UNC vs Tech point spread

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
A "little high" is it? Depends on what kind of game it becomes. A track meet or an old fashioned bend don't break 80's style meat grinder. Last week's UNC - UVA game is what the Tar Heels like.

UNC won 59-39 with a total of 98 points scored and UVA was throwing into the Carolina end zone at the end of the game.
Take a gander at these stats:
Combined 62 first downs
Total yards UNC 696 UVA 559 Combined 1,255 (Defense? What's that?)
UNC 392 yards rushing UVA 21 After watching this game, I am convinced that UNC won because of their running game in the second half limited UVA's possessions a little bit. Both Chandler and Howell had over 100 yards rushing with Chandler getting 198.

UVA had 538 yards passing but UNC's Downs had 203 yards receiving and scored 2 TDs along with Brown adding another 75 yards in receptions with 1 TD UVA has an outstanding tight end and two speedy wide receivers, a fine quarterback and an outstanding offensive line but two turnovers and a couple of drives that went wasted was too much to overcome.

We have no chance against Carolina in this kind of game. Mason, Gibbs, and Smith have to run, run, and run some more. Grind it out and limit their possessions and pray for turnovers.
Carolina is more than capable of blowing through that spread.
100 % Agree we have to get consistent running with our 4 RBs if we are supposed to have one of the best RB crews in ACC they and the o-line need to show up we must control TOP against N.C. I like Yates again running this offense intermediate/short passing to complement a good running attack and scoring in the Red Zone. We have a pretty solid secondary but they can't cover forever so you do have to get pressure going 4-5 man rushes.

If we offensively we end up with stat line below and hold TOP I believe we win something like 34-27 or something like that... Honestly Virginia got hosed because they couldn't run the ball I think they had something like 50 yards total and couldn't run in 2nd half and fell behind and abandon it completely.
250+ yards on the ground
225+ yards passing

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I think slowing the game down is right. But I think a combo of run and pass is okay with Yates. He seems very confident throwing the short to medium passes and that allows you to control clock. Just saying run the ball based on our OL currently and what we have seen so far this year doesn't seem likely to be successful. We certainly have the skill at the running back position but the OL has struggle to open up holes. Obviously I would expect that against Clemson but we also struggled against Northern Illinois who got killed last week by Michigan.
You got to believe NC will know we will want to control the game flow and use the intermediate passing hitches and curls they won't be giving as much cushion but this is where Kyric, McCollum, Gibbs, D. Smith will come in hand moving in slots and and causing mismatches that will have to be used.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Unless things have changed with the 3-3-5, precise throwing QBs are our Kryptonite. Or, should I say, Pyrethrins. So Howell will be a real challenge for us if history is any indication.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
100 % Agree we have to get consistent running with our 4 RBs if we are supposed to have one of the best RB crews in ACC they and the o-line need to show up we must control TOP against N.C. I like Yates again running this offense intermediate/short passing to complement a good running attack and scoring in the Red Zone. We have a pretty solid secondary but they can't cover forever so you do have to get pressure going 4-5 man rushes.

If we offensively we end up with stat line below and hold TOP I believe we win something like 34-27 or something like that... Honestly Virginia got hosed because they couldn't run the ball I think they had something like 50 yards total and couldn't run in 2nd half and fell behind and abandon it completely.
250+ yards on the ground
225+ yards passing
Unfortunately, one reason why UVA churned out over 500 yards total offense and their share of the 62 combined first downs is the Cavalier offensive line is far better than ours allowing the Cavalier quarterback to look over the whole field and find someone open. UNC is not a good match up for us. The question in my mind is which team can climb the heights to get up for this game? Both of them were extended emotionally and physically.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So I have a question for those of you who know a lot more about these things than me (most of you probably.) It seems like we are always playing soft coverage and when we are in M2M our defensive backs rarely turn to locate the ball when the receiver turns. Am I seeing those things wrong and if not, is it on purpose (a style of defense) or just not being executed as planned?

