#UNCvsGT Postgame

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
DEFENSE AGAIN. I was going bananas last night over our defense. My 9 year old daughter finally watched a game with me and was invested and got to see us play lights out.

I was in total shock over this defense last night. Incredible job by the players and coaches. Having a defense to LEAN on feels amazing. Let’s enjoy this win and back our boys this upcoming weekend

The best part of those clips is we had all the sacks with only bringing 4 and occasionally only 3. Thacker did a fantastic job of changing up the rush so UNC didn't know who the 4th rusher was so that no one knew who to block.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a good bit of coverage sacks. QB has enough time to throw, but couldn't find anyone often. This works well for the strength of our defense (playing 3-3-5) until we play a team that runs well, but even then lb's can fit the holes. Am I misunderstanding this?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some quick hits on the defensive side:

If you're gonna give CGC sh!t for stinking it up against NIU, you have to give him credit where credit is due: Our team has made improvements over the last 2 weeks that I didn't think I would see. Hindsight is 20/20, but Clemson will probably be viewed as a lost opportunity. That said, I think the Clemson game gave our guys the confidence that they can stand toe-toe with anyone regardless of the outcome of the Clemson-NC State game. UNC is a VERY good offensive team and CGC's defense just wrecked them

Speaking of wrecking things, CGC came to GT with a reputation for high level defenses. We've heard over and over that CGC's defense can just wreck opponents. This game was the first game where I sat there said to everyone: THIS is the defense CGC has been setting up for. Getting to the QB, and making plays behind the LOS. Quite possibly the best defensive game from GT in over a generation. We did it against a future high round NFL QB. All parts of our defense worked together as sum greater than its parts, but that front 7 had one of the best games I can remember from a GT defense in a LONG LONG time. I was livid when we had an unsportsman penalty on the Howell sack...I was screaming that our guys needed more discipline because that sack gave UNC the ball back. I thought that may have given UNC momentum back, but luckily our defense amped it up. Howell had time, but our secondary did an outstanding job of giving our front 7 time to make plays.

The kids are growing up. Look at who made defensive plays in the backfield. A good majority of them are lower classman. Charlie Thomas and Quez Jackson are JRs, but Jared Ivey, Josh Robinson, Domineck, Kyle Kennard, JaQuan Griffin, are all sophomores and freshmen. This defensive front is only going to get more talented with future recruiting classes, and they are only going to get better with experience and development. Charlie Thomas was an absolute MONSTER: 2.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFLs. WOW. Freshman Kennard with 2 Sacks and 3 TFLs. WOW. This bodes well for us, and is going to be a problem for the rest of the ACC.

After the Clemson game I felt a bit better about our chances against UNC. After this UNC win? I have optimism that 6 wins and a bowl is VERY attainable.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He changed from number 57 with his name on it to I think 94 with no name. The number change made him look like a tackle and strengthened the deception. 57 lined up on the end, and not covered up by a receiver, would have stood out as odd and given the play away.
To be eligible receiver he could not wear 57. Those numbers are for non eligible interior lineman so the refs can call illegal lineman downfield from their numbers?

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
First game I was back in town for and able to make it to. After last week's Clemson game I was fired up for this one. But then after watching NC State dominate Clemson the whole game I was worried that we weren’t as good as that game made us look on paper and we would get blown out of the building. Really glad we came out and performed, it’s has fired up for the rest of the year and especially next year and beyond.

I also had a great time at the game. I don’t see how anybody can prefer the viewing experience at BDS more than MBS. Everything about the experience is better at MBS than BDS. The viewing angles are better. The seats are more comfortable. The concourses and concessions are way nicer. The scoreboard graphics are better. The halo board is way better than the Jumbotron at BDS. The music sounds better. The crowd noise is louder. The parking situation is better. The only thing BDS has over MBS is the campus atmosphere, and honestly I didn’t miss that nearly enough for me to think BDS is the superior venue.

I think they made 42,000 tickets available, and based on that number there was probably about 35k people there. Not nearly as much Carolina blue in the building as I thought there would be. Easily 80% of the crowd were Tech fans. There was energy in the stadium all night. More than any game Ive been to since the 2018 Miami game. It was a great spectacle. I think for the recruits that were there it will leave a very positive impact. I hope this game will bring the fans that were there back to BDS the rest of the year, and hopefully get some new butts in seats as well.

After last night I absolutely would not mind it if Tech played a whole season at MBS and gave BDS a revamp and a facelift. Lord knows it needs one.
Brings up a decent topic that might be very unpopular.

