Uni combo

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If Adidas is not going to do gold correctly, then I welcome navy. I will never buy anything with "mustard gold" as a main color. White and navy with a little gold trim beats "mustard gold" all the way to hell and back.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
If Adidas is not going to do gold correctly, then I welcome navy. I will never buy anything with "mustard gold" as a main color. White and navy with a little gold trim beats "mustard gold" all the way to hell and back.

Do we have mustard gold now though? It’s sand/khaki. I’d say we’ve had mustard gold at times before Adidas, but not now.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

The color gold varies so much in all forms, because the actual material is shiny and looks different under different lighting. I mean look how the same object looks in 3 different pictures because of angles/lighting
9A92364F-BE87-4F54-95BD-F3ADEB1B450F.jpeg

CD0271BB-4212-4348-9317-69D99F79E3F5.jpeg

B260D2B8-6175-4272-B8E4-36AD669A2C4E.jpeg

What Tech and teams like the Saints, FSU, Vandy, UCLA, etc. call gold is more like the top picture. Teams like Iowa, Notre Dame, the Packers, Mizzou, LSU, Baylor, etc. use a gold color that more resembles the second picture. The gold facemask Tech has been wearing looks like the bottom picture. If you want to be technical, Tech’s official color is “old gold” which has now been replaced by “Tech gold”. But old gold looks way more brownish than yellow. Look how different it was to USCs gold:
742EF59C-35FB-434D-A4FC-97D5243968ED.jpeg

I personally like the color that ND uses, and that Russel used for these unis:
8D522929-86FB-4785-862B-06433E6CB3B7.jpeg

It’s a little “mustardy” but it looks a helluva lot better than this:
A54FD0EC-5F4B-4580-861F-18EA561F4EB5.jpeg

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
The color gold varies so much in all forms, because the actual material is shiny and looks different under different lighting. I mean look how the same object looks in 3 different pictures because of angles/lighting
View attachment 7324
View attachment 7325
View attachment 7326

What Tech and teams like the Saints, FSU, Vandy, UCLA, etc. call gold is more like the top picture. Teams like Iowa, Notre Dame, the Packers, Mizzou, LSU, Baylor, etc. use a gold color that more resembles the second picture. The gold facemask Tech has been wearing looks like the bottom picture. If you want to be technical, Tech’s official color is “old gold” which has now been replaced by “Tech gold”. But old gold looks way more brownish than yellow. Look how different it was to USCs gold:
View attachment 7327

View attachment 7328
View attachment 7329

I think if our current sand jerseys had a sheen/metallic finish to them, it would at least be acceptable. We actually have two “Tech golds”. One metallic, one not. Take one of our white jerseys with gold numbers and look at the gold used in the numbers. It has a sheen to it and looks much better. If the entire jersey could have that, and not be flat/matte as it is (which looks like a pair of khaki pants), I think a lot of us would be happier with the result.

28f59e7df2527cfbc73fa30080623cb7.plist

View attachment 7324
View attachment 7325
View attachment 7326

View attachment 7327

View attachment 7328
View attachment 7329
I have watched parts of several LSU games this year, and what they claim as gold is just pure YELLOW; there is nothing gold about it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think if our current sand jerseys had a sheen/metallic finish to them, it would at least be acceptable. We actually have two “Tech golds”. One metallic, one not. Take one of our white jerseys with gold numbers and look at the gold used in the numbers. It has a sheen to it and looks much better. If the entire jersey could have that, and not be flat/matte as it is (which looks like a pair of khaki pants), I think a lot of us would be happier with the result.

