UNCheat

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA itself should be hit with "lack of institutional control." I mean give me a break...It's never been more clear to me than it is now how corrupt this stuff is. They know about all of this stuff ahead of time and these investigations and punishments are just a facade. It's time for serious reform in college sports with a governing body that actually has some control over what's going on.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
wow... unreal. Maybe the FBI basketball probe decides to do something about academic fraud at a public tax payer funded university.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I. I believe. I believe the ncaa’s a joke!

That’s how the chant goes for the next 4 years while we wait on team USA right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Seems I recall some on this board predicting the NCAA would rule this way. The reason is these classes were offered to general student population... not exclusively to SAs.

Same posters surmised that academic accreditation problems or consequences may result which could be very damaging to UNC. Is that still a possibility? Who's the governing body there?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
How many non-athletes actually got into these classes though? Don't athletes register for classes first so they probably "filled up" before the regular student body could register?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems I recall some on this board predicting the NCAA would rule this way. The reason is these classes were offered to general student population... not exclusively to SAs.

Same posters surmised that academic accreditation problems or consequences may result which could be very damaging to UNC. Is that still a possibility? Who's the governing body there?

I hope so. Unfortunately, whatever governing board is likely choc full o' Tarheel grads looking for every way to sidestep the decreditation (is that a word?) they know they deserve.

@orientalnc , you're our boots on the ground in NC. Make yourself useful and figure out who the folks are that'll be ruling on UNC's accreditation and how this cheating impacts them.

Deleted member 2897

How many non-athletes actually got into these classes though? Don't athletes register for classes first so they probably "filled up" before the regular student body could register?

They were high percentage athletes. Furthermore, they weren't publicly published. So I'm sure their friends and such heard about the classes through them in order to find them in the first place to register. There weren't many non-athletes in them. The fact there were any non-athletes in them is ultimately what saved them. So basically if you do something wrong, make sure you get enough friends to join you.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It was roughly 50 % athletes. Some frat boys knew about it if they could get in. Athletes got preference but they never admitted it. The WBB program was really involved and an academic adviser was allowed to retire. The prof running the AFAM program was allowed to retire and kept his state pension. The real fall out was butch Davis and assistants fired. AD retired. The president was replaced and he is now at Washington Univ. I was surprised that WBB coach got a new contract. MBB is basically untouchable at UNC. The AFAM program was really just a sham to keep athletes eligible. Seems like I remember a few years ago that M Jordan gave a lot of money to it.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
So if you want to cheat just make sure non-athletes benefit too...
This is why they won't face any possible NCAA repercussions from the FBI/Adidas scandal. I'm sure they'll come out with evidence that their regular students received bribes from shoe companies to attend (u)NC, just like their athletes.:rolleyes:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I had said that it should go this way. I don't remember that I predicted one way or another. These offenses were squarely the responsibility of the University and the accreditation authority. The bigger problem in my opinion is that the SACS penalties have already taken place and in my opinion were very light. They were on accreditation probation for one year. I don't know much about accreditation. Some on this board do. It seems very odd to me that schools that: Have political people replace board members(Louisville), or have financial issues(Art Institute of Atlanta): receive the same or greater punishment than a school that has purely bogus classes that count for a degree. If a school can use many hours of no-show, no-work to count toward a degree and still be accredited, I don't understand what good accreditation does in the first place.

Deleted member 2897

I had said that it should go this way. I don't remember that I predicted one way or another. These offenses were squarely the responsibility of the University and the accreditation authority. The bigger problem in my opinion is that the SACS penalties have already taken place and in my opinion were very light. They were on accreditation probation for one year. I don't know much about accreditation. Some on this board do. It seems very odd to me that schools that: Have political people replace board members(Louisville), or have financial issues(Art Institute of Atlanta): receive the same or greater punishment than a school that has purely bogus classes that count for a degree. If a school can use many hours of no-show, no-work to count toward a degree and still be accredited, I don't understand what good accreditation does in the first place.