I think GT is due for a completely new stadium or better yet move to MBS permanently. BDS has so many bandaids on it. :-/

Also, good point in trying MBS for a season. The Hurricanes as bad as they are, seem to do fine in Sun Life whatever. That isn’t what’s holding that program down. Pitt does fine in Heinz and I enjoyed going there for a game.

Not trying to start a debate but playing in MBS might certify permanently GT is Atlanta’s team and bring better tailgating, room to grow etc.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He can, but he has to report as a tackle eligible, which is announced. He changed jerseys so as to not have to be announced.
That was what I was wondering. And I thought there was a rule against that.

This is all from memory so I may be confusing a few details but 50 years ago Tech was playing Michigan State which was running a wishbone offense. Tech had an outstanding linebacker (Joe Harris?) who they put in as a safety wearing a safety numbered jersey. He was the spy who came up fast once the play was committed. Michigan State never caught on and Tech pulled the upset but soon after a rule was made against disguising a player out of position. Had Michigan State caught on they could have burned the linebacker on some fly routes.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Techster said:
The kids are growing up. Look at who made defensive plays in the backfield. A good majority of them are lower classman. Charlie Thomas and Quez Jackson are JRs, but Jared Ivey, Josh Robinson, Domineck, Kyle Kennard, JaQuan Griffin, are all sophomores and freshmen. This defensive front is only going to get more talented with future recruiting classes, and they are only going to get better with experience and development. Charlie Thomas was an absolute MONSTER: 2.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFLs. WOW. Freshman Kennard with 2 Sacks and 3 TFLs. WOW. This bodes well for us, and is going to be a problem for the rest of the ACC.

Techster I would like to add one other name to your list that I think is going to be a bigtime player in this group and that is the 17 yr old Biggers, that kid pushes the center of that Ol back in the QBs face and has to make him(QB) feel a lot of pressure. There are others in that nose type position that also seem to create a lot of push at times.
I too never would have thought we would see that kind of pressure from our guys in the front 4. I've heard it said that CGC defenses are very lane disciplined and he disguises where they are coming from really well, it certainly looked that way last night.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Some quick hits on the defensive side:

If you're gonna give CGC sh!t for stinking it up against NIU, you have to give him credit where credit is due: Our team has made improvements over the last 2 weeks that I didn't think I would see. Hindsight is 20/20, but Clemson will probably be viewed as a lost opportunity. That said, I think the Clemson game gave our guys the confidence that they can stand toe-toe with anyone regardless of the outcome of the Clemson-NC State game. UNC is a VERY good offensive team and CGC's defense just wrecked them

Speaking of wrecking things, CGC came to GT with a reputation for high level defenses. We've heard over and over that CGC's defense can just wreck opponents. This game was the first game where I sat there said to everyone: THIS is the defense CGC has been setting up for. Getting to the QB, and making plays behind the LOS. Quite possibly the best defensive game from GT in over a generation. We did it against a future high round NFL QB. All parts of our defense worked together as sum greater than its parts, but that front 7 had one of the best games I can remember from a GT defense in a LONG LONG time. I was livid when we had an unsportsman penalty on the Howell sack...I was screaming that our guys needed more discipline because that sack gave UNC the ball back. I thought that may have given UNC momentum back, but luckily our defense amped it up. Howell had time, but our secondary did an outstanding job of giving our front 7 time to make plays.

After the Clemson game I felt a bit better about our chances against UNC. After this UNC win? I have optimism that 6 wins and a bowl is VERY attainable.
One of my friends who is a high school OL coach and ugag fan said in 2019 that he was worried about what CGC could do for Tech's defense. After we played them that year, he said that ugag won purely on talent and that CGC actually outschemed their offense which made Fromm look really bad. Well, CGC is starting to get the talent he needs now and the defense is starting to come into shape. I hope we keep it up next week against Pitt and get some revenge on Pickett.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Techster said:

Techster I would like to add one other name to your list that I think is going to be a bigtime player in this group and that is the 17 yr old Biggers, that kid pushes the center of that Ol back in the QBs face and has to make him(QB) feel a lot of pressure. There are others in that nose type position that also seem to create a lot of push at times.
I too never would have thought we would see that kind of pressure from our guys in the front 4. I've heard it said that CGC defenses are very lane disciplined and he disguises where they are coming from really well, it certainly looked that way last night.

