UNCheat

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

So IOW, when UNC saw that the NCAA was about to announce, they told (emphasis on 'told') the NCAA that they hadn't been given 24 hours to prep a response. The NCAA acquiesced and postponed their announcement. I highly doubt that's a legal requirement.

What does that tell you w.r.t. who's in charge of this process? While the above is just my opinion about what happened, it is indeed a plausible explanation.

"Hammer" them? You got a better chance of MC Hammer returning to the top of the charts today.

F'kng kidding me.

northgajacket

Banned
So IOW, when UNC saw that the NCAA was about to announce, they told (emphasis on 'told') the NCAA that they hadn't been given 24 hours to prep a response. The NCAA acquiesced and postponed their announcement. I highly doubt that's a legal requirement.

What does that tell you w.r.t. who's in charge of this process? While the above is just my opinion about what happened, it is indeed a plausible explanation.

"Hammer" them? You got a better chance of MC Hammer returning to the top of the charts today.

F'kng kidding me.

Yeah UNC brings in the big bucks, that is why they can get away so much bs.

Deleted member 2897

F'kng kidding me.

That's pretty much exactly how I read this: "We are North Carolina. We'll tell the NCAA when and what they can do." They didn't need to announce anything - they could have just stayed silent on all this. There was no purpose to this release, other than to show everyone who is in charge and who is the most arrogant.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Because when UNC does something bad, Cleveland State gets 3 years probation. Seriously, 99% (literally) of the NCAA revenue comes from March Madness. Do you really think they are going to punish one of the programs that makes them the most money annually? This will be a slap on the wrist and warning not to do it again.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
From what ive heard, the biggest issue is that fake classes aren't explicitly listed as a high level violation. Accreditation reviews may get them for that, but in terms of groundwork already established, the most likely punishment I see would be failure to monitor the program, which Louisville get for hookers (4 years post season probation) Rutgers for (2 years post season probation) Ohio State (1 year post season probation, 3 years probation).

I'd expect something inbetween. Last update I saw had just women's basketball on it, with reaserch still being done on men's football and basketball (which is my guess will come clean). Its hard to argue proof for basketball relative to the other programs when there is no "we directed students here" as was present with WBB and NCAAF teams. Should be interesting to see the results nonetheless, but id expect maybe a one year post season ban and a show cause for all the coaches regarding academics.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

You must be new to this sort of thing. Allow me to offer a brief primer on how the NCAA operates. If a school commits a blatant, totally undeniable violation such as what UNC has done then the next step to consider is the school. Obviously, if the violator is one of the bottom feeders, say Tulane or Iowa State then those that wield the hammer will utterly destroy any chance the program has of being relevant for at least the next decade. Now then, if the accused is one of the best and brightest an elite center of higher learning that has legions of fans with the capacity to make or break the bottom line say Alabama, UGA, Florida or in this case UNC then the offenders are summarily tapped lightly across the wrists and admonished to not get caught cough cough. You may think that this arrangement is unfair and not sporting. You would be right but the NCAA does not exist to ensure fairness in contests between the mighty and the lowly but to line their pockets while assuring the viewing public that all is well.