UNCheat

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA is now officially the world's largest eunuch. Reliable sources say in addition to saying UNC was absolutely blameless in all respects, the NCAA issued a written apology for even bothering them. UNC is pondering the punishment it will levy on the eunuch in the room.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's what Bloomberg had to say, duh ....... https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...oves-once-again-it-doesn-t-care-about-classes

"...... What’s worse is that the NCAA has the gall to describe these fake classes as a “benefit” to the athletes. It was anything but. Crowder told investigators that she felt badly for those athletes who were clearly unqualified to do college-level work, and wanted to help them out. But she was actually depriving them of the one and only thing the university promised them in return for their labors on the playing fields: an education. Few scandals in the history of college sports have shined as bright a light on its moral bankruptcy as this one."

"The NCAA’s decision to punt on the UNC scandal is likely to have serious antitrust implications. Over the years, the NCAA has successfully warded off legal antitrust attacks by stressing the alleged connection between amateurism and education. Most recently, in its 2015 O’Bannon decision, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit upheld a federal court decision that the NCAA’s amateurism rules violated the federal antitrust laws. But it then went on to say that any cash compensation received by the players had to be “tethered” to an educational mission. In other words, it bought the NCAA’s rationale.

Post O’Bannon, another antitrust case against the NCAA is slowly making its way through the courts. The Jenkins case -- named for former Clemson football player Martin Jenkins, who is the lead plaintiff -- is a full-frontal assault on the NCAA’s compensation limits. The lawyer bringing the case, Jeffrey Kessler, has built his career advocating for professional athletes; he helped bring about free agency in professional football. He contends that even with the 9th Circuit’s decision, he has a good chance of winning.

He certainly has a better chance after Friday. The NCAA’s abdication simply undercuts its primary defense: that the integration of academics and athletics are pro-competitive.

Anybody paying close attention has long known that’s not true. Now even federal judges are likely to see it.
"

May the NCAA rot in hell.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
UNC has always been above the rules. There used to be certain officials that showed up every time Dean had a big game. Barry Jacobs' Fans' Guide to ACC BB had the records of ACC officials, and you could see the stats by each school/official. Duke under K has assumed a similar posture.
The rest of you folks may pull for ACC teams just because they are in the ACC, but I cannot understand why. I understand why Maryland went to the B1G. The B1G pulls in lots of money, most schools are good academically, and you don't have to put up with Tobacco Road. I wish they had invited us.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'll make a statement. You can choose to trust me or not, I don't care. I lead a major organization in a major (as in major) US corporation. I'm not going to name us because I am not representing my company in this statement. This is me, personally, as a senior leader in that organization. I will never, ever, hire a graduate of the University of North Carolina again due to their lack of integrity and clear unethical behavior in this matter. I can no longer trust the academic credentials of that university since they have admitted that any student may have taken those courses.

Done, dusted. I'll retire in ten or fifteen years. But don't expect to see any UNC grads hired in our division until I'm gone. Reputation tarnished in pursuit of championships.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So let me get this straight... a GT athlete receives $312 worth of clothing and the university gets a $100,000 fine and a vacated 2009 ACC championship, as well as 4 years probation. UNC has a far reaching, academic fraud scandal and gets basically nothing? Wow, well done, NCAA...
Just think. Part of our 100,000 dollars went towards funding a multiyear investigation that resulted in nothing.

The moral of the story is to not self report infractions. Claim any student would have received the same benefit and the NCAA cannot make a claim otherwise. Let's start offering classes where everyone gets $5,000 to "invest".

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the answers to those questions. Obviously the NCAA doesn't either. However, I would follow up with questions that to me seem more relevant and more concerning:

• Why is UNC still accredited if they allowed many people athlete and non-athlete to graduate based on bogus credits?
  • Why does UNC not vacate the degrees of EVERYONE athlete and non-athlete whose degree included and required those credit hours to graduate?
  • Why is UNC still a member of the AAU after admitting to providing grades, credits, and degrees to students who did absolutely no course work(in those classes)?
People seem to believe that the NCAA is the most powerful and important governing body in the world. That is definitely not the case. If people lost their degrees, there would be an uproar. Those people SHOULD lose their degrees because they didn't complete the work required for an actual degree. If UNC were to lose accreditation, I believe that would cause issues with federal grants and loan guarantees. I know it would cause issues with research grants. People believe that if UNC athletics are hammered, that that would prove something to the school. UNC athletics revenues are about $100million per year. UNC conducts about $1billion in resarch per year. How would it affect the school if accreditation were pulled and they lost $1billion per year in resarch? Athletic minded people think that it would hurt much worse to lose athletic funding. The school budget is about $3billion per year. How would it affect the school if federal grants weren't available and there were no federal guarantees on student loans to students there? They would most likely lose many-many students. Athletic minded people think that it would hurt much worse to lose athletic funding.

My biggest point is that an accredited member of the AAU admitted to giving out fake diplomas. I don't really care if the NCAA does anything or not based on the fact that the school was doing this not the athletic department. However, something more harsh SHOULD have been done to the school which admitted to producing worthless diplomas. UNC did even less for people with affected degrees than the degree mill so called schools that you see on late night television ads.
Who determines the accreditation of UNC? Is there a national board or is it state run?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
OK, so what action can we take other that b!tch?
I am not sure, but I would like to hear Todd's reaction to this in his podcast. As an AD, I hope he pushes for us to not lose competitive advantage because other schools (sic) offer fake classes.

I realize the ACC is not going to punish them due to Swofford, but the conference historically was strong academically and this to me is an embarrassment.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
UNC has always been above the rules. There used to be certain officials that showed up every time Dean had a big game. Barry Jacobs' Fans' Guide to ACC BB had the records of ACC officials, and you could see the stats by each school/official. Duke under K has assumed a similar posture.
The rest of you folks may pull for ACC teams just because they are in the ACC, but I cannot understand why. I understand why Maryland went to the B1G. The B1G pulls in lots of money, most schools are good academically, and you don't have to put up with Tobacco Road. I wish they had invited us.
I would love for GT to rejoin the SEC sometime in the future.;):cool:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The group investigating UNC was headed by a SEC guy. How many members of the committee come from schools with all sorts of useless courses. The last thing they want is some outsider looking at some of their own classes and questioning it's validity. I personally know 2 kids that took an AFAM course at UNC. One was a non athlete and the other a baseball player (he took 3 of them). It was an easy A. Never met just write a paper at the end of the semester. It was a joke. The secretary would often grade the papers. She would even call the advisor to see what grade was needed. The NCAA has become a joke.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
The group investigating UNC was headed by a SEcheaters. How many members of the committee come from schools with all sorts of useless courses. The last thing they want is some outsider looking at some of their own classes and questioning it's validity. I personally know 2 kids that took an AFAM course at UNC. One was a non athlete and the other a baseball player (he took 3 of them). It was an easy A. Never met just write a paper at the end of the semester. It was a joke. The secretary would often grade the papers. She would even call the advisor to see what grade was needed. The UNCAA has become a joke.
Fify