#UNCvsGT Postgame

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After watching the condensed game replay, a couple things stood out to me:

-Our OL blocked pretty well for the most part. Rarely were they getting straight up beaten. Most of the plays where we got tacked in the backfield appeared to be due to miscommunication (unless Patenaude and Key intended to have slow developing naked run plays lol)
-Our defense wasn’t always dominating the LOS, but the pass rushers were relentless in trying to get to Howell, basically telling the OL “I’m not letting you off that easy!”
-Our defense as a whole played very disciplined. They made UNC beat us schematically, and even then made sure to limit the effectiveness of those plays.
-Our TEs didn’t get many targets, but they excelled in blocking. The Gibbs TD was made possible by Leonard mauling his guy.
-Our players had great situational awareness in general. Gibbs deviated from a zone read to make a key block for Sims when he sensed the play was blown up. Our LBs and DBs were sniffing out screens all night.
-Howell is still a damn good QB! He was on the money with most of his throws and punished us with his legs when he had the opportunity.
-UNC’s receivers and TEs are scary! They’re big, fast, and have good hands. Make no mistake; they would have shredded us if our coverage wasn’t on point.
-Downs would have been a great Yellowjacket. He seems like a mix of Gibbs and McGowan.
-Sims looked great when we could give him a little time in the pocket. He’s much improved from last year, but I worry how he’ll do when our OL struggles against better fronts.
-Kicking game looked good. We need to protect Shanahan better on punts though. Letting 2 get blocked is unacceptable.
-Officiating was bad. I don’t care whether it’s Targeting; if the defender hits the receiver before the ball arrives, that’s PI.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We need to protect Shanahan better on punts though. Letting 2 get blocked is unacceptable.
I didn't mention this in my impressions since ti was, overall, a good game. But, yes, this needs to stop. Now we are hitting field goals (Thank You, Jeebus) and we get punts blocked. The kicking game still has awhile to go.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Demetrius Knight makes Monday Night Football...in ignominious fashion for getting tackled by the turf monster on his fumble return for a certain TD. Come on, Man! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It's funny now that we won.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought it was a bad call on his part at the time and seemed to indicate a bit of panic on their part. It's not like the times when we went for it over the last 5 or 6 years on the opposing team's side of the field bc we knew we couldn't make a FG. Never let a home team underdog, esp. one who hasn't demonstrated that they were capable of winning, get a shot in the arm. If I were a UNC fan, I would have been upset with the call. Yeah, some people including Mack, will say you don't deserve to win anyways if you can't get a yard on 3 tries.
I understand your point, but Brown may be right. If you run three straight plays on must win situations and cannot gain one yard on any of the three, maybe you are not going to win whatever else happens.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
First game I was back in town for and able to make it to. After last week's Clemson game I was fired up for this one. But then after watching NC State dominate Clemson the whole game I was worried that we weren’t as good as that game made us look on paper and we would get blown out of the building. Really glad we came out and performed, it’s has fired up for the rest of the year and especially next year and beyond.

I also had a great time at the game. I don’t see how anybody can prefer the viewing experience at BDS more than MBS. Everything about the experience is better at MBS than BDS. The viewing angles are better. The seats are more comfortable. The concourses and concessions are way nicer. The scoreboard graphics are better. The halo board is way better than the Jumbotron at BDS. The music sounds better. The crowd noise is louder. The parking situation is better. The only thing BDS has over MBS is the campus atmosphere, and honestly I didn’t miss that nearly enough for me to think BDS is the superior venue.

I think they made 42,000 tickets available, and based on that number there was probably about 35k people there. Not nearly as much Carolina blue in the building as I thought there would be. Easily 80% of the crowd were Tech fans. There was energy in the stadium all night. More than any game Ive been to since the 2018 Miami game. It was a great spectacle. I think for the recruits that were there it will leave a very positive impact. I hope this game will bring the fans that were there back to BDS the rest of the year, and hopefully get some new butts in seats as well.

After last night I absolutely would not mind it if Tech played a whole season at MBS and gave BDS a revamp and a facelift. Lord knows it needs one.

When BDS is rockin' on a cool and clear autumn night with the lights of the city in the background, there is nothing better.

Of course it's not the better venue for football in general. This mayhem thing is a slam dunk especially hosting recruits in that atmosphere -- assuming we play like we did Saturday that is.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
When BDS is rockin' on a cool and clear autumn night with the lights of the city in the background, there is nothing better.

Of course it's not the better venue for football in general. This mayhem thing is a slam dunk especially hosting recruits in that atmosphere -- assuming we play like we did Saturday that is.
I agree, but BDS hasn’t been rockin for years. And if only 35k people are going to show up, MBS makes for a vastly superior atmosphere