#UNCvsGT Postgame

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We only outgained them by 25 yards, and they won the time of possession battle. Guess you gotta be careful which stats you pick.

I don’t know if ESPN’s QBR includes fumbles, but if it doesn’t, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see Howell come out of this match with the higher rating (even though Sims went 10/13, with some clutch passes; Yates was 50%). It’s pretty clear which QB had the better game.

Also, I didn’t think it was legal to change a number during the game, but UNC did that on their tackle-eligible 2 pt play.
You can do that but have to report it to the refs first.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Usually the defense is alerted to the play because the eligible player has to report into the head ref who signals to the other refs. Saw no signal and the game announcers missed it too. Also I thought it was illegal for a player to change jersey numbers to fool the D about his identity. Much more I could say but I’ll see if anyone else has an observation about the play.
I believe interior linemen have to wear certain numbers (I believe 50-90?) If they want to line up as an eligible receiver they must : change numbers? report to the ref first? or both?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

👀👀👀
Animated GIF

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I believe interior linemen have to wear certain numbers (I believe 50-90?) If they want to line up as an eligible receiver they must : change numbers? report to the ref first? or both?
Linemen (TGCGT) have to have a number between 50 and 79. If any player with one of these numbers is going to line up as an eligible receiver, they have to disclose to the officials or they're not eligible.

Changing uniforms used to be illegal and then it was legal. Not sure if it is or isn't anymore. I remember a defensive back that had the same number as an offensive player had to put on a new jersey with a different number when they came in for an offensive play. So, maybe it's still legal. Shame on us for not recognizing that the OL that was uncovered was wearing an eligible number and covering him.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
Just got home a bit ago - what a fun game! Excellent experience, good coaching, great energy and play from the team, and a RESOUNDING W! That. Was. Fun. And love Dontae Smith - after that punk call where he was blown down (and wasn’t), he was NOT going to be denied a first down on the next play. Jackets looking strong out there tonight.

May have yelled at the refs more than was healthy, though. Some of those calls - what in the world! But we overcame them handily - proud of that!

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Not only did we beat UNC, we also beat the ACC refs. Turn up!
I was at the game so didn't get the benefit of multiple replays or announcer observations but this was one of the worst officiated games I recall in recent history. Can't remember them all but clear Pass Interference when they held the right arm of our receiver in end zone early in the game - to the point our receiver had to try and catch with one arm. And then they hit our receiver before the ball got there on the play they initially called targeting against UNC. And a third PI on a long pass Sims attempted. Then the personal foul against our D lineman who hit their QB as he was still upright and fighting for more yards. And the bad call on Dontae Smith's run when they prematurely called him down. Maybe there were more.

Good news is it's usually the losing team griping about poor officiating - not the case tonight! They really did suck...And no sore loser syndrome here! We won big in spite of all the calls against us - that much more impressive... :)

Last edited:

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
A few other thoughts post-moterm:

* The stadium sound & graphics package was all GT, definitely a home-town advantage. Kudos to GT media for adapting the BDS graphics and game videos to the roof-level ribbon board. Compare it to the TN game a few years ago when the Benz was considered a neutral site, and both teams were equally promoted.
* The enclosure of the stadium facilitated much louder fan noise, vs open stands at BDS. At times, the noise was deafening. If the roof had not been open it would have been even louder. And, coupled with the great play and end result, the crowd was highly energized and the players fed off this too.
* ‘Money Down’ is less offensive when you’re winning and the crowd is jacked up!
* Sat very close to a large group of recruits who were on the sidelines during pre-game warmups.

Enough good comments have been previously made about the offense, here are a few about the Defense:

* During the fumble return by Knight, Brooks #0 was on the ground w Howell, he caused the fumble, and then (allegedly) gave Howell a big time ‘elbow smash’ in the helmet, WWE style.
* Good to see good plays from #31 Kennard and #90 Scott. Did not see big Zeek #88 on many plays.
* Ivey #15 and Domineck #42 have potential for big careers at GT. They are big-time disrupters. Ivey is only a 2nd year freshman, at 6’-6” he is playing at about 275 lbs, appears to be in great shape.
* Good to see NC #11 Downs fairly well contained for most of the game. He was heavily recruited by us a few years ago.
* NC TE #88 was difficult to cover- he had several big passes

But in the end, and it’s been said before, that this was the biggest win of CGC’s tenure, so to that, Cheers! 👏👏👏 It feels good to win this way, and it’s been a long time coming. Enjoy the next few days and then get ready…..for Pitt next Saturday!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Read lots of good stuff but would like to add kudos for #11 and #31 who were bringing good pressure. #11 late was especially disruptive with a real bull rush chasing Howell out of the pocket and #31 was right there on the pile on several of those sacks. Earlier in the game #95 was putting on some good pressure. We had a lot of young contributors on D helping Quez and C Thomas make plays. Hats off to the back 5 DBs (and their subs) who played well above my expectations.