USF Postgame #USFvsGT

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of my thoughts have already been expressed by others.

-I have zero concern one way or the other about “money down”, “ATL” or any other “culture” changes. If those things get you riled up, you need some perspective in life.

-I love the improvement on defense. This s what I hoped a CGC defense would look like and it looks ahead of schedule.

-I have concerns that our offensive staff is not innovative enough to utilize the players we have to win now. We were spoiled by the way CPJ was able to do that with the 2008 roster.

-I don’t understand what some are seeing at QB. One of them just isn’t a gamer. One needs to run the ball 10+ times a game from whatever position. And one is clearly the most composed and able to hit a pass beyond 4 yards. Hopefully they sort it out soon.

Look at our scores in 2008 and revisit this. We won that year because we had an elite defense.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. The only stat that matters. Win vs loss. Quit while you well behind.

You keep telling yourself that. If you think that W is a good indicator of our future success, you don’t know anything about sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You keep telling yourself that. If you think that W is a good indicator of our future success, you don’t know anything about sports.

If you can’t understand the obvious logical fallacy of them being worse this year because we shut down their offense and beat them you either just don’t understand or more likely you choose not to understand.

They were terrible last year. They lost 6 in a row. They didn’t beat another team with more than 4 wins and those games they barely won.

They returned 15 starters. 9 from the offense we could not stop last year.

They are basically the same crappy team and we actually beat them this year.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
If you can’t understand the obvious logical fallacy of them being worse this year because we shut down their offense and beat them you either just don’t understand or more likely you choose not to understand.

They were terrible last year. They lost 6 in a row. They didn’t beat another team with more than 4 wins and those games they barely won.

I clearly remember losing to those clowns last year and some fans in another forum laughably said that "Well, USF actually isn't that bad!", to try to excuse that debacle before USF rattled off 6 losses (now 8!) in a row.

USF is terrible. Our O didn't play well but the D deserves credit for shutting 'em down and making plays. Yesterday's Win was 1000x better than last year's loss.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
People freaking out over the way the offense looks amuse me. Here are the last two games of last year, with a senior QB and a team specifically recruited to run the system with multiple years of experience in it.

UGA - 219 yards, 14 offensive points
Minnesota - 283 yards, 10 offensive points.

We returned a team with no experience at QB, no real experience at WR, no TE at all, an OL that was terrible pass blocking and lost it's best player. The struggles we are having on offense aren't because the OC is trash or doesn't know anything. It's because we decided to transition away from the triple option when we had a team only really suited to run that specific offense. All of this was forseeable. Maybe you liked the decision to go away from the TO, maybe not, but once it was made we were pretty much guaranteed to struggle on offense this year. It was a decision made for the long term at the cost of the immediate future (which was pretty much the entire theme of the coaching hire).

Last week people were saying Oliver was terrible and we should see someone else. This week it was LJ sucking and Oliver should be playing. In three weeks maybe it'll be Graham and there is a good chance people will be calling for another QB.
I’m trying to figure out how people are upset. I mean what were you realistically thinking. This is a complete transformation. Celebrate any wins we get. This year all coaches deserve a pass.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
People freaking out over the way the offense looks amuse me. Here are the last two games of last year, with a senior QB and a team specifically recruited to run the system with multiple years of experience in it.

UGA - 219 yards, 14 offensive points
Minnesota - 283 yards, 10 offensive points.

We returned a team with no experience at QB, no real experience at WR, no TE at all, an OL that was terrible pass blocking and lost it's best player. The struggles we are having on offense aren't because the OC is trash or doesn't know anything. It's because we decided to transition away from the triple option when we had a team only really suited to run that specific offense. All of this was forseeable. Maybe you liked the decision to go away from the TO, maybe not, but once it was made we were pretty much guaranteed to struggle on offense this year. It was a decision made for the long term at the cost of the immediate future (which was pretty much the entire theme of the coaching hire).

Last week people were saying Oliver was terrible and we should see someone else. This week it was LJ sucking and Oliver should be playing. In three weeks maybe it'll be Graham and there is a good chance people will be calling for another QB.
This. Thank you!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we completed more than about 50 passes either year lol. We were literally one of the worst teams in America at passing the ball. We were a joke.
Fact: When you throw it more, you'll have more INTs. I'll take Graham or LJ over what we had at QB in 2017 or 2018 when it comes to passing the football. No more back-foot dead ducks, please!

Still the rate is far lower we had 9 interceptions on 246 attempts so far we have attempted 39 passes and thrown three interceptions. So dead duck passing interception rate of 1 ever 27 attemps. New hotness 1 every 13 also the majority ofnour passing game was vertical. High risk high reward throws this year we have thrown 3 balls past 10 yards.

Last edited:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

They started off 7-0 last year and we were beaten during that stretch and they were ranked #21 in the country at the end of that stretch. In 2019, we will be one of the 8+ teams who defeated them during their losing streak.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm very pleased with our defense. We getting some pass rush and our day backs are covering much better. Past defenses would have not been able to save this game. Offensively we are still a mess with no identity. But I trust our coaches to get this worked out. Too early to be too critical. Once our guys gain experience and confidence in this new system, we will look a lot differently.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
says the guy who thinks 1 INT in 27 passes is good. Seems to be a new tactic from those with an agenda: Whenever you're hit with a stat fact, just throw out the 'goal line' comment. :ROFLMAO: That'll make your point!

Again, your hyperbolic comment was pointed out for what it was. You shifted your argument. But hey, we've seen that before...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
USF is worse this year and so are we. Both teams tried desperately to lose we lost the race to the loser line.

We are better on D and worse on O IMHO. Maybe the same on ST which is sad.

I think a lot of the confusion about the O from the fans is that Collins is trying to make the scheme fit the players rather than the players fit the scheme. Agree it was ugly, but there was a lot of visible enthusiasm.

If the OL injuries we have gotten had occurred last year, our flex scheme would have suffered and we probably would have lost with last year's D. Of course that is wild speculation and Sunday morning QBing.

I still guess we end up at 6-6 regular season since we play some weak Coastal teams. Beat El Cid, Temple, Duke, Pitt and VT.