USF Postgame #USFvsGT

Animal02

Banned
You think there’s a 25 point difference (USF scored 35 offensive points last year versus 10 points this year) because of our brand new defense? No way. If our defense is so much improved this year over last year, it sure didn’t show against Clemson. We gave up 49 points and 480 yards of offense last year versus 52 points and 639 yards of offense this year. I’ll admit that our new defense is passing the eye test where Roof’s didn’t but I don’t think the improvement made anywhere near a 25 point difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would say the improved D made at least half the difference. Clemp did get points on short fields, I do not know how that compared to last year's Clemp game. Last year, the O kept us in the game against USF, and it was lost by special teams. This year, the D won the game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You think there’s a 25 point difference (USF scored 35 offensive points last year versus 10 points this year) because of our brand new defense? No way. If our defense is so much improved this year over last year, it sure didn’t show against Clemson. We gave up 49 points and 480 yards of offense last year versus 52 points and 639 yards of offense this year. I’ll admit that our new defense is passing the eye test where Roof’s didn’t but I don’t think the improvement made anywhere near a 25 point difference.

The eye test says it's a lot better. Much better pass defense, and much better tackling. Those are where the improvements are. Just looks a lot better to me.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The eye test says it's a lot better. Much better pass defense, and much better tackling. Those are where the improvements are. Just looks a lot better to me.

I am trying not to judge too quickly how good or bad our defense is this year. IMO it's way too early to tell and the teams we've played so far on on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I expected us to struggle more against Clemson, but the early D held it's own for a bit. Against USF we looked great, but that's a really low bar.

What sticks out to me is Tre Swilling. He is REALLY good. He hasn't been overwhelmed at all no matter who he is playing against. It's a start, and I will take it. The rest of the D will be easier to judge as we enter the October portion of our schedule.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I am trying not to judge too quickly how good or bad our defense is this year. IMO it's way too early to tell and the teams we've played so far on on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I expected us to struggle more against Clemson, but the early D held it's own for a bit. Against USF we looked great, but that's a really low bar.

What sticks out to me is Tre Swilling. He is REALLY good. He hasn't been overwhelmed at all no matter who he is playing against. It's a start, and I will take it. The rest of the D will be easier to judge as we enter the October portion of our schedule.

USF never even looked his way. Swillign basically shut down half the field in their passing game.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If our defense is so much improved this year over last year, it sure didn’t show against Clemson. We gave up 49 points and 480 yards of offense last year versus 52 points and 639 yards of offense this year.

There are two things you are leaving out. The first is last year we were playing to kill clock and it resulted in fewer drives overall (about 4 fewer real drives). The second is that Clemson started Kelly Bryant, not Lawrence. Lawrence shredded us last year. 6 Drives, 5 TDs. Had Lawrence started last year the numbers would likely have looked similar.

We were about the same in terms of YPP, and were worse in YPC because of the one 90 yard play. Outside of one busted play the difference was number of possessions.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If you can’t understand the obvious logical fallacy of them being worse this year because we shut down their offense and beat them you either just don’t understand or more likely you choose not to understand.

They were terrible last year. They lost 6 in a row. They didn’t beat another team with more than 4 wins and those games they barely won.

They returned 15 starters. 9 from the offense we could not stop last year.

They are basically the same crappy team and we actually beat them this year.

Funny thing is that USF has all the hallmarks of a poorly coached team. Foolish and untimely penalties, unable to finish drives, and doing stupid stuff like trying to hold the ball out on the goal line on first down. Maybe he was in and maybe he wasn't he did look like he got the ball over the plane from my vantage point but WHY take that chance on first down? Dumb, and it probably cost them the game. USF looks like a team in disarray and the hiring of Kerwin Bell smacks of a desperation move by Coach Strong.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t like it, either. And certainly I’d rather see it go away. But I think you think people care about what GT does more than they actually do. Other schools/teams have rally signs and stuff and sure, occasionally they get made into memes (which are usually pretty funny). And nobody really cares and it doesn’t hurt anything other than the feelings of the people who feel insulted.

I don't care for it either but if the players like it and respond to it...well, just do it for them. They seemed excited and played hard yesterday even in the miserable heat which is more than can be said for some teams like FSU and Tennessee.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Every person on here needs to be about the money down and whatever other weird social media inspired stuff CGC conceives.

I'd be all about “tradition” if we were nick Saban and bama. But given that we're kind of an odd ball place, we have to think different

herb

Helluva Engineer
Every person on here needs to be about the money down and whatever other weird social media inspired stuff CGC conceives.

I'd be all about “tradition” if we were nick Saban and bama. But given that we're kind of an odd ball place, we have to think different

If they like it, it doesn’t bother me tremendously, though it feels very forced and I certainly don’t have to like it. A lot of positives to take away from yesterday, IMO, that was not one

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Things already mentioned and I agree:

1. The O line misses Parker. Texas is lucky to have him.
2. I miss the whistle. Was afraid Collins would ditch the Budweiser song also. Money down is Collins thing so embrace it whether you like it or not. One of the songs played during the game sounded like it used Collins' name. Maybe they could put the lyrics on the jumbotron so we could know what the song was about.
3. Was at the game so have not seen the replay of the goal line fumble other than on the jumbotron at the game. Will be interested to see that replay. But the crowd did react and got loud after that play.
4. It was hot. Many of us complained about noon games. Guess we get what we deserve. A hotter 2:00 start. lol Agree that the coaching decision to rotate players that are ATL kept the defense from wearing out because they did not look gassed at the end of the game.

A couple of points possible not discussed yet:

1. I am still a little puzzled about the long snap counts. I mean really long.

Trying to get the defense to jump offsides from the shotgun? Burning the clock to shorten the game? Getting the defense to lose focus? Anyone know the rational for the extended time over the ball? I recall one procedure penalty during one of these. But not something positive because of it.

2. Mason needs more touches, I don't care who the QB is. He looked great Saturday. I will let the forum fight over who the QB should be. But Mason carried the Offense in my opinion.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

I will have to disagree with part of this. We have great traditions at the institute and need to preserve many of them. No reason to park the wreck or silence the whistle. Besides what great traditions does 'bama have anyway?