Uni combo

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Is that one of the replica jerseys from last year? I remember those looking almost beige and really off from anything else that was offered by Adidas. They didn’t really resemble the actual on-court jerseys at all if I remember correctly. I think a regular t shirt would have been a better comparison, but I get the point you’re making. Flat cloth will never be able to perfectly match a metallic object. Next to that helmet the jersey looks more like a burlap sack than anything that would be considered gold.

This is this year’s basketball jersey, just released a few weeks ago. I’d say it’s the most up to date Adidas thing we have, as it’s literally the most recent thing of ours they’ve made.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Through dying on a hill. They've decided that blue is equal to white and gold and that's just the way it's going to be. I'll continue to wear gold and white to every game like an idiot.

At this point it's really time to change the fight song.
We’ve tied our sinking ship to the hope of out-factorying the factories. Let’s watch and see what happens.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have watched parts of several LSU games this year, and what they claim as gold is just pure YELLOW; there is nothing gold about it.

Yes, but why do we care what they call their colors?

And that begs the question- why are we called Yellow Jackets instead of Gold Jackets? Remember the origins of the appellation. Where Tech men called out to wear their Yellow colors or Gold colors?

Maybe we should, better than teams like LSU, actually wear yellow instead of Gold?

Had nothing to do with an insect. Why do we have a “Buzz” mascot when it has nothing to do with our original mascot names or colors?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

And that begs the question- why are we called Yellow Jackets instead of Gold Jackets? Remember the origins of the appellation. Where Tech men called out to wear their Yellow colors or Gold colors?

Maybe we should, better than teams like LSU, actually wear yellow instead of Gold?

Had nothing to do with an insect. Why do we have a “Buzz” mascot when it has nothing to do with our original mascot names or colors?

I’ve actually thought a lot of these same thoughts. I guess “gold” seems classier maybe?, but do think we would create more uniformity if our color actually was yellow. It would tie in more with Buzz, because I’ve had countless friends/acquaintances/customers (all non-Tech people) ask “why gold and white when yellowjackets are black and yellow?” Naturally they don’t know our history, and how we basically backed into the Buzz/Yellowjacket mascot.

Yellow would definitely be much easier to match and keep consistent from players to fans. Then fans might actually be able to wear “yellow jackets”.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Being a Tech fan I know where the Yellow Jacket name comes from but I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve been asked why are we the Yellow Jackets but wear gold and navy? Why do we have a car drive on the field that’s gold? What is a Ramblin Wreck?
Most people up here prefer Ramblin Wreck over our cartoonish Buzz. The school always seems to always get in its own way when it comes to marketing itself.....

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’ve actually thought a lot of these same thoughts. I guess “gold” seems classier maybe?, but do think we would create more uniformity if our color actually was yellow. It would tie in more with Buzz, because I’ve had countless friends/acquaintances/customers (all non-Tech people) ask “why gold and white when yellowjackets are black and yellow?” Naturally they don’t know our history, and how we basically backed into the Buzz/Yellowjacket mascot.

Yellow would definitely be much easier to match and keep consistent from players to fans. Then fans might actually be able to wear “yellow jackets”.
Lol. I almost posted the exact same thing at the same time as you.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Being a Tech fan I know where the Yellow Jacket name comes from but I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve been asked why are we the Yellow Jackets but wear gold and navy? Why do we have a car drive on the field that’s gold? What is a Ramblin Wreck?
Most people up here prefer Ramblin Wreck over our cartoonish Buzz. The school always seems to always get in its own way when it comes to marketing itself.....

I actually have zero issues with Buzz as a mascot. Love him actually. More so than an old car. Yellow jackets are super aggressive creatures. But even since a young age, I’ve been a little bothered by the slight disconnect of gold and white on the field, and a mascot in a suit (and is also naturally) that’s black and cheddar yellow. And we now have 3 official golds in our branding and style guide...Tech gold, metallic Tech gold, and Buzz gold (cheddar yellow). Along with white, black and navy. Good lord...two official mascots, 3 different golds, and 6 overall colors. With some of our sports teams using more navy than gold. We are a mess. A glance across our stadiums/arenas reflects this. Our basketball team just gave out solid navy shirts with white graphics to fans at the last game. Would a UGA fan ever expect to get a silver/gray and white shirt at a sporting event?

