UNC Postgame

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Listening to PJ's postgame....He says we are playing 4 freshmen when it benefits him but other times he says "after 9 or whatever the number games they played so far that there not freshmen anymore." Come on PJ which is it? Excuses are getting old.

While Mills and Braun have played most of the season, this was Cooper's first action at C, IIRC, and Lee has only played in the last few games.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This team isn't even an embarrassment to the last 25 years. Have you already forgot the Bill Lewis years? There are at least 4-5 teams worse than us in our frickin conference.

Bill Lewis was bad. OMG. A terrible era. And Bill Curry's first few years were awful, just awful. (We did beat Bama though, and tie ND ... two great games!)

It's not always the coach. The AA laid down and watched our program deteriorate to the state it became in Curry's time. And it has gone dark for at least the last 5 years.

I hope Todd cleans house and decides to push football again. It only pays for all of the other sports.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
UNC did to us what I expected Clem to do. It was going to happen at some point, since we have not made any progress on D.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our D linemen engage the OL rather than play gaps. They can play 5 or 6 on 4 and with the holding now allowed, we have no chance getting off blocks in time. The DL would do better lining into gaps and doing some line stunts on passing situations. Even when we blitz on 3rd downs, the OL is able to pick it up and the ball is coming our very quickly on slants and quick outs as well. The scheme we are using is just not good enough with the talent that we have. Their guys are beating our guys at the line and we make it easier for them with the style we play.

I know you guys will feel better if CTR is fired, but it will not improve our personnel. Our LBs and D tackles would not start at most division 1 schools. Nuff said.
Regardless of whether they would start at most division 1 schools, I believe they could be coached and taught to play better than they are doing. They might not succeed in everything they try, but at least try.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have talent, to say anything other than that makes you sound like the mutts this year. Are we getting the best out of our talent..... not even close. Our SA deserve better coaching than they are getting right now.
Yes and no. The problem is two fold: talent and coaching. One or maybe two of our starters would sniff the field for our competition. Saben couldn't win with that.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, the talent left from Peppers last years for Curry was immmm...minimal. The talent on this team is substantial compared to that.
It's middle of the pack talent - but we play worse than that.
But I am not seeing - even in this recruiting class, anything getting better. No real LB talent - though, a couple of years ago when these kids were recruited we were assured that a few of them might be good despite their stature.
DL ? - well it doesn't matter, does it? No matter what we get as star rated there, we coach them only to get skewered on an O lineman and dance there until the opposing QB completes the pass. That is not hard either because, our D backs aren't within 5 yards of the opponents WR anyway.
LBs - well ,I don't know what they are doing. Should play them on O - they get separation in space. They don't do anything in space but miss tackles, but hey, they get free in space. Nice clean uniforms to boot! Bonus!
Yes, I am ranting, but in every rant there is an element of truth. This time several elements.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but ... Curry had never coached before. Bobby Dodd was tutoring him on coaching.

Still, Curry would still be here today except for quitting the job. The ultimate Tech Man. Not winning em all ... but enough.

6 TDs and 2 FGs on 9 drives? If the Swillings are only coming here to play for Uncle Roof, then they might need to start shopping around. I just don't understand how we're that bad on defense. We had talent and depth this year.
We have little talent and no depth. That is problem.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Acknowledging Rivals offers are never 100% accurate, here's one gauge of talent (non true frosh).

DL
Pat Gamble (RS Sr) - BC, UGA, Ole Miss, Miss St, Stanford, UVA
KeShun Freeman (Jr) - BC, Duke, Louisville, Miami, Ole Miss, Miss St, UNC, NC St, Stanford, Tennessee, WV
Anree Saint-Amour (Soph) - Arkansas, BC, Cal, Iowa, Louisville, Mich St, Ole Miss, Miss St, Mizzou, Ohio St, Stanford, Tennessee
Rod Rook-Chungong (RS Sr) - BC, Duke, Louisville, Mich St, Miss St, NC St, Purdue, Stanford, UVA
Francis Kallon (RS Sr) - Arkansas, Auburn, BC, Duke, FSU, NC State, Stanford, Tennessee, Vandy, UVA
Kyle Cerge-Henderson (Soph) - BC, Miss St, Mizzou, Oregon St, Pitt, UVA, WV
Brentavious Glanton (RS Fr) - Cal, Indiana, NC St, Tennessee
Antonio Simmons (Jr) - No P5 listed
Desmond Branch (RS Soph) - No P5 listed
Tyler Merriweather (RS Soph) - No P5 listed
Trent Sellers (RS Fr) - No P5 listed

LB
Terrell Lewis (Jr) - LSU, Miami, Nebraska
Brant Mitchell (Soph) - Duke, Louisville, Miss St, Tennessee
Vic Alexander (Soph) - Florida, Miami, UNC, UCLA, Utah, VT
David Curry (RS Fr) - Iowa St, UVA
Tyler Cooksey (Rs Fr) - BC, Duke, Iowa, Louisville, Miss St, Mizzou, UNC, NC St, Tennessee, Texas A&M
P.J. Davis (Sr) - No P5 listed
Chase Alford (Sr) - Walk on

DB
AJ Gray (Soph) - UNC
Austins (Jr) - Miss St, South Carolina
Step Durham (Jr) - Duke, Louisville, Mich St, Ole Miss, Miss St, Nebraska, UNC, NC St, South Carolina, Tennessee
Lamont Simmons (RS Soph) - Arkansas, Auburn, UGA, Mich St, UNC, Penn St, Tennessee, VT, USC
Meiko Dotson (RS Fr) - Indiana, Iowa St, Wisconsin
Corey Griffin (RS Jr) - Indiana only P5 listed
Dorian Walker (RS Fr) - Purdue only P5 listed
Christian Campbell (RS Frosh) - Arizona St only P5 listed
Shaun Kagawa (Jr) - No P5 listed
Jalen Johnson (RS Soph) - No P5 listed