Update on Coach Paul Johnson: Retirement

slugboy

Staff member
Young people shopping at Costco and buying color TVs
(Mangled idea from the article. I get a kick out of him watching “Gunsmoke”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nice piece with a different look at a guy many perceived as a curmudgeon, and .. ah, what the hell. Paul Johnson is a curmudgeon. And a terrific coach who leaves the distinct impression he will be back. The only complaint I have with the piece is a failure to note the Army-Navy coaches and the upcoming game. I wonder if he plans to attend and watch his top two lieutenants duke it out with his offense?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well this stood out:

He has served as a resource for a number of coaching colleagues – notably Duke’s David Cutcliffe, who incorporated Johnson’s formations and plays and used them to help beat the Yellow Jackets in October

So much for the narrative that CPJ and Cutcliffe can't stand each other.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On another note, if CPJ decides to coach HS in GA, sign me up for season tickets to that HS. He lives down the road from Lovett HS, and quite a few public schools in the Vinnings/Smyrna area. Can you imagine HS coaches having to deal with CPJ every week? Man, it would be fun to watch CPJ draw up some plays with a stud HS QB at his disposal.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Apparently his friendship with Cutcliffe didn't slow him from beating us like a mule the last few yrs.
It was never my impression he and Cutcliffe were buddies. I remember an icy exchange when he said Cutcliffe should stick to his own team after some snarky Cutcliffe jab that Johnson could not have recruited outstanding receivers with his offense.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
On another note, if CPJ decides to coach HS in GA, sign me up for season tickets to that HS. He lives down the road from Lovett HS, and quite a few public schools in the Vinnings/Smyrna area. Can you imagine HS coaches having to deal with CPJ every week? Man, it would be fun to watch CPJ draw up some plays with a stud HS QB at his disposal.
He would win multiple state championships

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have a tough time seeing Johnson coaching HS ball after his collegiate career, and thus immediately arming his critics with the cry about his "high school offense". I think we might see him back at a bowl series level or -- don't laugh because he has been there and done that very well -- as offensive coordinator at a major school. That he likes to run the football doesn't mean he wouldn't throw it working for a coach who wanted it airborne. That would be fascinating, I think, because there are not many DCs who can out scheme or outthink him. (the more I think about it the more I like the idea.)