28f59e7df2527cfbc73fa30080623cb7.plist
Very true. I actually saved all of these images because I was going to use them in a post yesterday, but ended up not doing it because the thread had moved on. I noticed that the actual shade of “gold” on this years gold jerseys is actually very similar to the Calvin era gold jerseys. The new ones just don’t have the sheen on them that the old ones did, making them look flat and brown, instead of shiny and gold.
7CA85628-05BA-43F5-BE24-D9748032B5CC.jpeg

E4129BF9-13F0-469C-BC10-38419E6F315B.jpeg

A lot of people like those Calvin era unis, and I do too. I don’t mind the new ones either, but I do think they could be way better. But like you said, that “shine” on Calvin’s makes it appear way more gold, and it makes it match the helmet better.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I have watched parts of several LSU games this year, and what they claim as gold is just pure YELLOW; there is nothing gold about it.
Lol I’m with you all the way on that. I actually hate when teams refer to pure yellow as gold, but they could say the same about our current sand/khaki/pale yellow. There are actually a lot of teams in all sports upset with the way manufacturers are butchering their colors. Specifically Laker fans hate the gold they currently wear, but it doesn’t stop at gold. Texas fans think their orange is lighter than it should be. Until they got a makeover this year, Jets fans were upset with their green. I’m sure there are others, but those are off the top of my head. I think the biggest reason is because of consumer culture now. Everything worn on the field has to be produced in massive quantities to sell. So manufacturers are taking shortcuts to make uniforms in colors that will be easier to mass produce. Manufacturers used to only make uniforms/apparel for the actual teams, now they have to make millions of items for fans as well.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Gold is not hard to match between cloth and paint if you try. My golf cart vendor painted my cart to be gold and it turned out mustard or mustard looking. I went to paint shop and told painter I wanted it same color as the gold in the cloth GT on my seat. He used swatches with holes in the middle and matched it perfectly, reference my avatar.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Very true. I actually saved all of these images because I was going to use them in a post yesterday, but ended up not doing it because the thread had moved on. I noticed that the actual shade of “gold” on this years gold jerseys is actually very similar to the Calvin era gold jerseys. The new ones just don’t have the sheen on them that the old ones did, making them look flat and brown, instead of shiny and gold.
View attachment 7330
View attachment 7331
A lot of people like those Calvin era unis, and I do too. I don’t mind the new ones either, but I do think they could be way better. But like you said, that “shine” on Calvin’s makes it appear way more gold, and it makes it match the helmet better.

Yeah. My biggest issue with our cloth “gold” is that it’s not metallic/no sheen. Gold is a metal. Gold has a sheen. It’s why our helmet decals or helmet paint looks correct, but the cloth doesn’t. If you sand blasted our helmets (or an actual gold bar) and took the sheen off, you end up with some form of khaki/light yellow-tan. “Gold” needs to be metallic. Those Calvin jerseys are pretty ode to perfect for me.

As long as Adidas makes matte gold/sand, it’s not “gold”. It’s tan. Just like silver with no sheen isn’t silver, it’s gray.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Just to play devil’s advocate for a minute though, one issue that is always present when using gold as a color, is if we did make our jerseys more metallic like the Calvin version pictured above is that you’d probably still have a metallic and non-metallic variant. If our current jerseys were just like those Calvins, would many fans buy and wear a polo shirt/sweatshirt/hoodie that looked exactly like that material and have the shine/sheen to it? I would if available, but I really doubt many would. And virtually no one would wear such a shirt outside of game day to work/the office/etc. Heck, many Tech fans don’t/won’t wear our current “gold” items now. Just look in BDS during any game...even our student section is more blue than gold typically. The best looking thing in the stands is usually the gold/white jackets that I think the Reck Club wears...I’d love to have one of those.

So even if we went with a gold jersey material that had shine/sheen, which I’d personally love, I think we still end up with a non-metallic version for most of the fan gear. And then would it sell well, when gold is already a poor seller, if it didn’t match the look of the jerseys the team wears?

This is probably why a lot of teams use a non metallic yellow (and call it gold) instead of an actual gold. At least the color can be consistent from players to fans, helmet to cloth.

Just to play devil’s advocate for a minute though, one issue that is always present when using gold as a color, is if we did make our jerseys more metallic like the Calvin version pictured above is that you’d probably still have a metallic and non-metallic variant. If our current jerseys were just like those Calvins, would many fans buy and wear a polo shirt/sweatshirt/hoodie that looked exactly like that material and have the shine/sheen to it? I would if available, but I really doubt many would. And virtually no one would wear such a shirt outside of game day to work/the office/etc. Heck, many Tech fans don’t/won’t wear our current “gold” items now. Just look in BDS during any game...even our student section is more blue than gold typically. The best looking thing in the stands is usually the gold/white jackets that I think the Reck Club wears...I’d love to have one of those.