Only if you believe they were set up and run to aid and inflate the grades of the general student population. If you believe they were actually intended to help athletes, and that regular students also found their way in there, it absolutely is the NCAAs purview. There is tons of circumstantial evidence to support this. Like why weren't the classes published in the main listings on line and in registration catalogs? Why would they be hidden like that? How come the academic advisors in the athletic association knew about them but not the regular academic advisors?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Only if you believe they were set up and run to aid and inflate the grades of the general student population. If you believe they were actually intended to help athletes, and that regular students also found their way in there, it absolutely is the NCAAs purview. There is tons of circumstantial evidence to support this. Like why weren't the classes published in the main listings on line and in registration catalogs? Why would they be hidden like that? How come the academic advisors in the athletic association knew about them but not the regular academic advisors?
User error.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I don't know the answers to those questions. Obviously the NCAA doesn't either. However, I would follow up with questions that to me seem more relevant and more concerning:

• Why is UNC still accredited if they allowed many people athlete and non-athlete to graduate based on bogus credits?
  • Why does UNC not vacate the degrees of EVERYONE athlete and non-athlete whose degree included and required those credit hours to graduate?
  • Why is UNC still a member of the AAU after admitting to providing grades, credits, and degrees to students who did absolutely no course work(in those classes)?
People seem to believe that the NCAA is the most powerful and important governing body in the world. That is definitely not the case. If people lost their degrees, there would be an uproar. Those people SHOULD lose their degrees because they didn't complete the work required for an actual degree. If UNC were to lose accreditation, I believe that would cause issues with federal grants and loan guarantees. I know it would cause issues with research grants. People believe that if UNC athletics are hammered, that that would prove something to the school. UNC athletics revenues are about $100million per year. UNC conducts about $1billion in resarch per year. How would it affect the school if accreditation were pulled and they lost $1billion per year in resarch? Athletic minded people think that it would hurt much worse to lose athletic funding. The school budget is about $3billion per year. How would it affect the school if federal grants weren't available and there were no federal guarantees on student loans to students there? They would most likely lose many-many students. Athletic minded people think that it would hurt much worse to lose athletic funding.

My biggest point is that an accredited member of the AAU admitted to giving out fake diplomas. I don't really care if the NCAA does anything or not based on the fact that the school was doing this not the athletic department. However, something more harsh SHOULD have been done to the school which admitted to producing worthless diplomas. UNC did even less for people with affected degrees than the degree mill so called schools that you see on late night television ads.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the answers to those questions. Obviously the NCAA doesn't either. However, I would follow up with questions that to me seem more relevant and more concerning:

• Why is UNC still accredited if they allowed many people athlete and non-athlete to graduate based on bogus credits?
  • Why does UNC not vacate the degrees of EVERYONE athlete and non-athlete whose degree included and required those credit hours to graduate?
  • Why is UNC still a member of the AAU after admitting to providing grades, credits, and degrees to students who did absolutely no course work(in those classes)?
People seem to believe that the NCAA is the most powerful and important governing body in the world. That is definitely not the case. If people lost their degrees, there would be an uproar. Those people SHOULD lose their degrees because they didn't complete the work required for an actual degree. If UNC were to lose accreditation, I believe that would cause issues with federal grants and loan guarantees. I know it would cause issues with research grants. People believe that if UNC athletics are hammered, that that would prove something to the school. UNC athletics revenues are about $100million per year. UNC conducts about $1billion in resarch per year. How would it affect the school if accreditation were pulled and they lost $1billion per year in resarch? Athletic minded people think that it would hurt much worse to lose athletic funding. The school budget is about $3billion per year. How would it affect the school if federal grants weren't available and there were no federal guarantees on student loans to students there? They would most likely lose many-many students. Athletic minded people think that it would hurt much worse to lose athletic funding.

My biggest point is that an accredited member of the AAU admitted to giving out fake diplomas. I don't really care if the NCAA does anything or not based on the fact that the school was doing this not the athletic department. However, something more harsh SHOULD have been done to the school which admitted to producing worthless diplomas. UNC did even less for people with affected degrees than the degree mill so called schools that you see on late night television ads.
North Carolina should be given the same stiff penalties that Ole Miss was given in 1992 since the Tarholes are doing what Ole Miss did then.