#UNCvsGT Postgame

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I’m response to Yeti-the call when Dontae was going down kept him from getting drilled by a guy. The UNC player let up when he heard the whistle.

And “play calling was meh when Yates was in”-sometimes if you have a playmaker(Sims) in there to execute, it makes the playcalling look a lot better…

Patenaude said in his presser that they intentionally saved some things in the QB run game to catch UNC off guard when he got in the game and give Jeff something they hadn't already seen to ease into the game. All that said, if Jeff executes the way he did Saturday Yates is always going to be well behind.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Just re-watched the condensed game (The replay is not showing up on espn for me to watch?). I totally forgot about a huge play.

4th quarter. 14:19 left to play. UNC had just scored, and was only down 27-13. GT ball, 4th down and 3. If we miss this, UNC gets the ball and momentum to cut it to one score. Sims hits a wide open McGowan for a quick out--first down. Next play--TD to Carter and we go up three scores.

HUGE PLAY. Nice throw by Sims and nice catch by #2. McGowen has been such a revelation at WR. He is so consistent and it seems like he is always open. He's a big part of this team.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Just re-watched the condensed game (The replay is not showing up on espn for me to watch?). I totally forgot about a huge play.

4th quarter. 14:19 left to play. UNC had just scored, and was only down 27-13. GT ball, 4th down and 3. If we miss this, UNC gets the ball and momentum to cut it to one score. Sims hits a wide open McGowan for a quick out--first down. Next play--TD to Carter and we go up three scores.

HUGE PLAY. Nice throw by Sims and nice catch by #2. McGowen has been such a revelation at WR. He is so consistent and it seems like he is always open. He's a big part of this team.

McGowan is just a solid dude. One of the best compliments in football.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
In the red zone I am puzzled about the multiple fad routes (when Yates is in last two games) to the corner of the end zone to a short receiver. None successful.
Yeah, I’ve thought the same thing. It’s a very low percentage play. Usually run by teams who are controlling the game or a team who doesn’t trust their QB to make a decision because it’s either a TD or incompletion. With GT going with athletic QB types we need to allow them to scramble and make plays with legs or arms. I hope we don’t see the fade again.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
CDP in his presser this week said they intentionally held off on QB draw and run packages while Yates was in, to save them for Sims. I think that may have been partly what they were doing there. It was an example of CDP being a half measure too cute for my taste, but it is what it is and he gets paid to Coach, while I get.. well.. buzzed on bourbon and craft beer and Arm chair QB with the added benefit of hindsight and no one knowing what I would do till after it happens and I comment on it. 🤣 I’ve got a good arrangement but the pay is ****e.

I heard others in chat suggesting it’s a higher percentage play when the coverage is tight and they’re bumping us off the snap to try to get a cheap PI flag - not sure if that was the thought process ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
CDP in his presser this week said they intentionally held off on QB draw and run packages while Yates was in, to save them for Sims. I think that may have been partly what they were doing there. It was an example of CDP being a half measure too cute for my taste, but it is what it is and he gets paid to Coach, while I get.. well.. buzzed on bourbon and craft beer and Arm chair QB with the added benefit of hindsight and no one knowing what I would do till after it happens and I comment on it. 🤣 I’ve got a good arrangement but the pay is ****e.

I heard others in chat suggesting it’s a higher percentage play when the coverage is tight and they’re bumping us off the snap to try to get a cheap PI flag - not sure if that was the thought process ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I saw an article last night...I can't recall where now or I'd link it...where someone broke down those QB draw plays. Two of Sims breakout runs were RPOs where the motioning flanker flows to right flat, and Sims just needs to read the MLB to see if he flows to cover the flanker screen or stays home. Both times the mike flowed to play-right to cover Gibbs (I think) and Sims shot up the middle for huge gains.

I suspect that was the type of RPO that might have been saved for Sims, as he has the speed to shoot the middle for huge gains by beating bad angles.

slugboy

Staff member
We do the same thing. Most of us didn’t say NIU was good—just that we played poorly.
I don’t think NIU is a good team, but we weren’t a good team when we played them. The GT team that beat UNC could be a good team, and played a good game, but good teams string together multiple good games in a row (Clemson counts for something)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We do the same thing. Most of us didn’t say NIU was good—just that we played poorly.
I don’t think NIU is a good team, but we weren’t a good team when we played them. The GT team that beat UNC could be a good team, and played a good game, but good teams string together multiple good games in a row (Clemson counts for something)
Agree. Which is why to me the Pitt game feels huge.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree. It's why I said "of course" :) Everyone seems to do that...say "We are a really good team and just had a bad day. The others guys are good, but really if we played them again we'd beat them." I'm not so sure with UNC. I think they are horribly over-rated...as usual.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We had 50% more yards than NIU and they had 7 non garbage 3 and outs. UNC can't make those statements.

slugboy

Staff member
This site is fantastic:

1633010223931.png

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

It was on ACC Network at 3 o'clock this morning. I would check there before ESPN.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing that’s always bothered me is the use of rankings when talking about wins or losses especially since we all know preseason rankings are biased. For instance, I could say we lost a close game to a top 10 team and beat a ranked opponent, etc. Or I could say we haven’t beaten anyone worth anything and lost to a team ranked 25th. I tend to go with post season rankings because, as UNC has shown, preseason polls are just BS. UNC was ranked highly before playing a single game because Mack Brown is an insider and UNC is part of the club. The season will show they suck at football. UGA has been pounding their chest for a month since they beat a soon to be unranked Clemson team. It’s just funny to me. For GT, we gotta simply keep winning these games against mediocre teams to get any love. UNC will jump us in the polls the minute they win another game.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
One thing that’s always bothered me is the use of rankings when talking about wins or losses especially since we all know preseason rankings are biased. For instance, I could say we lost a close game to a top 10 team and beat a ranked opponent, etc. Or I could say we haven’t beaten anyone worth anything and lost to a team ranked 25th. I tend to go with post season rankings because, as UNC has shown, preseason polls are just BS. UNC was ranked highly before playing a single game because Mack Brown is an insider and UNC is part of the club. The season will show they suck at football. UGA has been pounding their chest for a month since they beat a soon to be unranked Clemson team. It’s just funny to me. For GT, we gotta simply keep winning these games against mediocre teams to get any love. UNC will jump us in the polls the minute they win another game.

Like many of us on this board, myself included, people look for any evidence that supports what they believe. Confirmation Bias is the most insidious type of bias, because more than almost anything we want to have been right all along. Our egos are fragile things.

Media types are no different and are likely worse than many on this board. The moment they see evidence that supports what they had been paid to predict they'll be all over it...whether that is us losing a game or UNC winning a game. "Howell puts the team on his back and rights the ship" is a story that has likely already been half-written. The media types had crowned Howell one of the big things this year, and any evidence to the contrary is seen as an outlier while the slightest glint of evidence to support it is touted over and over again by color commentators.