I'm asking because of how difficult it is for us to deal with precise QBs. Not that it is easy for anyone, but I think we defend them particularly poorly.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching the UNC-UVa replay. Saturday may become a track meet in our secondary.
We've heard about how deep our Secondary is and that's it's probably our strongest unit they will get a huge test Saturday thats for sure... well need the Iveys, Dominecks, Kennards, Claytons, and hopeful Whites to get some pressure going Saturday.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So I have a question for those of you who know a lot more about these things than me (most of you probably.) It seems like we are always playing soft coverage and when we are in M2M our defensive backs rarely turn to locate the ball when the receiver turns. Am I seeing those things wrong and if not, is it on purpose (a style of defense) or just not being executed as planned?

I'm asking because of how difficult it is for us to deal with precise QBs. Not that it is easy for anyone, but I think we defend them particularly poorly.
Your post reminded me of a game we played against Miami in a deluge a few years ago. Our corners were 10+ yards away from the LOS and Richt bubble screened his way to victory. Ugh! Still burns.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Your post reminded me of a game we played against Miami in a deluge a few years ago. Our corners were 10+ yards away from the LOS and Richt bubble screened his way to victory. Ugh! Still burns.
Don't remind me...wasn't that the game that we hand in hand and on miami's last drive on a fourth down we tipped a pass and it fell into miami's receiver's hands as he was falling backwards almost onto the ground and he caught it for a 1st down? They retained possession and drove it for the winning score. If the tipped pass had hit the ground and not landed in the receiver's hands, we would have run the clock out and won.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Don't remind me...wasn't that the game that we hand in hand and on miami's last drive on a fourth down we tipped a pass and it fell into miami's receiver's hands as he was falling backwards almost onto the ground and he caught it for a 1st down? They retained possession and drove it for the winning score. If the tipped pass had hit the ground and not landed in the receiver's hands, we would have run the clock out and won.
Yes, that’s the one. Ugh.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Would have gone to a bowl too

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I know it isn't in Coach P's (see, not derogatory, but his last name is a nightmare to spell for me) playbook, but it sure seems like we have the personnel to mix in some two-back sets. Mason leading Gibbs or Smith seems like something we should add to the rotation if we are having trouble blocking at the line.
we have run both gibbs and mason (typically with gibbs in the slot with motion).

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
we have run both gibbs and mason (typically with gibbs in the slot with motion).

Oh yeah. You're right. I was thinking more traditional 2-back, but with the motion you effectively get the same thing when you snap it with the motion guy in the mix.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Good question and one that I am not qualified to answer but I do know that the rules totally favor the offensive lines and the development of quarterbacks and receivers is such that even the very best defensive backs are at a huge disadvantage to the point that games like Tech and Clemson last week are increasingly rare while track meets masquerading as football games such as UNC and UVA are becoming common place. I have noticed that one of the most important factors in which team wins a game is who can get pressure on the other team's quarterbacks. UNC countered UVA's pressure with a nifty running attack. I trust that an ever merciful Providence will put this notion of running most of the time in the UNC offensive minds for our game.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Oh yeah. You're right. I was thinking more traditional 2-back, but with the motion you effectively get the same thing when you snap it with the motion guy in the mix.
I personally love this look because the defenses have shown they want to sell out to stop Gibbs. It is also nice because Mason is a good run blocker and can lead block for Gibbs as well.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I personally love this look because the defenses have shown they want to sell out to stop Gibbs. It is also nice because Mason is a good run blocker and can lead block for Gibbs as well.
Shouldn’t we just use a Fullback and not risk our Senior Running Back? If the plan is to have him block then get a blocker like a TE or FB and not a RB

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn’t we just use a Fullback and not risk our Senior Running Back? If the plan is to have him block then get a blocker like a TE or FB and not a RB
The plan is to have multiple threats.

Mason is a grown man, and with his experience as a BBack, I doubt he shies away from blocking assignments.