UNC vs Tech point spread

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Gotsis call was textbook targeting according to the rule book, from which I posted the rules as they stood in 2015. Helmet to helmet is a no no regardless of whether it's the crown or not.

Edit to add I just rewatched it and the helmet did not come off.
If I remember, it came up exposing his chin and jaw, but that was several years ago at this point. I also remember his facemask starting in the QB's chest and moving up. That's not textbook targeting, but it is textbook tackling. Head up, face in his chest, wrap your arms, and pull as you push. That was how I was taught to tackle through someone as to not get hurt (spearing is dangerous to the tackler more than the tackled).

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The rule is as follows:

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player

ARTICLE 4.
No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1- 4-I-VI)

A couple of things to note:

1. If the player is defenseless, helmet to helmet is illegal, regardless of whether it is the crown or the facemask.
2. If it's in question, the ref's are instructed by rule to throw the flag.

Gotsis call stunk for us, and changed the game, but was probably the right call per point 2 of the rule.
2. If the player in question is in Carolina blue then the refs' are instructed by the ACC to throw the flag. FIFY

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If I remember, it came up exposing his chin and jaw, but that was several years ago at this point. I also remember his facemask starting in the QB's chest and moving up. That's not textbook targeting, but it is textbook tackling. Head up, face in his chest, wrap your arms, and pull as you push. That was how I was taught to tackle through someone as to not get hurt (spearing is dangerous to the tackler more than the tackled).

A lot of textbook tackling from our generation can get you thrown out of games these days. That's why I disagree with these rules as currently written.