Update on Coach Paul Johnson: Retirement

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
good job. I was going to say the same. I dont recall ever zoning under cpj. Ever. Ever. Not in the proper sense.

ravens do what i wished cpj did for a decade. Convert to a modern zone scheme and option off it. Search my post history if no one believes me. It helps balance the O to pass; which the ravens do too lol

We did, we had a few inside zone plays out of the single pistol but finding the specific 2012 offensive highlights is a bit of a chore. it definitely was not the norm (we didn't have to deal with that silly 5 yard down the field cut block ban which allows blocks like 70's so it really wasn't necessary.)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Jeez. On that last gif there were two perfect cut blocks. One by ab one by ol.

that second one by ol; perfectly explains why we needed smaller faster linemen as a general rule. I don’t remember who 70 was then. But damn what a block.
Shaq Mason.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We did, we had a few inside zone plays out of the single pistol but finding the specific 2012 offensive highlights is a bit of a chore. it definitely was not the norm (we didn't have to deal with that silly 5 yard down the field cut block ban which allows blocks like 70's so it really wasn't necessary.)
Heck, I thought we ran inside zone from under center too.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

like i said not in the proper sense. We never majored in it and used it as a large component. We may have used a concept here and there on a couple plays thats it. By no means did any of our kids know how to run a zone scheme; make those checks and assignments or pass pro out o it. Its why its such a learning curve now. This is what i meant by we never ever zoned as a team. It was nothing compared to the foundation of our O. In fact I don’t remember one zone play the last few years but maybe we did?

just as zone blocking offenses dont zone every play. They have a few drive blocks or power etc. but its not the fortay

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
like i said not in the proper sense. We never majored in it and used it as a large component. We may have used a concept here and there on a couple plays thats it. By no means did any of our kids know how to run a zone scheme; make those checks and assignments or pass pro out o it. Its why its such a learning curve now. This is what i meant by we never ever zoned as a team. It was nothing compared to the foundation of our O. In fact I don’t remember one zone play the last few years but maybe we did?

just as zone blocking offenses dont zone every play. They have a few drive blocks or power etc. but its not the fortay

Zone dive has been a staple play we've always zoned that one. We also specifically added a zone triple and zone keep the last couple years. Zoning simply means blocking to a zone , step follow a lane pick up what crosses your face. Its damn near the easiest way to block. Pass protections are different now and yes that is a learning curve. So is catching instead of attacking.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Weren't many of the Tobias plays (vs USF and vpi) run off zone blocking?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Weren't many of the Tobias plays (vs USF and vpi) run off zone blocking?

Dont have time to look at every snap. But I just viewed a bunch of plays randomly vs vt and didn’t see it. It was alot of qb leads off tackle but the blocking wasn’t zone. It was alot of drive and down. We didnt stretch etc. but again I didn’t watch every snap.

with that said; there is some confusion with the term zone blocking. The OL zone scheme we run now, may have 1-2 plays comparable to what paul used but not identical. They are different assignments for sure; combo blocks and how you do second level is for sure different as well. The style of absorbing to block vs firing out changes how and who you block

Even how we run outside sweeps or stretches with our current scheme is classic zone stretch play. We didn’t run it that way with paul; in fact i dont even remember any or many classic outside zone plays??? Maybe my memory is bad there.

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Dont have time to look at every snap. But I just viewed a bunch of plays randomly vs vt and didn’t see it. It was alot of qb leads off tackle but the blocking wasn’t zone. It was alot of drive and down. We didnt stretch etc. but again I didn’t watch every snap.

with that said; there is some confusion with the term zone blocking. The OL zone scheme we run now, may have 1-2 plays comparable to what paul used but not identical. They are different assignments for sure; combo blocks and how you do second level is for sure different as well. The style of absorbing to block vs firing out changes how and who you block

Even how we run outside sweeps or stretches with our current scheme is classic zone stretch play. We didn’t run it that way with paul; in fact i dont even remember any or many classic outside zone plays??? Maybe my memory is bad there.

We never ran outside zone with paul. In his offense that attack is more met by the rocket and the pitch phase of the option. But yeah catching then blocking is very different. Honestly the closest we've ever come to do that style was in 08 with the freeze draw play with Dwyer.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We never ran outside zone with paul. In his offense that attack is more met by the rocket and the pitch phase of the option. But yeah catching then blocking is very different. Honestly the closest we've ever come to do that style was in 08 with the freeze draw play with Dwyer.

yes I don't recall ever seeing outside zone with paul either as stated.

good call on the freeze draw play....in fact since you bring it up, its odd I can't remember seeing it again? Maybe we did and I just overlooked it. But its hard to recall; but that was a rare catch technique play

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
yes I don't recall ever seeing outside zone with paul either as stated.

good call on the freeze draw play....in fact since you bring it up, its odd I can't remember seeing it again? Maybe we did and I just overlooked it. But its hard to recall; but that was a rare catch technique play

After 08 we stopped bothering because we didnt need it johnsons offensive matra was attack attack attack.