#UNCvsGT Postgame

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am going to ask this in all sincerity....when is the last game you recall GT playing where we looked (at worst) reasonably competent to (at best) proficient in all 3 phases of the game? Has it been 6 or 7 years??

Looking at back. The last really dominant good in all three phases ACC game was NcSt 2014, maybe? We won some games convincingly in 2016. We've had some good wins since. But our D and special teams were not so solid. Certainly not against a ranked ACC opponent.

slugboy

Staff member
I am going to ask this in all sincerity....when is the last game you recall GT playing where we looked (at worst) reasonably competent to (at best) proficient in all 3 phases of the game? Has it been 6 or 7 years??
I’m going to say 2006

It depends on “reasonably competent” vs “good” on defense. We haven’t been good on defense since about 2006.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

Lemme tell you som’, lemme tell you som, lemme tell you som,
Best team move!
Game day!
Lots of good in this game. My favorite was the fact that on 2nd and short, 3rd and short and 4th and short, when everyone knows UNC is going to try and run it to pick up a few yards and first down, we just shut them down completely, multiple runs in a row. When has that happened before?
that was my favorite series of the game. Totally imposed our will. Haven’t seen that in a long time

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
What a great night. Had both my sons with me. Stadium seemed to be about half full. Some Carolina blue, but the Tech faithful turned out.
* The stadium sound & graphics package was all GT, definitely a home-town advantage. Kudos to GT media for adapting the BDS graphics and game videos to the roof-level ribbon board. Compare it to the TN game a few years ago when the Benz was considered a neutral site, and both teams were equally promoted.
* The enclosure of the stadium facilitated much louder fan noise, vs open stands at BDS. At times, the noise was deafening. If the roof had not been open it would have been even louder. And, coupled with the great play and end result, the crowd was highly energized and the players fed off this too.
I agree with the post above. Tech fans were energized.

Some takeaways,

Made all field goals and extra points. (Even converted a 2 pointer)
Defense collectively had their best performance. Thacker's (new) defense was impressive.
Donte Smith is a gamer. What a shame the refs blew the whistle. (Guys, they are ACC refs and are consistently horrible) He is elusive (slippery). He just seems to squirt through holes that aren't there.
Carter made a big league catch for a TD. Lots of contact with the DB and the Tech receivers. Refs let it go.
No fumbles or interceptions. What a difference that makes. Howell's fumbles changed momentum in my opinion.
Sims won his starting job back.
Four wins away from a bowl.

Still needs work

Collins game management
Not sure how the offensive line will grade out, but seemed like they did not get a good push.
Coverage. DBs still look confused on some coverages. I must temper any criticism. Carolina only had 3 receivers in patterns and Howell had to check down often leading to sacks. So the DBs were covering well. Need better communication.
Dancing on the sidelines. Why?

My criticism after the NIU game has turned into optimism for the rest of the season. It was actually fun watching Tech beat a quality team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I believe interior linemen have to wear certain numbers (I believe 50-90?) If they want to line up as an eligible receiver they must : change numbers? report to the ref first? or both?
He changed from number 57 with his name on it to I think 94 with no name. The number change made him look like a tackle and strengthened the deception. 57 lined up on the end, and not covered up by a receiver, would have stood out as odd and given the play away.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He changed from number 57 with his name on it to I think 94 with no name. The number change made him look like a tackle and strengthened the deception. 57 lined up on the end, and not covered up by a receiver, would have stood out as odd and given the play away.
The play started with him covered up. Then the TE and another player switched tot the other side uncovering him. I think they were actually heavy on that side with 2 tackles and a TE a yard off the line

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Best game GT has played in years.
Yates played ok, but Sims was really on when he came in. Helps that apparently UNC's DC has no idea how to defend a running QB according to UNC fans.
I think it was right to start Yates, and I think the coaching staff picked the perfect time to play Sims.

Defense played really well.

we will win some and lose some the rest of the season - and i still don't have high hopes for ND and UGA, but given how everyone else is playing this team has the potential to make the ACC CG. Every game except for those two GT can win, or they can lose.

But things look alot better than they did in week 1.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to say I have never seen such contrast between two games as our first game and this. But as a long time Tech fan, I know that's not true.

When the players play well, suddenly Thacker and Pastenaude turn out to be smart after all

There may be one person even happier today than us fans -- Todd Stansbury.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
DEFENSE AGAIN. I was going bananas last night over our defense. My 9 year old daughter finally watched a game with me and was invested and got to see us play lights out.

I was in total shock over this defense last night. Incredible job by the players and coaches. Having a defense to LEAN on feels amazing. Let’s enjoy this win and back our boys this upcoming weekend

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
First game I was back in town for and able to make it to. After last week's Clemson game I was fired up for this one. But then after watching NC State dominate Clemson the whole game I was worried that we weren’t as good as that game made us look on paper and we would get blown out of the building. Really glad we came out and performed, it’s has fired up for the rest of the year and especially next year and beyond.

I also had a great time at the game. I don’t see how anybody can prefer the viewing experience at BDS more than MBS. Everything about the experience is better at MBS than BDS. The viewing angles are better. The seats are more comfortable. The concourses and concessions are way nicer. The scoreboard graphics are better. The halo board is way better than the Jumbotron at BDS. The music sounds better. The crowd noise is louder. The parking situation is better. The only thing BDS has over MBS is the campus atmosphere, and honestly I didn’t miss that nearly enough for me to think BDS is the superior venue.

I think they made 42,000 tickets available, and based on that number there was probably about 35k people there. Not nearly as much Carolina blue in the building as I thought there would be. Easily 80% of the crowd were Tech fans. There was energy in the stadium all night. More than any game Ive been to since the 2018 Miami game. It was a great spectacle. I think for the recruits that were there it will leave a very positive impact. I hope this game will bring the fans that were there back to BDS the rest of the year, and hopefully get some new butts in seats as well.

After last night I absolutely would not mind it if Tech played a whole season at MBS and gave BDS a revamp and a facelift. Lord knows it needs one.