 219 yards, 14 offensive points
Minnesota - 283 yards, 10 offensive points.

Why not look at the USF game from last year? 602 yards, 38 points.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Can we lay this to rest? The RB didn't have possession of the ball when the ball reached a point that may have been touching the goal line. It was on it's way out, camera angle seemed alright to me.
I think we got lucky on that one. Since there wasn’t a camera right on the goal line, the call on the field no matter what it was, probably couldn’t be overturned. With that said, I think it was a TD.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you think the team that put 49 points on us last year is the same team that scored 10 on us today? The USF team that we played last year sure looked a lot better than the team that we kinda beat today.

Yes. That team lost six games in a row. It was a crap team last year and is a crap team this year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I surreptitiously sneaked on the South Florida website "Bullspen" to see what they had to say about us. Very little it turns out because they mainly wanted to gripe about Coach Strong who many of them feel would have been fired under the goal posts after the game were it not for the 7 million dollar buyout that the Texas attorneys laid on them for getting rid of Strong and the utter, total, glee with which they expressed about Coach Taggert and the Noles. I was kind of taken aback and thought I had stumbled onto Gator Country nope. One wise guy said that Willie might be gone before Charlie. Not much about us other than complaining about the TD that became a turnover and a quarterback controversy,. We are like Rodney Dangerfield, we don't get any respect even when we win.

As far as today's win goes...well it beats losing. "Just win, baby." Al Davis circa 1975
And to think. Many on this board wanted Strong as our coach. Once upon a time.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Yes. That team lost six games in a row. It was a crap team last year and is a crap team this year.

That changes nothing. That crap team from last year was still better than the crappier team that they put on the field yesterday.