Update on Coach Paul Johnson: Retirement

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
CGC purposefully made a clean break plus all the collateral stuff surrounding the change. That decision had consequences. He owns that. If we have a staff that buries its head in the sand because they own all the great ideas and nobody else has any, well it will be very interesting seeing how that plays out. It has not worked that way in any endeavor my entire adult life.

Such hyperbole. CPJ is one man and you are turning that into CGC saying nobody else has great ideas. Don't be so hysterical.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Such hyperbole. CPJ is one man and you are turning that into CGC saying nobody else has great ideas. Don't be so hysterical.
It’s not hyperbole. Our staff is inexperienced. One of its failings is an inability to recognize weaknesses and take appropriate action. I could assess that unfavorably- they recognize they need help but are unwilling to reach out to anyone because of pride.

Everybody knows we got problems. Nobody needs to read a message board to figure any of this out. Our competition uses our weaknesses against us on the playing field, in recruiting, etc. How our staff reacts to it is what will make or break this regime.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It’s not hyperbole. Our staff is inexperienced. One of its failings is an inability to recognize weaknesses and take appropriate action. I could assess that unfavorably- they recognize they need help but are unwilling to reach out to anyone because of pride.

Everybody knows we got problems. Nobody needs to read a message board to figure any of this out. Our competition uses our weaknesses against us on the playing field, in recruiting, etc. How our staff reacts to it is what will make or break this regime.

How do you know our staff hasn't reached out to anyone? Just because they didn't reach out to one specific person? Why would they consult someone who did things completely the polar opposite of how they do them? I would imagine CGC would be more likely to reach out to somebody like Coach O'Leary.

Glad CPJ is enjoying his retirement. I don't begrudge him consulting for anyone he wants. He did a job, was paid well, retired wealthy and can do whatever he wants with his time.

Last edited:

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I work with a lot of guys who are spending a year contracting after retirement. They are getting extra pay to share their knowledge and experience. Most of these guys never worked a day in management. We see it all the time in coaching. Some consult, some go on TV. Saban collects former coaches as consultants on his staff. You're right on a lot of the recruiting stuff, but you're wrong on this one. It's not delusional to leverage your skills for lucrative part time gigs once you are retired. It's smart, and no one ever accused CPJ of being stupid...
Still disagree and think it Doesn’t make sense to hang around at the place you quit while someone else is trying to build a completely new culture.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
this doesn't show all the plays. But what you will see is twirl motion, arc blocking, veer etc and ingrams runs when they don't account for him will look really familiar

Is it the second play where they option run from pistol? That looked very familiar and brings back good memories but I noticed that not one single blocker cut blocked. I'm not watching much of the pro game except for here and there of the Falcons. Does anyone cut block in the pros in these options plays?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Is it the second play where they option run from pistol? That looked very familiar and brings back good memories but I noticed that not one single blocker cut blocked. I'm not watching much of the pro game except for here and there of the Falcons. Does anyone cut block in the pros in these options plays?

No only on the Jet sweep

This is primarily zone blocking

Midline

giphy.gif

Lead/Load option
giphy.gif

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Ibe covered it. The ravens have run some veer blocking concepts this year but cutting is rarer in general in the pros and you really don't cut with the tighter splits, but even when we ran the pistol stuff we did more zone blocking. Unfortunately no one is doing an "every ravens offensive play" so finding the individual plays is harder than some of ours.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ibe covered it. The ravens have run some veer blocking concepts this year but cutting is rarer in general in the pros and you really don't cut with the tighter splits, but even when we ran the pistol stuff we did more zone blocking. Unfortunately no one is doing an "every ravens offensive play" so finding the individual plays is harder than some of ours.

It was the same drive blocking scheme

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
I really wish CPJ had committed to running both under center and shotgun. The promise of opening up the playbook landed us Vad Lee, Justin Thomas, and Jaylend Ratliffe. Who knows how the narrative could have changed.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

good job. I was going to say the same. I dont recall ever zoning under cpj. Ever. Ever. Not in the proper sense.

ravens do what i wished cpj did for a decade. Convert to a modern zone scheme and option off it. Search my post history if no one believes me. It helps balance the O to pass; which the ravens do too lol

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Jeez. On that last gif there were two perfect cut blocks. One by ab one by ol.

that second one by ol; perfectly explains why we needed smaller faster linemen as a general rule. I don’t remember who 70 was then. But damn what a block.