UNC

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We lose, 7-4. We had two called strike threes with the tying run at the plate in the B9. Great work by Shadday- typical work by the bullpen.

Deleted member 2897

A miracle saved us from being swept at Miami. Same again against UNC. Well, maybe not a miracle. But it wouldn't hve taken much luck to be 0-6 in the ACC right now.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We gave away two games this week end. I thought moving Peurifoy out of CF was a poor move. Craport has played very badly at third. The first bobble at third was a carbon copy of the same play at Miami. The overthrow was one of the worst throw to first I have ever seen.We had the lead run thrown out twice and and let him score anyway. Our defense is far worse than last season with many of the same players. We should just quit wasting our time with the bottom half of out pitching staff, they are Connie Mack level talent.
We have turned a 3-3 ACC record into 2-4 and are fortunate to have won the 2.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
A miracle saved us from being swept at Miami. Same again against UNC. Well, maybe not a miracle. But it wouldn't hve taken much luck to be 0-6 in the ACC right now.
It wouldn't have taken much luck for us to be 5-1 in the ACC too. I think that we have the weekend rotation set now and all 3 are freshmen which is really exciting. We just simply ran out of pitching and Zac was overused this weekend. It might be hard to see right now, but this team is on the right track now that the rotation is set. The bullpen just needs to shore things up in a big way.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing loss. We had a chance to put em away up 4-0 w runners on second & third w one out in the sixth (?) I think. IIRC Bart & Kel up and neither could put it on play. The middle relief for UNC was money. The inning UNC took the lead was awful. Looked like miscommunication between Willhite & Pure on the soft popup. It would have been a tough play for The outfielder, but make able. I wonder if Chase makes tha play if he's in left?? And then the debacle on the bunt. Two chance to cut the runner down and we can't throw and catch. And finally, they GIVE us opportunities in the 8th & 9th by dropping/losing popups in the sun and we fail to capitalize. As discussed before, the margin for this team is razor thin
& we are going to have to do a lot better of taking advantage of opportunities and not giving opportunities, or in two or three weeks we are all going to be talking about the miracle run we will need (and usually get) to make the regionals

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We gave away two games this week end. I thought moving Peurifoy out of CF was a poor move. Craport has played very badly at third. The first bobble at third was a carbon copy of the same play at Miami. The overthrow was one of the worst throw to first I have ever seen.We had the lead run thrown out twice and and let him score anyway. Our defense is far worse than last season with many of the same players. We should just quit wasting our time with the bottom half of out pitching staff, they are Connie Mack level talent.
We have turned a 3-3 ACC record into 2-4 and are fortunate to have won the 2.
Agree on Peurifoy--he has been great in CF. He may have gotten to that ball which resulted in a triple and he also may have had a couple of chances throwing runners out (although he had a chance in LF and didn't make it happen today). We definitely fell apart.

Unless Shadday said he was done or was at 80+ pitches, I may have sent him out there until he let a runner on.

The bullpen outside of Datoc, Ryan, and Winborne is no doubt struggling. I'd like to see Gibson get some mound time in relief as he did well in that role last year. Dulaney definitely has good stuff--just has to throw strikes. Need Parr to get healthy.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing loss. We had a chance to put em away up 4-0 w runners on second & third w one out in the sixth (?) I think. .... As discussed before, the margin for this team is razor thin
& we are going to have to do a lot better of taking advantage of opportunities and not giving opportunities, or in two or three weeks we are all going to be talking about the miracle run we will need (and usually get) to make the regionals
It was the 5th inning. You are so RIGHT about the chance to "put them away" there. Naming names...the culprits were Wilhite and Bailey. Both struck out. For the most part (this season), Ga Tech has been money in these situations. In fact, we've had quite a few 2 out rallies too. Really putting teams away in the early/middle innings after beating up the starter. Of course, that was against lesser competition. Up until this sequence in bottom of the 5th, this game had that feel. We'd gotten to the bullpen after getting some runs in the early innings and stood to get another crooked number on the board...moving to last half of the game up by 6+ runs.

Credit UNC's pitching staff...they are the best we've faced all year. It's not your average college bullpen either. As often happens, UNC came up in the top of the 6th with a 'good feeling' having just worked out of that jam and looking at a new pitcher. They responded with 3 runs and carried that momentum through to the end of the game.

This one hurts... but gotta somehow learn from it and move on. Short memories required.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't have taken much luck for us to be 5-1 in the ACC too. I think that we have the weekend rotation set now and all 3 are freshmen which is really exciting. We just simply ran out of pitching and Zac was overused this weekend. It might be hard to see right now, but this team is on the right track now that the rotation is set. The bullpen just needs to shore things up in a big way.
Agree about over use of Zac and would have liked to see Shadaday into later inning. But too many Ks in both Miami and UNC series. UNC does seem to have great pitching depth. Tonight we see how consistent Ben is. More important to beat UNC than Auburn IMHO. Not sure why Ben not used in Rubber game UNC series.