So even if we went with a gold jersey material that had shine/sheen, which I’d personally love, I think we still end up with a non-metallic version for most of the fan gear. And then would it sell well, when gold is already a poor seller, if it didn’t match the look of the jerseys the team wears?

This is probably why a lot of teams use a non metallic yellow (and call it gold) instead of an actual gold. At least the color can be consistent from players to fans, helmet to cloth.
The LSU uniforms, though yellow, and not gold, don't have a sheen, but they do "pop" better than the "sand gold" we are currently using. So maybe they gold jerseys don't have to have a sheen about them, but they should still "pop", and if they did, then IMO fans would be more likely to wear that shade of gold in a shirt than they might be a gold with sheen.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
If history keeps repeating itself, several of the pressers the coach was doing he had on the specific color uni we would be wearing that week.

If that is true for this week, dont be disappointed if we are wearing all black, because he had on an awesome black shirt that said "ATLiens"....looked awesome

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
The LSU uniforms, though yellow, and not gold, don't have a sheen, but they do "pop" better than the "sand gold" we are currently using. So maybe they gold jerseys don't have to have a sheen about them, but they should still "pop", and if they did, then IMO fans would be more likely to wear that shade of gold in a shirt than they might be a gold with sheen.

Oh I agree. LSU does pop, but it’s a much more vibrant yellow/base color than we use. I think our matching issue is like I said, the fact that we are trying to match a metallic gold. The paint on the helmets is metallic/contains flake, and so does the vinyl decals. Unless you use a cloth (for fan apparel) that also has this metallic look, you’ll always end up with a different color. When you take the metal flake out of our helmets or decals, it fundamentally changes the color. Take that out, and our gold becomes a flat tan/khaki/sand.

Here’s a photo from my helmet from that Calvin Johnson Virginia game in 2006. You can see the metal flake even in the center stripe, especially as the thin decal tape covers this vent hole.

3303ebf6b37cba8b743e56d4f551294e.jpg

A more current representation of our current gold (another display helmet) shows the metal flake in the paint as well.

5e403990129a5dc11b9caaf06e7ba51d.jpg

Unless we incorporate this metal flake/sheen into a fabric (there is thread that does this, look at the Calvin jerseys), we will never match from paint to cloth. And taking the metal flake out changes the color completely, as it reflects light totally differently.

LSUs yellow is non metallic, easy to match from paint to cloth, even if the helmets have a shine (clear coat). The base color is the same.

Anyway...enough of this. lol.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
If we use Gold shirts & White pants, it will look like an abortion without White Hats.

That’s why we wore white hats when we wore the sand jerseys earlier this year. The metallic helmets right next to the sand, non metallic jerseys is not a match at all. Here is our actual sand/gold basketball jersey (should be the same material and color as our gold football jerseys) next to a replica helmet from last year (assuming this is the same helmet paint that’s used this year).

b78bc70ab02d50239ab9422c8952069f.jpg

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That’s why we wore white hats when we wore the sand jerseys earlier this year. The metallic helmets right next to the sand, non metallic jerseys is not a match at all. Here is our actual sand/gold basketball jersey (should be the same material and color as our gold football jerseys) next to a replica helmet from last year (assuming this is the same helmet paint that’s used this year).

b78bc70ab02d50239ab9422c8952069f.jpg
Is that one of the replica jerseys from last year? I remember those looking almost beige and really off from anything else that was offered by Adidas. They didn’t really resemble the actual on-court jerseys at all if I remember correctly. I think a regular t shirt would have been a better comparison, but I get the point you’re making. Flat cloth will never be able to perfectly match a metallic object. Next to that helmet the jersey looks more like a burlap sack than anything that would be considered gold.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 7330
View attachment 7331
So true