Yup, lots of young talent on this team. It appears the light bulb went on for some of them. A few posters have wisely pointed out that CGC's recruiting classes probably will not bear fruit for another year or so. I think we can see the potential of this roster over the next few years. The staff is also putting together probably their most impressive recruiting class right now.

Defensive line personnel has always been a thorn in our side...but it's looking like we may soon experience an embarassment of riches once the young kids are fully developed.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I mentioned this in an earlier post, but this was fun to read in the UNC papers:

The game’s turning point highlighted their inability to establish the run.

Three consecutive plays, trailing just 13-7 in the third quarter, Carolina tried to get one yard on its own 41. And for three straight plays they were denied including Howell being dropped for a two-yard loss on fourth-and-1.

“I pulled it, I was trying to make a play and you know they stopped us, so credit those guys,” said Howell, of his read on the play. “But fourth-and-1, we should be confident to be able to go for it every time and have confidence that we can make it.”

Ironically, that’s part of the reason why Brown elected to go for it despite being in UNC territory. He was looking for something to give a bit of a confidence boost for the offense in the second half — especially after the Heels had two fumbles and a missed field goal in the second quarter.

The Heels had easily picked up a first down in the second quarter when they faced a fourth-and-1. And Brown said it would send an “awful message,” to punt in that situation.

“If you go for a second-and-1, a third-and-1, a fourth-and-1 and can’t make it, you’re going to get beat,” Brown said. “I mean, that is really hard not to make and we were able to accomplish that tonight so I knew we were in trouble when we couldn’t do that.”

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I mentioned this in an earlier post, but this was fun to read in the UNC papers:

The game’s turning point highlighted their inability to establish the run.

Three consecutive plays, trailing just 13-7 in the third quarter, Carolina tried to get one yard on its own 41. And for three straight plays they were denied including Howell being dropped for a two-yard loss on fourth-and-1.

“I pulled it, I was trying to make a play and you know they stopped us, so credit those guys,” said Howell, of his read on the play. “But fourth-and-1, we should be confident to be able to go for it every time and have confidence that we can make it.”

Ironically, that’s part of the reason why Brown elected to go for it despite being in UNC territory. He was looking for something to give a bit of a confidence boost for the offense in the second half — especially after the Heels had two fumbles and a missed field goal in the second quarter.

The Heels had easily picked up a first down in the second quarter when they faced a fourth-and-1. And Brown said it would send an “awful message,” to punt in that situation.

“If you go for a second-and-1, a third-and-1, a fourth-and-1 and can’t make it, you’re going to get beat,” Brown said. “I mean, that is really hard not to make and we were able to accomplish that tonight so I knew we were in trouble when we couldn’t do that.”

I thought it was a bad call on his part at the time and seemed to indicate a bit of panic on their part. It's not like the times when we went for it over the last 5 or 6 years on the opposing team's side of the field bc we knew we couldn't make a FG. Never let a home team underdog, esp. one who hasn't demonstrated that they were capable of winning, get a shot in the arm. If I were a UNC fan, I would have been upset with the call. Yeah, some people including Mack, will say you don't deserve to win anyways if you can't get a yard on 3 tries.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
First, congratulations to the team and the coaches. I didn't think UNC should have been ranked, but it is nice to defeat a ranked team. Our prospects for the rest of the year now look better and the pre-season prognostications for the ACC have been revealed as absolute crap. I'd say we have a good chance to win 6, maybe 7 games. My impressions:

1. I have been saying here for some time that the O would be more efficient if:

THE. COACHES. WOULD. LET. SIMS. RUN. MORE.

Well, QED, I'd say. And, mirabile dictu, when Sims runs more, he doesn't turn the ball over. We looked a lot like one of Bill Snyder's KSU teams last night and we should stick with that. Problem = it was obvious that the UNC DC didn't expect our QBs to run. After this game we won't have it so easy.

2. The D won the game for us. Any team that fumbles three times and loses all of them should lose. Any team that allows 8 (!) sacks should lose. Any team that allows 13 TFLs should lose. And any team that forces these kinds of errors should win and we did. The D hamstrung the UNC O for the whole game. It remains to be seen if this was because we are so much better or UNC so much worse then expected. I think it's a matter of our D, especially the DL, getting better, but the way this season is going in the ACC it is probably too early to tell.

3. I've noticed a more serious air on the sidelines for the last couple of games. Good. Let's keep that up.

Again, congratulations to the whole team and the coaches. More of that, please.