Although not really related to the topic of this thread, this is still a really interesting article about Tech traditions that someone just posted in FB. Most of it I was already familiar with, but there's some new stuff in it (at least for me), and it's always good to get a fresh new take on our history and traditions. One thing I had never heard before is the origin of "Ramblin' Wreck" as stated in the article ----
https://www.gtalumni.org/s/1481/alumni/17/magazine-pages.aspx?pgid=10515&gid=21&cid=27491

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I actually have zero issues with Buzz as a mascot. Love him actually. More so than an old car. Yellow jackets are super aggressive creatures. But even since a young age, I’ve been a little bothered by the slight disconnect of gold and white on the field, and a mascot in a suit (and is also naturally) that’s black and cheddar yellow. And we now have 3 official golds in our branding and style guide...Tech gold, metallic Tech gold, and Buzz gold (cheddar yellow). Along with white, black and navy. Good lord...two official mascots, 3 different golds, and 6 overall colors. With some of our sports teams using more navy than gold. We are a mess. A glance across our stadiums/arenas reflects this. Our basketball team just gave out solid navy shirts with white graphics to fans at the last game. Would a UGA fan ever expect to get a silver/gray and white shirt at a sporting event?
Yeah not much sense when it comes to branding at all

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow

The style guide you posted is an out of date link. Everything has been replaced with Tech gold.

None of this is difficult unless you want to overthink it. We never had a problem with this until we started jacking around with colors in the 80s.

Our colors are gold and white. Our mascot is a different color. This is no different than almost every other school with a mascot. It's not difficult. In the 50s and 60s there are lots of depictions of our mascot, yellow and black, wearing a white and gold sweater. There are no red and black Bulldogs or orange and blue Gators. Stop being ridiculous.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Just tell them it’s really hard to crowd surf the wreck. Crashing the wreck into the goalpost pregame was not cost effective. That’s why Buzz was created.
How about running a car into a player leading the team onto the field carrying an American flag. Man that was a bad day for Buzz.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
All that said, other than our mascot you don't see Buzz much of anywhere anymore. AA made a deliberate move several years ago to just about eliminate him on any merchandising. Not even included as a secondary logo in our graphics packages to Media.

And if the image does appear, there is no such thing as Buzz gold anymore, he's to be depicted in Tech gold and navy blue.

I don't agree with many of the "official" branding decisions but here is what is current and official:

http://www.gtathl.com/build/img/georgiatech_athletic_wordmark.pdf

https://comm.gatech.edu/brand/visual

I agree it's a mess... but it hasn't always been that way. As someone who collects a lot of vintage Tech memorabilia, prior to the 80s everything was in white and gold. Buzz could be black and yellow or white and gold, but there wasn't any yellow and black Tech stuff, or blue Tech stuff at all.

Last edited:

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
The style guide you posted is an out of date link. Everything has been replaced with Tech gold.

None of this is difficult unless you want to overthink it. We never had a problem with this until we started jacking around with colors in the 80s.

Our colors are gold and white. Our mascot is a different color. This is no different than almost every other school with a mascot. It's not difficult. In the 50s and 60s there are lots of depictions of our mascot, yellow and black, wearing a white and gold sweater. There are no red and black Bulldogs or orange and blue Gators. Stop being ridiculous.

As someone who has actually worked through an apparel company to license the GT marks/logo for co-branding, I know which style guide is still in use, and is in use by companies already making GT apparel and gear.

On this logo sheet right here, revision date 3/11/19 (should be most current), you can see across the top, under the “Athletic Marks” section, that there are 6 colors as I stated: Tech gold, Tech gold (metallic), Blue, Buzz Gold, Black, White.

https://licensing.gatech.edu/visual/art-sheet

Buzz gold is for use with the “Spirit Marks”, but our interlocking GT is also under that in buzz gold, so can be used that way. That’s why we still see Buzz Gold (cheddar gold) GTs on apparel, as well as the “newer” Tech gold.

And to top it off, they will still allow the use of “Vegas gold”, because that’s the thread that was used on the GT for the hats that I co-branded.

It’s complicated/difficult because it’s complicated from the top. There is no unity or standardization.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
As someone who has actually worked through an apparel company to license the GT marks/logo for co-branding, I know which style guide is still in use, and is in use by companies already making GT apparel and gear.

On this logo sheet right here, revision date 3/11/19 (should be most current), you can see across the top, under the “Athletic Marks” section, that there are 6 colors as I stated: Tech gold, Tech gold (metallic), Blue, Buzz Gold, Black, White.

https://licensing.gatech.edu/visual/art-sheet

Buzz gold is for use with the “Spirit Marks”, but our interlocking GT is also under that in buzz gold, so can be used that way. That’s why we still see Buzz Gold (cheddar gold) GTs on apparel, as well as the “newer” Tech gold.

And to top it off, they will still allow the use of “Vegas gold”, because that’s the thread that was used on the GT for the hats that I co-branded.

It’s complicated/difficult because it’s complicated from the top. There is no unity or standardization.

I concede that you are correct. That is the latest. So weird how much it conflicts with the branding announcement made in 2017 that was supposed to simplify things somewhat (but didn't go nearly far enough imo). So much fanfare back in 2017 and in 2019 right back where we started with a million variations.

From 2017:

http://www.gtathl.com/