Update on Coach Paul Johnson: Retirement

Someone earlier made an incredibly mean post regarding CPJ helping Cutcliffe, and I responded expressing my disgust with the post. Fortunately, both the original post and mine were deleted by the mods. We can choose to question or mock CPJ helping Cutcliffe, but there is no need for attacks of the nature of the one that was removed. I don't really like that he did, but at the same time I think it speaks to the genius that is CPJ that even one of his "enemies" would seek out his help, and to the class of CPJ for agreeing to do so.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was glad to see that Paul is enjoying himself and getting his batteries back up to full. I think he'll pull a Bill Snyder on us yet, though probably not by coming back to Tech. It'll be interesting to see how he does it and with who. I know I'll be watching.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I was glad to see that Paul is enjoying himself and getting his batteries back up to full. I think he'll pull a Bill Snyder on us yet, though probably not by coming back to Tech. It'll be interesting to see how he does it and with who. I know I'll be watching.

If lundsford ends up getting pryed away from southern (doubt it but it could happen) I could see Johnson going back to Georgia Southern if only to have some fun if he missed it. I could also see him going back to Navy as he loved it there. Otherwise i'd have to be something bigger. Honestly think he'll just stay retired.

Mcnfan

Georgia Tech Fan
If lundsford ends up getting pryed away from southern (doubt it but it could happen) I could see Johnson going back to Georgia Southern if only to have some fun if he missed it. I could also see him going back to Navy as he loved it there. Otherwise i'd have to be something bigger. Honestly think he'll just stay retired.
I hope he coaches again. I will be watching too. Love CPJ. Love the offense and love how he is a straight shooter. I miss him and the offense honestly.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Actually not really. In my profession it's fairly common for someone who retired from a full time job to do some part time consulting on the side...

True. When I retired after 30 years with the same company, I was offered—and accepted—a part-time job as a paid professional consultant for the same company, on an as-needed basis, for five consecutive years following my retirement.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Actually not really. In my profession it's fairly common for someone who retired from a full time job to do some part time consulting on the side...
Not sure what your profession is but I’d say it’s not fair to compare it to Head Coaching at this level. Even if you are some type of big boss or something which most Tech fans are.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure what your profession is but I’d say it’s not fair to compare it to Head Coaching at this level. Even if you are some type of big boss or something which most Tech fans are.

I work with a lot of guys who are spending a year contracting after retirement. They are getting extra pay to share their knowledge and experience. Most of these guys never worked a day in management. We see it all the time in coaching. Some consult, some go on TV. Saban collects former coaches as consultants on his staff. You're right on a lot of the recruiting stuff, but you're wrong on this one. It's not delusional to leverage your skills for lucrative part time gigs once you are retired. It's smart, and no one ever accused CPJ of being stupid...

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I work with a lot of guys who are spending a year contracting after retirement. They are getting extra pay to share their knowledge and experience. Most of these guys never worked a day in management. We see it all the time in coaching. Some consult, some go on TV. Saban collects former coaches as consultants on his staff. You're right on a lot of the recruiting stuff, but you're wrong on this one. It's not delusional to leverage your skills for lucrative part time gigs once you are retired. It's smart, and no one ever accused CPJ of being stupid...

I think it is smart of CPJ to consult and it probably gets him a lot of enjoyment because he can teach what he knows without having to deal with the kind of stuff he retired to get away from. At the same time, CGC can't really rely on the former staff to help him transition. It's nothing personal, but he's trying to project a different image for the program going forward so it's best (for both parties) to cut ties altogether. Coaching is different from the corporate world in that when a head coach changes, the entire staff changes over for the most part. The corporate world doesn't really see that kind of immediate and drastic transition. Also, the corporate world isn't really dealing with the same kind of press and examination of internal workings.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think it is smart of CPJ to consult and it probably gets him a lot of enjoyment because he can teach what he knows without having to deal with the kind of stuff he retired to get away from. At the same time, CGC can't really rely on the former staff to help him transition. It's nothing personal, but he's trying to project a different image for the program going forward so it's best (for both parties) to cut ties altogether. Coaching is different from the corporate world in that when a head coach changes, the entire staff changes over for the most part. The corporate world doesn't really see that kind of immediate and drastic transition. Also, the corporate world isn't really dealing with the same kind of press and examination of internal workings.

There is some truth to what you are saying, but there is also wisdom in making that connection and utilizing a retired coach as a consultant. I don't blame CGC for making the clean break, and it's certainly warranted, but it would have probably been beneficial to at least consult with CPJ on some packages to utilize the leftover playmakers as the team rebuilds. Either way, it's water under the bridge now.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I like that CPJ's lending a hand to Baltimore. We all know there's a chip on his shoulder from years and years of outsiders dismissing TO at a P5 level and what's better than to prove that it works in the big league. He's already made that point with this last tweet about the Ravens. Hope to see more of that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
CGC purposefully made a clean break plus all the collateral stuff surrounding the change. That decision had consequences. He owns that. If we have a staff that buries its head in the sand because they own all the great ideas and nobody else has any, well it will be very interesting seeing how that plays out. It has not worked that way in any endeavor my entire adult life.